Guitars and String Gauge Discussion

favance

Power User
I just ran across a new string manufacturer out of Nashville called "StringJoy". I ordered a couple of their balanced sets (9's and 10's). A little expensive, but because they're "balanced tension" they do have a better feel...I'm hoping they last longer to justify the cost.

Also, they have a great blog and a great article on Hendrix, Stevie Ray, and David Gilmore's string choice. I highly recommend this company and they're value to guitarists all over!

I have never used those (or even heard of them). I use D'Addario 10 - 46 on my electrics and Elixir phosphor bronze nanoweb 12 - 53 on my acoustics. I'd have to look at my nylon string Yamaha to check what I use. it has been a while ince I had to re-string that. i have tried many other strings over the years, but always go back to the same ones. I buy my strings in bulk to save money.

Last edited:
Yeah i buy single strings in bulk online. D'addario's website has a great tension checking tool so that you can create your own balanced tension set. The problem is i can't find ANYONE in the world who sells single wound .035 strings lol.

I have always used D'Addario too. But I tried the StringJoy Balanced .009 set on my Tele 1st. They felt better and the intonation was better.

Also, take at the Hendrix write up (link above). I found a set of GHS (GBLXL) that match Hendrix's string gauges. I slapped these on my Strat and damn...magic. I never really thought that much about this. These great guitarists had the money and guitar techs to experiment a lot with custom string gauges...maybe this was one of their secrets!

For the price and longevity D'Addario just can't be beat imo.
I thought this too, until read few articles about how changing the tension on a string set allows a more balanced tone and feel. All it costs is $10 bucks to try it... read the articles above and try it! Please post your thought if/when you do. Thx

I use the D'Addario NYXL0942 for about 3 months now on my Strats. They last longer than normal strings but are NOT coated and they sound and feel fabulous. Funny, when I saw this thread I investigated a bit. D'Addario has balanced sets also. Same gauges. Wonder who did it first? Even with my arthritis rants I would never want to lower the gauge of the wound strings.

The bakanced D'addarios are more expensive than the Stringjoys though.

Has anyone tried their bass strings?

I've always wanted to try equal tension bass strings. I've bought individual strings from D'Addario and Ernie Ball to make my own equal tension bass string sets but the strings loudness weren't very even and bass pickups don't have adjustable pole screws for each string, so I had to combat it with multiband compression.

Ernie Ball 10-46's have been my go-to for years. They seem to die less quickly. It may be snake oil, but they sound better to me than the 9's.

Every once in awhile I get a wild hair and put on 11's. Play them for a month, and go back to 10's and they feel as loose as gut string to my fingers.

Philosophy: I consider picks and strings sort of like dross to my playing. Easy to obsess over smaller details like this when I'm better off practicing and staying consistent on technique. So a few years ago I decided to go with the EB and Fender Heavy picks. Haven't really thought about it since. (But I do have an unnatural attraction to Red Bear picks...but at $20+ a crack it's an unnecessary expense.)

I may give these a shot anyway after all that. What the hell.

Every once in awhile I get a wild hair and put on 11's. Play them for a month, and go back to 10's and they feel as loose as gut string to my fingers.
Interesting. I practice with 11’s, but play out with hybrid 9’s. Whatever I can do on 11’s, I can do better, with more confidence, on 9’s.

String comparisons are tricky. You always wind up comparing an old, dead set of strings against a new set. It’s hard to tell whether the improvement comes from the new string type or just the fact that they’re new strings.

Elixir Nanoweb 10-46 here. I have not tried the Stringjoy (actually, never heard of them!), but may have to give them a try. Never know!

String manufacturers are like overdrive pedals to me. They all sound the same to me. I'm just picking one and sticking with them. D'Addario, although I do use Ernie Ball beefy slinkies for detuned guitars. But that's more I wound up using them and D'Addario didn't have a similar set. All single strings I buy online are D'Addario.

I just ran across a new string manufacturer out of Nashville called "StringJoy". I ordered a couple of their balanced sets (9's and 10's). A little expensive, but because they're "balanced tension" they do have a better feel...I'm hoping they last longer to justify the cost.

Also, they have a great blog and a great article on Hendrix, Stevie Ray, and David Gilmore's string choice. I highly recommend this company and they're value to guitarists all over!

Ok I'll bite, How are the strings all "balanced" in tension?

I've been stuck on D'addario 9.5's. It seems like 9's sound thin but 10's feel too thick so I started up with the 9.5's and never looked back. Never considered differential tension so that is an interesting concept, maybe I'll give it a try.

Back
Top Bottom