Guitars- The Good, the Bad and the Ugly

JoKeR III

Fractal Fanatic
Inspired by another thread, I wanted to post an opinion about a brand of guitar but didn't want to derail the thread. Then I thought, why not have a thread that isn't solely bashing something but has a positive spin as well. Rules are simple, each reply should have one of the following:

1. The Good: A guitar you have played that was a pleasant surprise.
2. The Bad: A guitar you have played and were unpleasantly surprised with.
3. The Ugly: A guitar you would like to play but can't get past the way it looks.

1 and 2 must be a guitar you've played, this is kind of the point of this thread. There are a lot of glowing reviews and opinions about guitars out there but which have lived up to the hype and which haven't?

Here's my first GBU list:
1. Fender Triple Tele: Bought as a base for a Tele build but the playability and the tones from the unique 3 bridge pickup configuration really surprised me. It's one of only a few guitars I've owned that hasn't had the pickups replaced. I also have a 2004 American Deluxe Strat and PRS CE24, the playability of the TT is on par with both of them and one of my favorite guitars to play.

2. Duesenberg: This brand was on my radar and I was certain I was going to get one. A friend has a Paloma that needed a setup so I was able to see firsthand what all the hype was about. While it sounded really good and the tremolo is very stable, the quality of construction and other parts used was a very unpleasant surprise. If this particular guitar is indicative of the brand, I have to agree with those who say they are grossly over-priced. If a used one popped up under $800, I might have to think hard about it though.

3. As much as I would like to try one, I just can't bring myself to play a headless guitars. I'm usually one who tells players to quite obsessing over the shape of the headstock but to not have one at all is taking it a bit too far. The Strandberg Boden is pretty cool looking guitar and almost distracts me enough but the cutout for the tremolo combined with the headless neck is just too much of a departure from 'traditional' for me.

G: Got a PRS S2 McCarty 594 Thinline last Friday and played it on a 3 hour show on Saturday. Played fabulously and even loved the original pups.
B: Didn't get along with a 7-string Majesty. The pickup selector always got in the way, and guitar would not stay in tune even without whammy use. Could have been my fault though, not blaming EBMM. Returned it right away.
U: Any tele. Both the body shape and headstock are not my thing.

The Good; Indonesian, PRS SE. So much nicer than the Korean ones, they actually feel quit similar to the core line.
The Bad; Duesenberg , Cheap nasty parts and Korean woodwork costing 2 to 3 times what they should.
The Ugly; Knaggs , They play great sound great and the build quality is excellent but the shapes are awful.

the good ibanez premiums nice price great guitars especially older ones

bad- esp edwards e!!! was beautiful sparkle like painted blue; didnt like the feel, the horns were awkward (super strat) pickups never bonded
2 carvins, great fit and finish horrible sound no matter what pickups
bc rich warbeast, is just wall art looks cool, cant play in lap
bc rich warlock sent back, just couldnt bond.

The One That Got Away.

SUCH a sexy guitar but I tried for a LONG time to love playing it - and you should never ”try” to love something.

Sold it to someone in New Zealand.

Attachments

• B986A184-1453-4F41-9F22-78E3945FED0D.jpeg
    B986A184-1453-4F41-9F22-78E3945FED0D.jpeg
    929 KB · Views: 37
  • D0E7DABC-0EBB-406A-BD1D-FF7E6EFEA79D.jpeg
    D0E7DABC-0EBB-406A-BD1D-FF7E6EFEA79D.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 37
  • 9199D9F6-AAEF-4DEF-8BB2-5B97E6D97C6A.jpeg
    9199D9F6-AAEF-4DEF-8BB2-5B97E6D97C6A.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 36
1. The Good: Ovation Applause from the late 1970's. It had a one-piece cast aluminum fretboard. To my ears at the time, it sounded good. It played great, as I recall, low action and super-straight neck.

2. The Bad: Gibson SG High-Performance, recent model. Uninspiring to play and hear, wouldn't stay in tune. And, terrible neck-dive - so bad I thought the guitar wanted to put itself out of its misery.

3. The Ugly: EBMM Majesty. These aren't ugly, but I just can't get past the look of these - if it were a guitar for me to play. Maybe it's because they look way cooler than me. ;-] I also have a hard time wanting a guitar that's so obviously associated with any player - I want to feel like it's MINE.

Last edited:
G: PRS SE 24 Standard - made in Indonesia, competes with my Custom 24 for playability and tone after just a couple little hardware upgrades.

B: 2021 CS Strat '60s whatevertheheckitiscalled - beautiful sunburst finish, great sounding pickups, neck felt strange and uncomfortable.

U: Prince's 'Cloud' or 'Symbol' guitar, both of which I have seen replicas of on occasion. Too strongly associated with him, so I would feel like I was expected to be a RABID Prince fan and play all his songs.

U Runner-up: the St. Vincent Ernie Ball guitar. Looks cool, especially the triple Firebird mini-bucker one, but no clue who the lady is whose signature model it is, and feel like I would be expected to be a fan.

G: Nearly anything by Schecter. I've got three, the most recent being an S-1 I bought for $350 in the used section at Guitar Center. If I can get something this good for $350, why spend 10 times more?

B: Early 2000s Warwick Thumb - I played one for an hour and was set to buy it, but then I put it on a strap and the neck dove so hard it nearly hit me in the knee. So disappointing, it was fantastic to play.

U: Anything relic'd. I get that old guitars have wear and mojo, and that's cool, but the whole relic thing just seems fake and cheesy to me.

U Runner-up: the St. Vincent Ernie Ball guitar. Looks cool, especially the triple Firebird mini-bucker one, but no clue who the lady is whose signature model it is, and feel like I would be expected to be a fan.
Well then you should look up Annie Clark. Not sure you'd like her stuff, given the little I know of your interests, but she's at least intermittently interesting.

I can't claim to be a big fan... But Steve Vai had her as a featured artist at Vai Academy.

She's very "interesting"... She has some cool composing methods.

Also the niece of Tuck Andress (of Tuck and Patty) and was their guitar tech for a while.

1. The Good: A guitar you have played that was a pleasant surprise.
Taylor 714CE It was surprising to me how much I didn't like the sound of the Cedar-top version. But the Spruce top sounds beautiful both plugged in and acoustically.
2. The Bad: A guitar you have played and were unpleasantly surprised with.
I bought a used PRS SC SE Tremonti, just to practice on, to slow the fret wear on my CU24. I tried several guitars that day @ GC, but after getting it home, I found I just didn't like it.
3. The Ugly: A guitar you would like to play but can't get past the way it looks.
Knaggs builds are supposedly amazing, but it would really have to floor me to lay out the money for one, to get past that headstock & the shapes. But I felt similarly about the Majesty, but now I love it so much that I have no desire for any other guitar.

Last edited:
1. Hamer Jr Indonesia for $300. This guitar is great in every way.
2. Newest cheap guitar PRS SE245. The ‘Wide Fat’ neck is a lot bigger than my US PRS. Still like it though but expected the wide fat as in the US guitars.
3. I don’t get the Majesty’s either or the headless monsters I see a mention of.

Back
Top Bottom