Guthrie Govan is the best guitar player alive today

Guthrie Govan is the best guitar player alive today

• Total voters
Would you say that Robert Johnson was ever the "best" guitarist? Does his work live on? Will it live on longer than such as Malmsteen or Govan? Time will tell.
I think this touches on another salient aspect: longevity. I was posting about Meshuggah here, and while some chide them, their longevity speaks pretty loudly. To boot, the fact their longevity is with a musician crowd, people who compared to most, in regard to music, are informed! Same with Dream Theater. I don't see Guthrie going down in the annals of guitar history as an era icon. (Don't feel badly though - look at Greg Howe and Jason Becker!)

In that regard, I can't think of any guitarists of the past decade (maybe longer) to whom I'd assign such a credit.

The Fractal, however? It's definitely going down in history. When I talk about it with people, I tell them it's the third most important guitar-related invention, following the guitar (#1) and the amplifier (#2). :encouragement:

Technical skill is only a tool to make music ,like the brand of guitar,amp etc.
How moving is the performance .
Listen to peter green or Blackmore or Hendrix, their skill is there but the feeling of the music is what make them unique.

Cliff can you take note of all the nay-sayers here and ban them from future updates... thanks

TBH, he is not the best song writer, not the most creative, not the most commercial, probably wont be remembered by anyone except guitarist, but his abilities are unique

Kind of like Bella fleck and the fleck tones, they have won more musical awards than anyone, yet nobody knows them

Pete Ham is one of my favorite Songwriters and he was also a very good guitarist, he wrote a song called Perfection I think you may like the lyrics to,

There is no real perfection There'll be no perfect day
Just love is our connection The truth in what we say
There's no good revolution Just power changing hands
There is no straight solution Except to understand
CHORUS:
So listen to my song of life You don't need a gun or a knife
Successful conversation will take you very far

There is no real perfection There'll be no perfect man
Just peace is our connection Forgiving all we can
There's no good kind of killing Just power taking life
It's all good blood that's spilling To make a bigger knife
CHORUS:
[guitar solo (Pete)]
CHORUS:
[guitar solo (Pete)].

Personally, I think the "who's best" debate is crap. No guitar player ever mastered every style of music that can be played on guitars. Music is an art form to be loved and enjoyed, not a competition. I am not into any guitar player that thinks music is a competition. I don't practice so I can kick ass on guitar, I practice so I can improve in my ability to create music on the instrument I have loved most of my life. Is Guthrie a great player? Absolutely. Thankfully, so are a lot of other people.

When I was 10 years old, I thought EVH was currently the best guitarist on the plant. By the time I was 20, I had gone through enough phases of worshipping various rock, blues, jazz, and even classical guitarists that I realized there is no ONE best guitarist on the planet.

BUT now... another 20 years goes by... and I have to say...

I'm closer to nominating Guthrie as "best overall 6-string non-classical guitarist on the planet" than I've been since... well... worshipping EVH as a kid in the 80's.

I believe Guthrie to be the most technically talented and versatile guitarist alive right now. He makes #1 on my list as well. However, if we narrow the fields down to the masters of each respective genre, I'd say Tommy Emmanuel has Guthrie outmatched. I know that's an apples to oranges comparison but I have never seen anyone who blew me away more than Tommy. Even if he rarely touches an electric guitar, the man is unfathomably talented.

I've just come in from watching The Aristocrats play in my hometown tonight, and I must agree that while there's no such thing as 'best', in my opinion GG is the most 'complete' or 'all-rounded' virtuoso player I've seen. He can play phenomenally well in so many styles, effortlessly, he's almost like some kind of machine. And he is such a modest guy as well, it was a thoroughly humbling experience!!

He's a great player no doubt but am sure like many of you, I have friends who are also amazing on guitar yet no-one has heard of any of your / my friends.
Am currently managing a player who won and wowed competitions in front of Steve Vai, Joe Satriani, John Petrucci and others but can't catch a break despite being endorsed by many companies.
Funny how the world works.
Google Daddo Oreskovich if you'd like to hear something new ( and likewise, fire any other amazingly talented but not famous ) players my way - there are so many of them out there.
Nothing against Guthrie though - love his music / videos and have lots of his work.

That sounds like somebody who hasn't listened to The Aristocrats... seriously, they are advanced players but there is some good, raw playing in there too. :)
actually i bought the the self titled album two years ago but have only listened to it once.
will give it another whirl again...:encouragement:

This is the song that got me hooked on GG, and the first song i heard of his, though he actually wrote it about 20 years ago

beautiful song

Nice... His music definitely isn't commercial, mainly because he dosent twerk, and your average teenagers brain would explode on impact of such awesomeness

Back
Top Bottom