Guitar Volume rolled off and the AXE FX II

Lkdog

Power User
This is an area where I still struggle to get decent tone and feel.
On my real tube amp (Mesa Mk V 25 head), I get a lot of usable tones rolling off the guitar volume to different levels.

Any tips on this? Maybe some amps that do better than others?

Firmware updates over the last few months have addressed this very well IMO. Recent/current firmware, again IMO, has rendered every amp I've tried as having great response to rolling off both tone and volume.

With the lesser modelers I had been playing forever (we went silent stage more than 15 years ago), I NEVER rolled off and completely got out of the habit. Now I do it all the time. Amps used regularly include the Mesa MKII, various Marshalls (mostly the Friedmans, but the others do it well), and several Fenders.

I had a wild time with the modded JCM800 last weekend. Rocked the sock right off my cock.

I was pushing the mids into the front end (an EQ set to cut bass and highs, and then a boosted level), and gave it a touch of Motor Drive and Pick Attack. It sounded AMAZING when I blasted it. When rolling off the volume pot it cleaned right up to an almost spot-on funk tone.

It was only then that I realised the magic of the JCM800... And I played the real thing quite a few times haha.

If I may ask, are you boosting your simulated amps, or using particularly hot pups?

I love the roll off sound I get with my axe FX II. Sounds like the real amp to me. I came from a mark V as well. All sorts of usuable tones to be had. I have my MV around 4-5 depending on the amp model.

Check the input noise gate. I forget to check it bc it's not a block. While you're there mess with the impedance.

Also, what issue are you having with your guitar volume rolled off? Too clean or too dirty or not enough range between dirty and clean?

What are you playing your Axe-Fx II into? Poweramp with traditional cab? FRFR?

I like to use the gtr volume control a lot.

I make my presets with a little more gain and a little more treble on purpose.

They sound right when I roll off tone / vol on the guitar and give me some "up and down" room during the show.

OK, Lots of ideas here for me to explore. Will work on it.
My guitars are two humbuckers guitars with PAF type pickups. and a garden variety Am STd Strat.

I use headphones, FRFR monitors, or a power amp into a guitar Cab.

Cliff- when you mention "you need to set your gain staging correctly. Increase or decrease MV accordingly"., I am not quite sure what you mean.

I have different guitars and basses that I play thru my XL and instead of making individual presets per instrument I rather use the same presets so as to feel and hear all the differences in tone between them and that includes how the controls/electronics on an instrument respond. Rolling the guitar volume on and off while using an Axe Fx remains as useful as ever, no doubt

Back
Top Bottom