Guitars: how many and brands?

2011 Fender American Deluxe Stratocaster with Zexcoil convertible pickups
2018 PRS S2 Satin Singlecut with Zexcoil tribuckers
2020 American Player Telecaster with Zexcoil convertible pickups
2009 Fender American Special Jazz Bass with Zexcoil convertible j bass pickups
2016 Taylor 316ce Grand Symphony no Zexcoil pickups ;)
Tell me about those Zexcoil convertibles in the Tele! I’m pondering a Warmoth tele build. Can they do traditional tele tone + humbucker sound? How much do you miss a tele neck pickup vs. Strat style neck, or can it really cover it all?

(tenth post ahoy)
Guitars!

In order of acquisition. Most humbuckers are switchable series/parallel via push-pull pots:
1) A new mid-80s Kramer 300ST. Plywood garbage, almost unplayable even for an electric guitar. Perfect for a beginner (as a test.)
2) 1988 JEM77FP. Got super lucky: right time, right place, right summer job. Bought her new. FRED/JEM Single/Humbucker-From-Hell. Never pampered, she's beat all to heck.
3) 1991 RG770DX. The red one. Bought to back up the JEM. My #1 for several years. JB, Blue Velvet, '59. Beat all to heck.
4) 1992 parts-caster: Warmoth Swamp Ash body, Schecter neck, finish = one application of wood-filler, hard-tail, and a pearloid H/S/S pickguard. Pearly Gates and Texas Specials. Very simple. REALLY beat to heck. Really alive acoustically as well.
5) 1938 Martin Orchestra Model. My Granddad bought this guitar new from Mel Bay in St. Louis (yes, really.) Very hard to play but also very loud and bright. An amazing sound to cut through a band in the 1940s. I check on it from time to time but otherwise I leave it alone.
6) Spector Legend 5 bass. Very basic EMG pickup set. Just a vanilla bass guitar with some extended range.
7) 1993 Ibanez USA Custom UCEWFMTB - Bought new by a friend and kept in a JEM case untouched until he sold it to me. Still a case queen (sorta, I modded the electronics: Custom Custom, True Velvet, '59).
8) Breedlove acoustic. It's one of the Korean built models, a basic dreadnought. Mahogany back&sides/Sitka Spruce top. Plays like butter and sounds great. No electronics. It might fall under the Atlas line but it doesn't have a cutaway, either.
9) Ibanez Talman TM302 Tri-burst. I loaded it with JBE Danny Gattons and wired the controls like his wah-mod setup. Really fun guitar!
10) Ibanez RG471AH. A rarity: a cheap Southern Ash hard-tail RG with H/S/H. Neck flawed- rattly truss rod. Still a lot of fun. DiMarzio EJs + True Velvet.
11) JEM70VSFG. Less comfy than my other JEMs, but not by much. Enough to notice, though. Probably. Depends on the day. Crunch Lab/JEM Single/Evolution :yum:
12) 2017 Fender Elite Stratocaster. A Strat for me - rounded heel, compound radius and neck contour, etc. Needs better pickups. Gorgeous deep shiny burst finish.
13) JEM7V. I started to worry Ibanez would end this model and shut off the MIJ JEM production, so I went ahead and ordered one new. It's stunning. And now I am very glad I did. Bone stock.
14) RG1070FMNTL. Saw it online and had to have it. It's gorgeous and finally an excuse for me to own a ToneZone. It can do an amazing brown sound with the TZ in parallel. Needs a better neck pickup.
15) Firefly FF338. In red. It's a sleeper. I put a JB and a '59 in it with Big Leg Circuits' Jimmy Page hollowbody wiring kit. A ton of fun and my first LP-scale guitar.
16) Custom 1984 Zion (Valley Arts Steve Lukather model specs, body by Tom Anderson). It's a long, happy story.
17) Firefly FFLP. The Black H/H model with the 3-ply binding and gold everything. Posted the wrong pickup set here before. Meant to say it's got a pair of Fralin Pure PAFs wired +5% with the BLC Jimmy Page Les Paul wiring treatment.

There's also a very nice student Classical guitar at my parents' house that I simply shouldn't play; and also my first stringed instrument, a Lotus headless bass that I played because my High School was full of guitarists already. :guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar::guitar:

Last edited:
When people ask me how many guitars I really need I just ask them back how many different moods do they have. It's the most effective answer I've come across that also has the benefit of not being sarcastic.

Tell me about those Zexcoil convertibles in the Tele! I’m pondering a Warmoth tele build. Can they do traditional tele tone + humbucker sound? How much do you miss a tele neck pickup vs. Strat style neck, or can it really cover it all?
I can play some stuff for you so you can hear it, what factory preset would you like to hear it on? I really like it for my purposes but Scott Lawing is really responsive if you do have tone questions to get a certain pickup sound.

@warlockII I'd love to see a pic of that Kramer Nightswan. I used to have one years ago and think about it all the time
Sadly I sold my Lightning Bolt with Vivians signature on the back of the headstock back in the early 90's. I bought this one due to missing her.

Attachments

• Nightswan front shrunk.jpg
    Nightswan front shrunk.jpg
    479.7 KB · Views: 21
I can play some stuff for you so you can hear it, what factory preset would you like to hear it on? I really like it for my purposes but Scott Lawing is really responsive if you do have tone questions to get a certain pickup sound.
Can I play too? If so, is love to hear clean tone in all pickup selector positions :)

I'm always on the lookout for hum/buzz-resistant single coils that sound good. I've heard good things about those but I've never actual heard them.

I can play some stuff for you so you can hear it, what factory preset would you like to hear it on? I really like it for my purposes but Scott Lawing is really responsive if you do have tone questions to get a certain
Such a nice offer! And so many sounds. This will be my first tele, coming from mostly a Strat and Gibson/PAF background.

What about something like an AC-20, or Tweed 5F8, or something midgain? Can I keep wishing?!!!

I’ve emailed Scott too, he was super helpful in helping with my Strat

Back
Top Bottom