Guthrie Govan With The Axe FX III

AndrewJay

Inspired
I was watching some footage of the recent Hans Zimmer tour and I noticed that Guthrie is using the Axe III. It's exciting to see (and more importantly hear) a device that is special to me being utilized by one of the most remarkable musicians out there with one of my favorite composers to play some of my favorite music. I recognize that Guthrie must be very busy, but I am interested in how he comes up with patches that has to fit into such dense music. Hopefully one day we could get some insight into this, but until then we have the most important thing, which is the music and performance.

Here is a nice photo of his Axes.

He's been a user since I remember getting the ultra about 12 or so years ago! He's a long time user of the axe and whatever he gets his hand on to be honest, a true guitar genius! 🎸

I have a pic I've posted before... When I attended the G4 Experience back in 2015, his brand new FX8 was delivered to the facility's lobby while I happened to be waiting there for something (The Aristocrats were featured artists).

I didn't actually know it was his until he mentioned receiving it during one of his sessions.

I became a huge fan of his during the time he played with Steven Wilson.

The lead on “Drive Home“ is nothing less than beautiful.

EDIT - this is another favorite of mine - he’s recording the lead on another Steven Wilson tune “Regret #9”

That is one of the most incredibly inspired solos I’ve heard! Remarkable!

Ah, Guthrie. My favorite guitarist. He's just the full package.

He's so well-rounded, an excellent teacher, and honestly a very approachable guy. If we're sharing Guthrie moments, I'd like to share the first video of his I ever saw.

That part at 1:02.. man, what a player. His phrasing is immaculate. That's all improvised.

At the end of the day, guys like Misha Mansoor made me aware of the Axe FX. Guthrie convinced me to buy one.

He's so well-rounded, an excellent teacher, and honestly a very approachable guy. If we're sharing Guthrie moments, I'd like to share the first video of his I ever saw.

That part at 1:02.. man, what a player. His phrasing is immaculate. That's all improvised.

At the end of the day, guys like Misha Mansoor made me aware of the Axe FX. Guthrie convinced me to buy one.

I’ve never seen that before - SO good !

I remember seeing this when it first came out and to this day think one of the coolest guitar jams I've ever heard. Guthrie is amazing but the backing guitar is just as good in its own right. Rip Michael casseell

If I could time travel, I'd buy a bunch of Dogecoin when it was brandnew and tell my younger self to learn hybrid picking!!! Is it too late to learn? uggh.

Just curious what makes you think that.
Obviously he's worked hard, that's pretty clear, but the not gifted part less so, to me.
Agreed, the huge respect he has from other players suggests there's plenty of "gift" there too

I was fortunate enough to have lessons with Jamie Humphries (who some of you may be familiar with) a few years back and remember him speaking about Guthrie in extremely complimentary terms with regards to both his musicality and his technique

Back
Top Bottom