Guthrie Govan sat in with us in Manchester

Hi Fractal Friends,
I haven't been on the site in a while. I'm using the Axe II currently and I have been enjoying all of the new features in 3.02. Last Night in Manchester England my friend Guthrie Govan came on stage and joined us during the song "Chunga's Revenge." He played through my back up Axe-Fx on a patch we made that featured a Friedman amp model.

Guthrie has his own axe effects and has only recently been dialing it in. Last night was his first time using in ear monitors and an Axe effects in a live situation.

If anyone is curious to hear it I have posted a small clip of the Front Of House Mix on my site.

DZ and Guthrie Govan - Dweezil Zappa World

I've also just released a new CD called Dweezil Zappa - Live "In The Moment." It features live recordings done with my Axe-Fx rig over the last 3 years on tour.

Dweezil Zappa - Live "In The Moment" - Dweezil Zappa World

Regards, DZ

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweeeeeet! Thanks for sharing that Dweezil! Would have loved to have watched him from your viewpoint! :)

Last edited:
Now that is awesome! Thank you for sharing Dweezil. Very cool, great harmony and tones. Luv it!

Brave man updating to 3 right at the start of the tour. I hope everything is going well on the tour.

Already on the CD. :)

The evolution of rig schematics on his gear page is so indicative of how great it is to be a guitar player today. Simply amazing!

Just discovered Guthrie Govan not too long ago... great stuff and refreshing to listen to. Thanks for sharing and hanging out here for a bit.

Peace,

Thanks for keeping us in the loop Dweezil - it's always special when an artist takes the time out to be a part of a community like this :)

I saw Guthrie with Dave Kilminster 5/11 and after a great show we talk about lot of things. He is my idol since 2009 and now I love him even more! Guthrie is really a nice guy, very friendly. With some beers and sitting with us he gave us a lot of tips... even we teach him some spanish, now, he knows how to ask for another beer.
Well I asked if he know about the Axe Fx by Fractal audio and surprisingly he said: ooh yeah! Just recived one Axe Fx II yesterday!
In his words: "I normaly don't like modelers but this thing is amazing" "it's different"
me: amazing?
G: Yes! amazing. You can do a lot of things with it, record, play live...

He said that he was all the day thinking about it. He had to take the plane (to play here) and wants to take the Axe again.

Wow really a great night!
If I receive my Axe before christmas I only need his Rasmus! and I'm sure I'll play like Guthrie!:lol

Sorry for my bad english.

That guy with red hair is Guthrie, is real! not an internet creation. And I'm the dumbass guy at right.:lol
gut.jpg

Last edited:
I had the pleasure of introducing Guthrie to the Axe-FX II when he visited Boston in September.

At that point he had heard great things about it and had played Dweezil's rig (an Ultra at the time) but he had never actually tried one out himself. So I setup my rig for him and he basically wailed on it for 3-4 hours while I twiddled knobs.

Guthrie has been using the Suhr Badger which to me sounds like a hot-rodded Marshall with a class-A power section. So I set him up with some hot rod Marshall tones like HBE and cranked Plexi and we played with sag and bias adjustments. He doesn't use clean channels very often so his sounds need to clean up real well with volume knob adjustment. He was very impressed with how that worked on the Axe-FX.

Berklee Professor Jon Finn stopped by and he was quite impressed as well.

Attachments

• 325729_2340701189863_1019916982_32662133_1516197275_o.jpg
    325729_2340701189863_1019916982_32662133_1516197275_o.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 134
Back
Top Bottom