Guitars with trems vs hardtail.. Tone/Snap/Clarity

Tahoebrian5

Fractal Fanatic
After nearly 30 years of playing I feel like I am finally getting to the point where I know what I want my tone to sound like.. and I am having a hard time getting the aggressive snap/pop and clarity with my Floyd Rose equipped guitars. I use the trem quite a bit though. Not just dive bombs, I use it for inflection, etc.

Anyway what I am getting at, what can I do to the Floyd rose to get more clarity, definition and snap between fast picked notes?

I am using yellow Dunlop picks currently and starting to also wonder if I can get more clarity with a different pick.

I also just switched from Daddario 9.5's to 10/46 and raised the action a little bit. Maybe helped a little bit.

Anyone have any thoughts or discussion to share?

After nearly 30 years of playing I feel like I am finally getting to the point where I know what I want my tone to sound like.. and I am having a hard time getting the aggressive snap/pop and clarity with my Floyd Rose equipped guitars. I use the trem quite a bit though. Not just dive bombs, I use it for inflection, etc.

Anyway what I am getting at, what can I do to the Floyd rose to get more clarity, definition and snap between fast picked notes?

I am using yellow Dunlop picks currently and starting to also wonder if I can get more clarity with a different pick.

I also just switched from Daddario 9.5's to 10/46 and raised the action a little bit. Maybe helped a little bit.

Anyone have any thoughts or discussion to share?

I upgrade the blocks on all my Floyd’s with FU tone’s brass blocks. It’s subtle in most cases, but definitely noticeable. To my ears, it adds clarity.

Try switching to the Yellow Flow picks maybe? More of pointed tip and more clarity vs std shaped picks.
Might also try heavier springs for the Floyd. I had this same issue with a floyd-equipped guitar and I switched out to heavier springs from FU Tone and it definitely improved the snap. Also changed the arm feel somewhat so be aware of that. I upgraded the block to brass too, but hated it and took it off.

Back
Top Bottom