Guthrie Govan(ish) Live Sound - Patch Included

VidarAus

Experienced
Hi All,

I was working on a Greg Howe patch but got distracted by making a Guthrie Govan style tone (I mean, Guthrie draws inspiration from Greg right?). Man, what a player and what a great sound. I love the dark and woody tone he has. Might Guthrie go down in history as the best all-around player ever?

Anyways, I spent some time squinting at this video:

And was able to discern his Cornford overdriven amp settings in the clip, which are as follows when translated to the AXE III Cornfed model:

Input Drive - 7
Overdrive - 8
Bass - 4
Mid - 6.5
Treble - 4
Presence - 5
Depth - 5
Master Volume - 4

I didn't always have much luck with previous generations of fractal gear when just plugging in settings found on the front of amps, but this is turning out not to be the case with the III. The modelling is deadly accurate in this magical box, and now I spend most of my tweaking time trying out IR's as a few quick settings changes on the Authentic tab seems to be all the tweaking I need to do these days to get a killer amp part of the tone.

I created a patch with these settings and the Cornfed model, added a TS808 (Drv = 0, Level = 6) and added a little delay and reverb. I paired this with the 1x12 TRIPTIK MIX cab and I think this patch sounds great and definitely has a Guthrie vibe (minus his godly hands).

So here is the patch for anyone else that might like to try. For reference I was using an RG with a Tone Zone in the bridge and Air Norton in the neck when building the patch, but it works great with other guitars I have tried too. If you want a little more bite, unmute the 1x12 Class A IR in the cab block and/or also try raising the presence and treble. Have also tried a BB Pre in the front at stock settings which adds more sizzle and sounds great too.

By the way, is anyone else using the 1x12 TRIPTIK MIX IR? This seems to be a hidden jem to me. I just can't seem to fault this IR. I found it while trialing cabs using ears and not eyes. Boy am I glad I did. I have also never played with the Cornfed model - what an excellent amp.

Let me know what you think :)

Attachments

• Cornfed GG Live.syx
    48.2 KB · Views: 143
Last edited:
Its a bit smooth sounding on my rig but good. I'm using a EV mesa cab so that will account for the difference.

Thanks for the feedback! I was wondering how this might translate to other, quite different rigs (I use frfr studio monitors).

I think the tone is intentionally dialled in to be smooth as, at least to my ear, Guthrie seems to have a very smooth tone in that yt clip (remember that the settings used in the preset are pulled straight from knob positions shown in that video). This preset is essentially a match to the settings he was using, except for the cab but as you are using v30s which Guthrie was also using I think this says the tone he dialled in is meant to be smooth.

A lot of his tones seem to have this smoothness, and so does players like Greg Howe which I understand he draws a lot of inspiration from.

To add back some sizzle with your set-up you can boost the treble as it is currently quite low 4.5). There is heaps of range left there and on my rig it gets very crispy fast if you raise this. Boosting Presence will add more high end but smooth out the high end too. Experiment with lower and higher settings here.

Also try without the drive engaged to get a little more dynamics. Or back the gain on the amp down and put a drive in front with higher drive/level settings for some more crunch. Maybe try the bb pre.

Can I ask, what volume did you try the patch at? At lower volumes it is darker in my rig but at higher volumes it starts to open up and have more bite.

It's an EVL 200 in the mesa, and was playing low to medium volume (jazz gig volume max.)
I always had GG's smoothness down to his playing more than the gear. His actual amp is quite unforgiving and has a bite.

Sorry read the post too fast and didn’t see the EV. Yeah definitely a lot of his sound to do with his great playing. That amp has a lot of bite but seems the way he dials it in is darker and smoother (as per the clips and the settings which were replicated in the patch). Thanks again for the feedback.

Don't know how close it actually is, BUT it's a hella fun preset. I changed the CABS to some cab Fremen supplied TDR Fusion 4 and it sounds YUGE👌:D. Also for me, took the drive off the rhythm.

Thank you, jamming out this morning to a new binky, till the next one!

Back
Top Bottom