Guitar Strap Height - what are your experiences?

SOAWM

Inspired
A couple of nights ago I was installing new straplocks and decided that this was the ideal moment to try some other strap heights, as I use a leather strap that can't be easily changed in length. Lately I had been struggling with my downpicking speeds and never could nail solo's standing up as if I were practicing them whilst sitting. My guitar wasn't hanging that low, but getting it a couple centimeters higher has changed my playing more than I could imagine. The angle between the guitar and my picking hand has changed drastically. I can now easily place my pinky on the body/behind the E-string/on pickup ring to pivot my hand when playing fast tremelopicking. The only thing getting used to was the fact that I now have to hold my left arm up higher. At the beginning it felt a little awkward when playing on the lower frets, but I got used to it very quickly.

What is your experience with strap height? I never payed much attention to it, but now I'm convinced that it plays a major role in ergonomics and becoming a better player.

For me, higher up equals a classical (more technically correct?) posture that helps with faster runs. (I'm by no means a shredder type player.)
Having the guitar lower helps me with playing rhythms. Somehow my wrist is looser that way. As a result I play more relaxed and have better timing. Biggest difference is having your thumb behind or over the neck.

I'm still trying to find the happy medium between the two. Having leather straps doesn't make that easier. I might try a new one soon that allows for more adjustment (instead of a few pre defined lengths.)

My guitars are strapped on high enough that if I'm sitting upright, the guitar doesn't rest on my legs. So sitting or standing, it's all the same to me.

When I started out, as a teenager somewhat concerned with how "cool" I looked, the guitar was of course slung rather low. Over a few years it crept higher and higher, to the point now where I couldn't buy a strap short enough. All my straps have to be pulled apart, shortened, restitched. So maybe 10 or so years later, that's what I'm used to, and my technique is very much dependent on having my guitar high up. With the guitar down at my waist or so, I couldn't play my way out of a paper bag.

I have laughed for years at the 'slung-at-penis-level players' who appear to be overcompensating...

I started out with my guitar REALLY high up - and, yes, I think it's easier to play accurately at this level - though it did provide much ammunition in the 80's when I was playing in punk bands at places like CBGB's... But I was mostly playing lead, not rhythm, so it made sense to me.

I started out high - I was always contrary and didn't care what anyone thought. I probably thought I looked like the Talking Heads - nerd cool. Gradually I moved down slightly, because I started playing more rhythm and it was easier to flail away with it lower - looser wrist, more 'body English' too - so my standing strap height is a compromise between the need for accuracy and the need to slam out power chords with a kind of physicality that just isn't there if it's too high up. It's probably gotten pretty close to 'normal' now: the lower part of my strat is just above crotch level, the upper part, about midway between navel and nipples.

Strap adjusted so the guitar sits at my waist, I've tried other positions and this one works the best for me.

I play the electric guitar in a classical seated position with strap on. When I stand, the guitar is in the same position/height as it is when I am seated.

Always high, I never could figure out how all the down low players do it. I can't play to save my life without it being higher up in classical position.

An ideal strap height is one where your wrist can remain as straight/relaxed as possible, not saying it has to be perfectly straight but no crazy angles happening (will put tension in the tendons in your wrist). I find if the guitar neck is around the same height as the crease of the elbow (inside of the elbow) then this is usually the ideal position. Some players like Paul Gilbert for example are able to have their strap lower for the reason his arms are really long, or Petrucci's is up higher because he has shorter arms. Just my experience, though

It's never been super low but I've tended to emulate EVH more than Jimmy Page. I used to play with middle of the guitar back at belt level. I've moved up a few inches since then, partly because that's where a Parker needs to be to avoid jabbing you in the ribs.

My strap is adjusted so that the guitar is at the same height as when I'm seated. This has always been the most comfortable position for me; I can't imagine playing bar chords or lead with the guitar sitting much lower.

My guitars are strapped on high enough that if I'm sitting upright, the guitar doesn't rest on my legs. So sitting or standing, it's all the same to me. When I started out the guitar was slung rather low. Over a few years it crept higher and higher, to the point now where I couldn't buy a strap short enough. All my straps have to be pulled apart, shortened, restitched. So maybe 10 or so years later, that's what I'm used to, and my technique is very much dependent on having my guitar high up.

Ditto.

My guitars are strapped on high enough that if I'm sitting upright, the guitar doesn't rest on my legs. So sitting or standing, it's all the same to me.

This is how I've done it for years... Helps me be consistent.

I got over the "cool factor" very quickly when I figured out that having the guitar a little higher is better for my technique.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I'll pile on for the high setting. Some "show" guys strap on so low that I wonder if they're actually playing, or just miming a sound track. Seems like it would impossible to do otherwise. The in-between points where it looks like they are actually playing leads me to believe they're in for an early attack of Carpal Tunnel syndrome. Bent wrists are not a Good Thing.

+1 for higher strap position. My guitar is more comfortable at a little higher position, and it's much easier to maintain proper hand position. I'm 5'6" so if anyone borrows my guitar it looks like a medallion on them.

I do the vast majority of my playing sitting, to the point where now that I have an actual gig coming up I have to specifically practice playing standing up. That being said I play in a metal band, so I sling the guitar or bass as low as I can get away with while still being able to play all my parts accurately. This puts it firmly centred on my crotch for guitar and centered on my belt buckle for bass. For solos or tricky parts I can lean back a bit and tilt the neck up. Rocking and practical.

Apologies to all the fine people up thread of me, but I always thought guitars up to the chin looked a bit... dorky. Just keeping it real and giving a voice against what seems to be the consensus.

If I play low like that my wrist says "fuck you, you fuckin' asshole!" Playing with the guitar up high can look a little dorky, but I don't give a shit.

Back
Top Bottom