Guitartown 2012

rmbaylin

Inspired
I took a mini vacation to Denver this weekend, to attend a free 3 day concert. I watched some incredible players, talked with many of them. Eric Johnson , Phil Keaggy, John Jorgensen, a young Australian named Joe Robinson among the group.

One thing I noticed was nothing but tube amps (mostly fenders) and pedals. The tones were tremendous. But I wondered why nothing digital, nothing solid state, nothing like the typical axe setup. I've been a Fractal devotee since 2009, Ultra v3.0. so I'm all in on the axe, bit it makes me wonder if a simple fender tube amp with a few pedals on board trumps the complexity of axe setup.

and by the way eric johnson said that the battery myth is a bunch of fiction. He just snickered at the question.

Modelers are still at the point of 'trying' to copy the sound & feel of tube amps. If you are a touring professional who doesn't have to carry & setup their amps themselves, then why not just use the tube amps.

There's also a very emotional & visual connection to tubes because that's what all the guitar greats have always used.

I think we are the edge of a paradigm shift. The "greats" were only working with the technology available at the time.
And as such it works so why fix it. And like Willowdale said, if you dont have to worry about transport and setup,
then its all good. It has be come VERY easy to build a home recording setup and make music that rivals what you
hear on the radio everyday. IMHO this is an amazing time to be a musician with tools like DAW's and Axe-fx's.
Its unreal how great this is. Hell, even guys with POD's and VST amps make really good stuff. You dont see many tube/
valve televisions any more. Hell, I set up a L.E.D. for my mom the other day. Shes got netflix streaming through wifi,
all kinda of stuff I would think she would be hip to. Times are changing and we the FAS community are riding the cusp
of music and guitar evolution. The nay sayers will do just that. Hell, I cant let go of my Original Mesa two channel Triple
and over sized Mesa cab with V30s, but I haven't touched it in over a year. So, Im not judging either way, just I/we can
see the ships coming in but our brothers and sisters have never seen a ship and have cognitive dissonance that will not
let them see it. We, like the shamans of music will have to show them the way. Have a little faith, I know I will be a Fractal
buyer for the rest of my life (provided the company is still ran by Cliff "the Wizard" Chase, and all the great employes like M@,
and Adam, and anyone else Im leaving out. I just want to work for them so I can make others feel like I do when I fire up
rig.
Speaking of. :)
Good heavens, looks at the time, its JAM:30 :lol

I was one of the earlier adopters of the AXE, so I am a supporter of Fractal tech and Fractal Team. I bought my Ultra and it came with version 3.0. I own a II now, with the MFC101 and have gone through several setups and configurations. I originally bought the axe to model amps and effects, but its evolved into 'my sound, my tone'. I dont try to copy a specific tone as much anymore.Its my tool set. So as Funeral says, these are the tools of the future. I would have loved to have heard some of these guys playing and using an Axe rig. Its JAM:30 here too.

Back
Top Bottom