AFIII Guthrie Govan Regret #9 Solo Cover

MattBowman

FAS Social Media Advocate
Continuing on with my Guthrie attempts, @patrickrussell and @creativespiral asked in my other thread to do a cover of Guthrie's incredible solo on the Steven Wilson song Regret #9, so here's my "attempt". This one took awhile to both learn(I know it's by no means perfect), and record. I did many, many takes, tried tone matching and several different patches, and finally yesterday I got this one recorded. I used a pretty basic patch I made with the Suhr amp model, and 2 Ownhammer Friedman V30 IR's which I got yesterday. I'm not at home so I'll see about exporting the preset tonight when I get home. I do have a screen shot of the cabs though, I'll post below. Gear was the orange Charvel you see in the video, Axe-Fx III with latest 5.05 Firmware, direct to Logic with no post processing. I couldn't find any backing tracks that sync'd up with the real track, so I just recorded over that and turned my guitar way up so you can differentiate it from the original. My fingers are killing me today after this one haha!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 7.02.38 AM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-04-08 at 7.02.38 AM.png
    188.9 KB · Views: 42
Continuing on with my Guthrie attempts, @patrickrussell and @creativespiral asked in my other thread to do a cover of Guthrie's incredible solo on the Steven Wilson song Regret #9, so here's my "attempt". This one took awhile to both learn(I know it's by no means perfect), and record. I did many, many takes, tried tone matching and several different patches, and finally yesterday I got this one recorded. I used a pretty basic patch I made with the Suhr amp model, and 2 Ownhammer Friedman V30 IR's which I got yesterday. I'm not at home so I'll see about exporting the preset tonight when I get home. I do have a screen shot of the cabs though, I'll post below. Gear was the orange Charvel you see in the video, Axe-Fx III with latest 5.05 Firmware, direct to Logic with no post processing. I couldn't find any backing tracks that sync'd up with the real track, so I just recorded over that and turned my guitar way up so you can differentiate it from the original. My fingers are killing me today after this one haha!

Great playing! Love that guitar too! I saw that color in a recent Sweetwater and was immediately drawn to it. How do you like that guitar? Any complaints?

Great playing! Love that guitar too! I saw that color in a recent Sweetwater and was immediately drawn to it. How do you like that guitar? Any complaints?
Thanks so much! For the price, I've never personally played a better guitar that retails for under $1K. The neck is incredible, just so comfortable. When I first got it I had a hard time keeping it in tune, but I put a Tremol-no on it and swapped out the neck pickup for a Duncan Distortion and I just love it! I may change the bridge pickup at some point as well, might go for the JB. But yeah, I Love it! I bring it as my teaching guitar so my Suhr doesn't have to worry about getting dinged up.

Back
Top Bottom