Guthrie Govan Erotic cakes sounds

Cem

Experienced
How are you guys doing?

I'm lately trying to get that territory, not to play only covers of it but, I like the organicness of that album's guitar sounds. They are really, pure!

I know that he used Suhr badger 30 amp with badger 2x12 cabinet. But I really can't get any close there with badger using with v30 IRs.

What am I missing? What's the secret there? ( guitars do match)

Mmmmmmhhh I would say fingers and many more factors but I'm sure someone will chime in and dislike the finger-side ... So I stay with studio tricks and real mic position

Mmmmmmhhh I would say fingers and many more factors but I'm sure someone will chime in and dislike the finger-side ... So I stay with studio tricks and real mic position

We can do studio tricks with axe. And who the hell cares about mic position when you have axe?

And really, fingers? C'mon.

Well ... If guitar is the same ... And you're able to play exactly what Guthrie plays with same intensity and technique .... Then it's a Ir problem more than an amp problem... As you said Axe can do studio tricks

After seeing Guthrie play at a Steven Wilson gig and then at his guitar clinic I can 100% confirm fingers.

He had an entire section of his clinic dedicated to showing us how different you can make a guitar sound without touching any settings on any gear or the guitar. It was unreal.

He did a beatles tone, middle eastern sound, turkish sound and then a more contemporary thing all just by altering where he picked, how hard, pick angle etc

How are you guys doing?

I'm lately trying to get that territory, not to play only covers of it but, I like the organicness of that album's guitar sounds. They are really, pure!

I know that he used Suhr badger 30 amp with badger 2x12 cabinet. But I really can't get any close there with badger using with v30 IRs.

What am I missing? What's the secret there? ( guitars do match)

Erotic Cakes was Cornford amps, RK100, MK50 and Hellcat.

Guys. Seriously. I'm talking about something fundamental in amp. Not thinking that I'll become Guthrie if I set my badger right from the axe. Don't turn here into thegearpage. Really...

I love the tone Guthrie achieved on Erotic Cakes. Nothing short of legendary!
He may have used a Suhr Koko boost during those sessions to get that "extra push over the cliff" (as Nigel would say).
He typically uses .010 gauge strings and Red Bear picks.
Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom