Guthrie and not touring his AxeFX2

Chuk

Inspired
I saw Guthrie Govan performing with Steven Wilson's band in Brisbane (Australia) on Saturday night. He was running his pedalboard through a hired Marshall JCM900.
Steven Wilson even made mention of the fact that 'they' (he & Guthrie) have to hire local backline when they tour and they both dislike Marshall amplification.
Guthrie's sound was okay but it didn't look to me like he was really enjoying it.
Why oh why wouldn't he tour with his AxeFX2 and take the whole lucky-dip hired backline amp out of the equation????
He is after all an advertised Fractal Artist.
Anyone know him well enough to ask?

I saw Guthrie Govan performing with Steven Wilson's band in Brisbane (Australia) on Saturday night. He was running his pedalboard through a hired Marshall JCM900.
Steven Wilson even made mention of the fact that 'they' (he & Guthrie) have to hire local backline when they tour and they both dislike Marshall amplification.
Guthrie's sound was okay but it didn't look to me like he was really enjoying it.
Why oh why wouldn't he tour with his AxeFX2 and take the whole lucky-dip hired backline amp out of the equation????
He is after all an advertised Fractal Artist.
Anyone know him well enough to ask?

I guess he is free to use what ever he feels like it right, i'm guessing he is not a payed endorser from Fractal so he has no obligation to use the Axe FX. Same happened with Suhr, Charvel came in, payed him a good deal now he uses a different guitar even tho he gave Suhr guitar a hell of an endorsement.

I was lucky enough to talk to him after the Aristocrats show in Philly. I asked him why the Badger instead of the AxeII. He said he had updated the firmware just before he left for the tour and did not have a chance to get comfortable enough with it for live use. This was right after 10 came out.

I also asked him if he went straight for the Badger model in the AxeII and he said no, actually he prefers the Freidman models.

Yeh I went to the show here in Melbourne last Wednesday and was expecting to see the AXEFX2, but no go.
I thought the portability/flexibility of the Axe would have made it a sure thing to use.
I thought his tone thru the JCM800 sounded OK and goes without saying his playing absolutely ripped.
It was a great gig all round (awesome bass sound from Nick Beggs too btw).
cheers

I would bet that with his schedule he doesn't have time to re-tune his presets until his turing is over.

I dont thinkd theres really a set way they do things. I imagine if I was a touring musician Id sometimes use my real amps and sometimes my AXE. Theyre all tools to get the job done and theyre all FUN....which is most important.

Premier Guitar interviewed him a while back and he said that his pedal board was designed to fit in his suitcase. An Axe Fx, especially with a with a pedal board, might be more than he wants to carry on a plane.

Premier Guitar interviewed him a while back and he said that his pedal board was designed to fit in his suitcase. An Axe Fx, especially with a with a pedal board, might be more than he wants to carry on a plane.

And exactly that is why next year there will be a FAA-approved carry-on size Axe FX in a pedalboard size will be announced! :p

Funny that you say this because Brian Beller's pedal board is about twice the size of Guthries. That sucker aint fitting in any overhead compartment :eek-new:
. One thing he said about the Badger is that it was just the right size for the venues they play, and the tone "feels like home". IIRC, his exact words were "it's delightfully quacky". He did say that he uses the AxeII alot in the studio. Like most people, it's all about what is most comfortable and will require the least amount of thinking/stress.

I was lucky enough to talk to him after the Aristocrats show in Philly. I asked him why the Badger instead of the AxeII. He said he had updated the firmware just before he left for the tour and did not have a chance to get comfortable enough with it for live use. This was right after 10 came out.

I also asked him if he went straight for the Badger model in the AxeII and he said no, actually he prefers the Freidman models.

It really does take time, careful planning, extensive preset tweaking and data management to make the most of the AXE FX II so that it is set up by the user to be the go-to stress-free no-brainer tool of choice for all gigs and applications.

Re: Guthrie - its pretty easy to see why a hired gun might forego dragging a rackmount case around the planet to Australia, opting instead to rent amps locally, and simply slip a peddle board into a suitcase with clothes and lug only that and a guitar around.

I used to travel internationally a lot in the '90s, Australia and elsewhere, for weeks at a time on business (quarterly US telecom/IT standard setting meetings and various trade mission delegations around the globe), and all while I was also attending law school. I would have a laptop bag, a suitcase full of suits, etc., and another full sized suitcase full of wood (basically law school books, court opinions and class notes). It was a colossal pain in the ass (and the back and the neck) to haul that for 20-24 hours with connecting flights ... and that was before the stiff baggage fees that we see today.

So its really easy to see why Guthrie may not have had his Axe in Australia (aside from the another possible reason that the OP mentioned above - Guthrie had updated the firmware just before he left for the Aristocrats tour and did not have a chance to get comfortable enough with the update for live use).

There is also another issue to consider - stereo v. mono presets. Lets say a Fractal artist has finely honed stereo presets that were created for and extensively used on the artist's own records or in their own live trio or quartet gigs where the guitarist wants a stereo footprint. These stereo presets in their AXE FX II might not translate well - or might not be welcome at all - at someone else's 5-6 piece gig (or larger) where the sonic landscape only calls for a mono guitar signal panned left of center from a FOH perspective.

Occasionally, I play with some folks in 5-6 piece bands that want mono instruments only that are then panned variously (L-R) to create a stereo landscape not of the guitar, but of the overall band (i.e., they do not want individual instruments in stereo - maybe keys and drums - but not individual guitars in stereo).

This stereo v. mono conundrum might be an area for FAS and its pro-artist and advanced Forum members to address over time - how to make the AXE FX II stereo-mono transition seamless for all gigging applications, without have to recreate two version of their favorite presets (one in stereo, one in mono). Maybe some sort of global effects block swapping or a Mono Mode switch like Cliff's excellent no-brainer Bass Cut switch.

:lol - I really have no idea what I am thinking here :lol truly clueless! :)

... and I would be delighted to hear that my thinking is over complicated and flat out wrong about this alleged stereo v. mono conundrum! ;)

I concur,
On his youtube jamtracks video for east city central lights the patch he was using was #25 HBE I believe.

I would bet that with his schedule he doesn't have time to re-tune his presets until his turing is over.

Well if this truley is the reason then this is a major challenge for cliff and company. If fw updates are impacting pro working musicians in this fashion then I could easily see them abandoning the product. However, If I was a touring musician then why would I jeopardize my rig knowing that I was about to go on tour. Honestly, I cant believe that Guthrie wouldnt use his Axe under this excuse. Plus he has the option of rolling back before touring. Would Vai and Petrucci do it? No, they would not do a hasty update to gain some new amp models, parameters, and rules. I.e. the new delay mix rule....

Most of us upgrade because we're hobbiests who luv chasing tone. I wouldnt even update my fw if I had a jam next day. I'd probably wait.

I would have thought the Axe-FX would have been a better way to go. It has international power capability, so no problem at all with the different voltages from USA -> Australia (120V -> 240V) etc. and would have eliminated the hassle of renting a whole backline from different vendors as he travelled across Australia. (Note: I remember the famous incident with Joe Bonamassa a couple of years back, when THREE OUT OF FOUR of his rented Marshalls blew up on stage during his gig in Newcastle).

Sure you may have to fine tune for each venue FOH system, but I would have thought that it wouldn't take much more effort than fine tuning each hired rig at each venue.

Plus, I am sure there are Axe-FX II users in all cities he tours in who would be willing (nay, clamouring) to offer him their unit as a safety backup should his own fail on tour.

Don't update FW before you tour. I don't get it. After every firmware release we hear how everything sounds so perfect so why always the rush to upgrade!?

Guthrie prefers playing thru tube amps live. I think that is perfectly clear if you are even a casual fan of his.

Just because he digs things about the Axe II doesn't mean he thinks it can replace his tubes.....

I only recently discovered the phenomenon that is Guthrie and just found out about these gigs from this thread! No idea how I missed this one. I even checked his site a few weeks back and there were no tours mentioned. Absolutely gutted!!! I may.......just may, have to fly to Sydney this weekend to see the last show.

The turnout at the Brisbane gig was um......modest at best.
The punters who were present were very enthusiastic though.
When i saw Steven's other project (Porcupine Tree) in the same venue it was packed.
I thought it would be wall-to-wall guitar players cramming in to see Guthrie
so i suppose it wasn't well advertised to the guitar playing community.
On the other hand, Steven Wilson's music is not everyone's cup of tea.

Back
Top Bottom