Guitars and Airplanes

I've got one of those for a les paul....very nice case.
A little on the heavy side, and takes up more space...but if that's not a concern, I'd recommend it.
I had an anvil case for a les paul...it was kind of obnoxious to tote around.
I think the skb would be my choice for travel.

I also use one of those for my LP. Fantastic case. It will scratch and such over time, but it holds up very well, and I like that the "TSA-approved" latches take away any excuse to open it with a crow bar... or a forklift.

Over the past several years, I've found more airlines are reluctant to allow me to bring my guitar aboard in a gig bag. I always carry copies of the Musicians' Union / Airlines agreement that explicitly allows guitars in gig bags to be carried aboard, and to be stowed in the overhead bins. However, this is always up to the discretion of the airlines based on available space. I frequently am told "there is not enough room in the bin for your instrument", even when I'm boarding early (thank you, 75K mile gold club!) and the bins are empty. On those happy occasions when I have successfully stowed my guitar in the bin, someone will still attempt to cram a suitcase in on top of it. When I am denied taking my guitar aboard, I have been required to check it - with its only protection being the gig bag! I've been told by some airlines that I should pay for a seat for my guitar, which I know is actually done by musicians who travel with valuable instruments.

A few years ago I started to travel with my guitar packed in one of those SKB 3i cases, and checked as luggage. The luggage fee is a drag, but it's much cheaper than buying my guitar seat! Those cases are Godzilla-proof. They need to be. Baggage handlers treat it just like a suitcase : they stand it up on end on the conveyor belt, and just let go, allowing it flop onto its face. At least I can be reasonably assured that my guitar will arrive in playable condition. I've been happier with the SKB 3i cases than with my traditional anvil-style flight cases. They're much lighter, and much easier to manage.

Over the past several years, I've found more airlines are reluctant to allow me to bring my guitar aboard in a gig bag. I always carry copies of the Musicians' Union / Airlines agreement that explicitly allows guitars in gig bags to be carried aboard, and to be stowed in the overhead bins. However, this is always up to the discretion of the airlines based on available space. I frequently am told "there is not enough room in the bin for your instrument", even when I'm boarding early (thank you, 75K mile gold club!) and the bins are empty. On those happy occasions when I have successfully stowed my guitar in the bin, someone will still attempt to cram a suitcase in on top of it. When I am denied taking my guitar aboard, I have been required to check it - with its only protection being the gig bag! I've been told by some airlines that I should pay for a seat for my guitar, which I know is actually done by musicians who travel with valuable instruments.

A few years ago I started to travel with my guitar packed in one of those SKB 3i cases, and checked as luggage. The luggage fee is a drag, but it's much cheaper than buying my guitar seat! Those cases are Godzilla-proof. They need to be. Baggage handlers treat it just like a suitcase : they stand it up on end on the conveyor belt, and just let go, allowing it flop onto its face. At least I can be reasonably assured that my guitar will arrive in playable condition. I've been happier with the SKB 3i cases than with my traditional anvil-style flight cases. They're much lighter, and much easier to manage.

That actually reminded me of when I was at a Guitar Show in Philly last year. The SKB booth/rep had the 3i case out. He put a nice Les Paul in it, closed it...threw it on the floor, and than jumped on it. He was not a small man either.
I'm not going to be doing that any time soon....but it did make me feel better about travelling with the SKB3i.

If you have several guitars then it's better to have one bag that you can put several guitars in. This way you'll only get charged for one extra item. ;) Obviously depends on the airline.

Back
Top Bottom