Guitar Wing!!!

Managed to remap this with Bome Midi Translator. The sliders now mapped to external controller 2-4 and the pads to external controller 5-8. I'm toying with the idea of putting the motion sensor to external controllers 9-11.

The buttons on the top and side select scenes 1-8, while the arrow keys are mapped to vol increment/decrement.

So far so good, trying to fund a practical use the the sliders, but for now it's fun walking around practicing with the wireless and being able to switch tones. :)

Mine has shipped and is in route. This is going to be a great tool for me since I play from a wheelchair and pedals are not an option. Woooooo Hoooooo... external controllers for me!!!!

Mine has shipped and is in route. This is going to be a great tool for me since I play from a wheelchair and pedals are not an option. Woooooo Hoooooo... external controllers for me!!!!
Let me know if you want me to share my Bome patch, happy to oblige. Since the buttons send MIDI note messages by default, they will be useless to the Axe without the editor or a MIDI translator.

Let me know if you want me to share my Bome patch, happy to oblige. Since the buttons send MIDI note messages by default, they will be useless to the Axe without the editor or a MIDI translator.

Will do. Thanks for the generous offer. All my gear is packed up at the moment. I am moving on the 30th so it will be a couple of weeks before I get to check it out. Maybe they will have the editor released by then. However, I am not holding my breath on that one. :)

My feedback, FWIW:

I'm sending mine back after five days of use.

It is a great idea, but it could definitely use some better pads/sensors.

Another thing that I didn't care for, and not the deal-breaker for me, is that the wing moves on me when playing sitting down with my strat, which is quite the annoyance. It fits perfect, though.

I'll try the next gen, if there is one.

My feedback, FWIW:

I'm sending mine back after five days of use.

It is a great idea, but it could definitely use some better pads/sensors.

Another thing that I didn't care for, and not the deal-breaker for me, is that the wing moves on me when playing sitting down with my strat, which is quite the annoyance. It fits perfect, though.

I'll try the next gen, if there is one.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I was going to order one but I think now I will just stick with all my other Midi stuff and my mfc.

Thank you for sharing your experience. I was going to order one but I think now I will just stick with all my other Midi stuff and my mfc.

I should clarify -- for my taste, the pads need to be more sensitive. I'm used to Ableton's Push, APC-40, MPC's, etc.

The good thing about my experience with the Guitar Wing though, is it encouraged me to mount my Push up high and somewhat vertical, just to the right side of me, which gives me fast access to Live 9 with my playing hand.

Take care.

Managed to remap this with Bome Midi Translator. The sliders now mapped to external controller 2-4 and the pads to external controller 5-8. I'm toying with the idea of putting the motion sensor to external controllers 9-11.

The buttons on the top and side select scenes 1-8, while the arrow keys are mapped to vol increment/decrement.

So far so good, trying to fund a practical use the the sliders, but for now it's fun walking around practicing with the wireless and being able to switch tones. :)

Are you using Bomes on a MAC? I'm curious if it works any better than midi pipe? I have some minor issues getting the pads to control scenes (assuming its the non-latching buttons and lack of editor)...aside from user error.

and YES post it here or PM me...I'm gonna dl Bomes and try it. Did you buy it or use the freeware version?

I recently got my guitar wing integrated with mainstage 3 using plug in amps when I don't want to lug around my axe II and mfc, and it has worked great so far. It's cool to use the slides with the delay feedback to get the oscillating sound. I plan to do more when the editor comes out.
Personally it has huge potential.

What's up everyone! Jeff from Livid here. Reading through the thread here is really cool, I too anxiously await the editor. I check my email everyday looking for updates from the dev team. Soon I hope, and I'll report back here on arrival. In the mean time I've done my fair share of midi pipe mangling working with other Axe-Fx users so let me know if you have questions.

