Guitars with 2+ tone and 2+ volume controls

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
What guitars out there have 2 tone and 2 volume controls, besides Gibsons and Epiphones?

Separate question, are there any 3 pickup guitars with 3 of each?

Collings, Hartung, Huber, McNaught (Vintage Single Cut), Corsa, Anderson Bobcat & discontinued Bulldog.

I think you’ve mentioned in another thread that you don’t shy away from modding, so to widen your options significantly, you could consider the alternative I’ve embraced:

I live and die with a 2V 2T configuration, but because 1V 1T is so ubiquitous, I like using two dual concentric pots and wiring them like a Les Paul / SG. I make the lower pot the volume and the upper one the tone, turning it into a 2V 2T guitar; I’ve included a photo of my Washburn Trevor Rabin, which originally came with 1V 1T (59 / JB). Two dual concentrics make volume and tone setting very convenient, and I’ve added a 3 way mini switch for each pickup for series - split - parallel. It made my guitar look much cooler too, along with the covered Saturday Night Specials I installed.

For a 3V 3T guitar, try Eastwood Guitars, with all their oddball and really cool replicas. If you take a close look at what they offer you’ll see some wild control panel layouts you definitely won’t see anywhere else! Here’s the Eastwood Airline 59 3P DLX, with six knobs, as just one weirdo option.

Good luck on your search!

D467A30D-011E-4DA1-810E-BDA724A0B467.jpeg

Hah, that Eastwood is something! Looking at the reality of 3t 3v, I'm not sure if I'm up for that or not. Hmmm...

And I think they have some others like that too if I remember correctly. I do think 2V 2T is a good compromise, though. I was reading a bit about 3 humbucker Les Pauls, and so many people complained that the middle humbucker got in the way of their picking, it gave me pause, and I’m dubious of the tonal benefit, from clips I’ve heard. Plus, I’ve found a really wide range of tone it my setup as is; e.g., splitting both pickups and selecting the middle position I get a wonderful Strat quack. YMMV.

And I think they have some others like that too if I remember correctly. I do think 2V 2T is a good compromise, though. I was reading a bit about 3 humbucker Les Pauls, and so many people complained that the middle humbucker got in the way of their picking, it gave me pause, and I’m dubious of the tonal benefit, from clips I’ve heard. Plus, I’ve found a really wide range of tone it my setup as is; e.g., splitting both pickups and selecting the middle position I get a wonderful Strat quack. YMMV.
I have a from-parts guitar with three old Duncan PAFs. Middle pickup doesn't bother me, though other things about it do.

Simple but super flexible switching, a 5-way and 3 3-position mini-toggles. 72 electrically unique combinations if I remember right, all nominally humbucking.

I play my EJ more these days though :)

Yeah, nice, that's more what I was thinking for 3t3v. But checking prices on those, I'm not allowed to want one...
It took me 40 years to find this one and it is near to mint as possible. The seller gave me what I think is a great deal for a 1998 good wood era Custom Shop Gibson.

It took me 40 years to find this one and it is near to mint as possible. The seller gave me what I think is a great deal for a 1998 good wood era Custom Shop Gibson.
That's yours??? Didn't even occur to me, I assumed it was a dealer. Very nice!

Back
Top Bottom