Guthrie Govan FM9 Rig Rundown & Article

Guthrie did a fantastic couple of sessions on his rig at Vai Academy 6 - which is really just his Charvel's and an FM9. He demonstrated quite a few very interesting capabilities of the FM9. He was very generous with his time and very willing to share how he accomplished things. There were quite a few people that were obviously surprised at what was possible.

A lot of people were really surprised when they found out that Guthrie and @Larry Mitchell were just using their FM9s direct and had no problem hanging with Steve Vai's rig.

I wonder if Guthrie did all his work with Hans Zimmer using the FM9, or if he also has an Axe-Fx 3 in his studio? Based upon this demo video, though, it sure seems that the FM9 is more than capable of providing a very diverse array of sounds.

Last edited:
I wonder if Guthrie did all his work with Hans Zimmer using the FM9, or if he also has an Axe-Fx 3 in his studio? Based upon this demo video, though, it sure seems that the FM9 is more than capable of providing a very capable array of sounds.
He used the AXEIII with Hans live. One main III and a backup. He mentions this fact in his Pod cast from Feb as well as all the videos you can see the FC12 and two AF3's in the rack.

Chris seems like a bit of a digital modeling skeptic (which is what I used to be in the not so distant past). I think that made for a better interview because he asked the questions that many of the audience would want to ask. I prefer that to having someone like John Bohlinger who says that everything he hears sounds great (this is not to diss John as he seems like a very nice guy).

Last edited:
Awesome rig rundown, really enjoyed watching his thought process on how he applies the FM9 to his playing.

Maybe @unix-guy can share his anecdote here.
Since you asked ;)

Here's what I wrote in our conversation:

To paraphrase what Guthrie said to me yesterday (the F-bomb was his, which surprised me).

"For anyone who thinks there's a difference, they are wrong because there fucking isn't one."

Apparently watching Larry play with Steve at one of the concerts was the first time he'd heard an FM9 thru FOH.

And Larry's tone killed during that show!

Also Guthrie made pretty constant use of the FM9 Looper during his sessions.

Great to see Guthrie really diving into the power of the FM9 and Axe-Fx III. He's a clever soul all around.

Back
Top Bottom