Couple of things I wanted to mention:
Issues for mapping in Live. This comes from the need to send CC's and note messages from the same control. This is something that's required for the Ableton scripts, but wouldn't be required if you were manually midi learning. This also makes it tricky to map one or the other unless you know the preferred method. I've made a video here to help out:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAFYL7jouOU&list=UUaHdZ5M8amSDGTA2eDokpMw
Pad feel. Although you can make beats and play instruments from this controller, they are not old school MPC pads for $189 :) The velocity sensitivity is great for controlling effects and doing interesting things, but I still prefer a true pad based controller (like our Base II) for playing in parts. The wing can certainly jam out on some drum samples but it takes some getting used to. I've actually been using this plugin from Jam origin for audio to midi conversion as well which works great for playing keys from the guitar.

I think the Wing is a great compliment to something like Axe-Fx and we can't wait to see what people do with it! Maybe we should do a special Axe-Fx/Guitar Wing contest when the editor is released...

thanks all, and nice to meet everyone!

What's up everyone! Jeff from Livid here. Reading through the thread here is really cool, I too anxiously await the editor. I check my email everyday looking for updates from the dev team. Soon I hope, and I'll report back here on arrival. In the mean time I've done my fair share of midi pipe mangling working with other Axe-Fx users so let me know if you have questions.

Issues for mapping in Live. This comes from the need to send CC's and note messages from the same control. This is something that's required for the Ableton scripts, but wouldn't be required if you were manually midi learning. This also makes it tricky to map one or the other unless you know the preferred method. I've made a video here to help out:
Pad feel. Although you can make beats and play instruments from this controller, they are not old school MPC pads for $189 :) The velocity sensitivity is great for controlling effects and doing interesting things, but I still prefer a true pad based controller (like our Base II) for playing in parts. The wing can certainly jam out on some drum samples but it takes some getting used to. I've actually been using this plugin from Jam origin for audio to midi conversion as well which works great for playing keys from the guitar.

I think the Wing is a great compliment to something like Axe-Fx and we can't wait to see what people do with it! Maybe we should do a special Axe-Fx/Guitar Wing contest when the editor is released...

Welcome to the forum, and that's some great info BTW. I'm excited for the editor release :)

Thanks for chiming in! Look forward to when the Dev team has sent you the email for the release of the editor!

My brother gave me a Guitar Wing today. And a Kenton MIDI USB Host, an interface to make the GW control the Axe-Fx through MIDI.

It’s working. I used the editor to make it send CCs and PCs to the Axe-Fx, switching presets and turning effects off and on.
Pretty cool to be able to do that wirelessly!

Took a while though. I had to upgrade the firmware. And that process is a mess. Reminds me of old days where things don’t connect, there’s a lack of visual feedback, and I had to repeat the process 5 (!) times before it stuck. Designed by technicians: old school interface, and incomprehensible filenames which don’t indicate whether it’s an app or a firmware file.

The (beta) editor also is quirky. Sometimes it connects, sometimes it don’t. Haven’t got a clue why.
But when it works, it works.

As a remote controller for the Axe-Fx, it’s not ready for primetime.
It has no Preset Up/Down or Bank functionality, for example.
But you can use it to switch scenes. To switch to specific presets. To turn on/off effects.
Or do other stuff by assigning parameters to external controllers, and controlling those from the GW.

It does a lot of MIDI stuff (velocity, note on/off, bend etc.) but this is less useful for Axe-Fx users, because we work with audio, not MIDI.

I hope the designers will take a good look at some MIDI floor controllers (MFC) and carry over some of that stuff to the GW.
Then it will start to get really interesting.
But there’s not that much activity going on it seems, judging from the Livid forum. I wonder if it will catch on.

Last edited:
I have one and have the same usb host. I've been waiting for better integration with the Axe Fx also. Hopefully soon and I will dig it back out and have another go.

As a remote controller for the Axe-Fx, it’s not ready for primetime.
It has no Preset Up/Down or Bank functionality, for example.
But you can use it to switch scenes. To switch to specific presets. To turn on/off effects.

Hi Yek,

How did you program the scene changes? I'd like to put them on the side buttons but I can't manage to send the cc message along with the correct value for the scene.

Kind regards,
Michiel

At this time I only managed to switch between two scenes by using one of the sliders., and tapping at the start or at the end of the slide range.
The editor won't let us input enter specific values indeed.

Back
Top Bottom