Guthrie Govan Clinic

Cool, I'll have a look at that. He often has interesting points of view and info :)

Jens

If you have more recent clinic/ lesson stuff from Guthrie you are welcome to post it here :) i'm diggin this guys chops

Great video. I like his approach to the whole thing.

His melodic playing is excellent, but a lot of the fast stuff seems to lose any connection to the music. I'm more often defending shredders against comments like that, but this guy just seemed to add extra notes at random. It was probably all the more annoying to me because everything else he did was so interesting.
[/oldmanpants]

Great video. I like his approach to the whole thing.

His melodic playing is excellent, but a lot of the fast stuff seems to lose any connection to the music. I'm more often defending shredders against comments like that, but this guy just seemed to add extra notes at random. It was probably all the more annoying to me because everything else he did was so interesting.
[/oldmanpants]
Funny, my impression is the exact opposite. What amazes me about Guthrie is that his 'fast stuff' is very tasteful, melodic and full of little nuances. I get the feeling that this because he has such great control over the instrument that whether he's playing fast or not doesn't require any more effort. It's just a part of the improvisation and not a "must play fast NOW!" kinda deal.

I don't know if I was more amazed by his playing or by how frickin' personable and funny he was. You can tell that clinics are old hat for him, the guy keeps things moving and entertaining.

Thanks for posting it.

Funny, my impression is the exact opposite. What amazes me about Guthrie is that his 'fast stuff' is very tasteful, melodic and full of little nuances. I get the feeling that this because he has such great control over the instrument that whether he's playing fast or not doesn't require any more effort. It's just a part of the improvisation and not a "must play fast NOW!" kinda deal.
It might've been the audio in the webcast. He did enough awesome stuff that I'm willing to give him the benefit of the doubt. I want to check out his proper recordings now.

I saw he has a couple books out, but I don't know if I'd garner anything new from them. 19 years into playing the instrument, I know the basics of just about everything. The insights you get when someone is showing their personal approach to different techniques, like he did in this video, are what I really like to hear at this stage.

Back
Top Bottom