Guthrie Govan is the best guitar player alive today

Guthrie Govan is the best guitar player alive today

• Total voters
chet atkins could shred like no one else as well, check at old you tube vids of him, sweep picking and two hand tapping, long before EVH and Ace Frehely lol.

that's another thing I really admire about him....how humble he is. He seems to be totally free of any ego or pretentiousness. Very refreshing...
+1 I went to a clinic he did a few years ago, met him afterwards told him how much I enjoyed his awesome playing & asked to shake his hand, he genuinely seemed surprised and pleased that I had enjoyed it. Very modest guy for such a monster talent.

Yeah fu%k it.

It IS a competition,
And he is clearly the best at it!

Usain Bolt is testament to the FACT that there is one person who is better than everyone else!

Art is also a competition and is not subjective at all. (regardless of who you are)
ie. Michelangelo was quite obviously better than Warhol or Pollock..therefore Michelangelo wins!

There is always a winner, and in this case it is Guthrie Govan.

..don't question it!

Love GG extremely. Didn't vote. Something threw me off about the concept...

But I like the quirky jazz-icity without getting so far out I can't make heads or tails of it anymore. I don't like free jazz, but GG certainly has a jazz vibe going on. Once you slow it down...

EvH had quirkyness, although I think GG knows what he's doing more than EvH. Those two are my faves. So far.

'Notes Per Minute' isn't the sort of measurement that interests me very much. Over a certain number, and they merge together anyway - depending in reverb and delay settings. But I like Mr Govan's manner and he can play. I also like lots of other guitarists too, as I think the majority of right-thinking people here are probably sick and tired of being sick and tired of saying. Gary Clark Junior for example... there's a dude who doesn't bother with speed, but it works.

I've been a follower of Guthrie ever since I read/heard a transcription (d/theater - "under a glass moon") of his in Guitar Techniques - I was blown away then by the accuracy.. Since then I've heard his stuff with Dizzee Rascal ( played some blinding acoustic on the Jools holland show on TV over here in the UK), his solo album, a Jazz thing he's got going called "the Fellowship", the Aristocrats stuff & now the Steven Wilson gig...

Now I'm a massive fan of most of the iconic players that have already been mentioned on this thread, but for me the sheer versatility of his is unique.....

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

"Impressive".... I'm not sure that I go to see musicians to be impressed by their playing. But that's what some musicians do; and why some people like them. Personally, I go to be moved. Technique impresses; speed and all that. But for it to become music that moves you requires something else. Soul I suppose.... It gotta have soul.

I saw the Aristocrats last week at Manchester, 'Band On The Wall', it's the first time I've see Guthrie live and while that was excellent, at the end of the night I enjoyed listening to and watching Marco Minnemann more. Also it was a good pint of Guinness at the venue which helped.

Back
Top Bottom