Guitar store riffs

We’ve all got our own ways of approaching things. For me I need to think ahead of time about what it is I want to explore when trying a guitar. I’m not trying impress anyone; I’m just trying to figure out what will indicate whether a guitar will work for me. I admit I tend to get nervous in music stores with all these other people around who I know are also players. I don’t get nervous playing live at a gig, but for some reason music stores get me more tense so I work out what to play so I can focus better.

It's not a gig, people are in there not paying attention to you because they are after things themselves. Unless like Andy Ord you play all the solos of the Wall and Eruption for an encore. But then again, chances are the only groupies watching will be fellow guitar nerds.

As for trying out a guitar, any random noodling will do. You want a metal monster, throw in some chuggas. When I'm auditioning a guitar I try to discover if the neck feels right in my hands, it can handle a chugga or two, if there are any dead notes on the fret board. I reckon you gotta be detective more then Eddie van Halen when trying out a new guitar.

it can be annoying, but if you are auditioning a tube amp you need to hear it/feel it loud

Don't they have sound proof booths for that?

I’m going in to try out a 594 artist next week, I think this sounds like a plan. 😀
You guys are cracking me up today.
Taking into account grandinq's and Tahoebrian5's posts, you could take the Norwegian black metal approach by hyper-trem-picking your way through 'Smoke on the Water,; like an unholy synthesis between Deep Purple and early 90's Darkthrone.

Smoke on the water, rarrrrr!
A blaze in the northern sky, aaarrggghhh!
Here's to my sweet satan, shriiieek! [Ad lib as required.]

If you wish, you could even enter the store in full [or fool?] corpse-paint, calling yourself Count Baalvizierhamforashaphon or something.
If they don't put you in a psych ward first, you might get a tidy discount!

It's not a gig, people are in there not paying attention to you because they are after things themselves. Unless like Andy Ord you play all the solos of the Wall and Eruption for an encore. But then again, chances are the only groupies watching will be fellow guitar nerds.

As for trying out a guitar, any random noodling will do. You want a metal monster, throw in some chuggas. When I'm auditioning a guitar I try to discover if the neck feels right in my hands, it can handle a chugga or two, if there are any dead notes on the fret board. I reckon you gotta be detective more then Eddie van Halen when trying out a new guitar.

Don't they have sound proof booths for that?
not all, no....even so, it's a music store, I expect it to be loud.

I never plug in an electric guitar. I'll usually find a quiet space and make sure the instrument sounds good acoustically and decide from there. I have purchased several guitars this way. No regrets.

I never plug in an electric guitar. I'll usually find a quiet space and make sure the instrument sounds good acoustically and decide from there. I have purchased several guitars this way. No regrets.
I use a similar method. I'll play it unplugged, and if I like the feel and acoustic tone, I'll plug it into a clean practice amp just to make sure the electronics work as expected. I don't sweat the tone of the pickups, since I know A) they're easily replaceable, and B) I'll be running it through my Fractal rig and not any of the amps in the store.

You guys are cracking me up today.
Taking into account grandinq's and Tahoebrian5's posts, you could take the Norwegian black metal approach by hyper-trem-picking your way through 'Smoke on the Water,; like an unholy synthesis between Deep Purple and early 90's Darkthrone.

Smoke on the water, rarrrrr!
A blaze in the northern sky, aaarrggghhh!
Here's to my sweet satan, shriiieek! [Ad lib as required.]

If you wish, you could even enter the store in full [or fool?] corpse-paint, calling yourself Count Baalvizierhamforashaphon or something.
If they don't put you in a psych ward first, you might get a tidy discount!

I never understood the whole corpse paint thing. I know they think they look boss, but to me they only look like dorks. Like Gwar, but their outfits are so ridiculous they at least become funny again. Just like their music.

This is me too. I need to know how a guitar feels and frets. I can tell everything I need to know without ever plugging it in. My big thing nowadays is fret height. Frets seem to be getting lower. I guess that's just the 80's boomer coming out in me. If it plays good and sounds good acoustically, I cn fix anything electrical. Which I often do. I don't own many guitars with a stock set of pickups.

I usually play lamb of god stuff... it has everything in it. Open chords, intricate picking, palm mutes, etc... works for me.

This is me too. I need to know how a guitar feels and frets. I can tell everything I need to know without ever plugging it in. My big thing nowadays is fret height. Frets seem to be getting lower. I guess that's just the 80's boomer coming out in me. If it plays good and sounds good acoustically, I cn fix anything electrical. Which I often do. I don't own many guitars with a stock set of pickups.
I like 6100 frets! They are fun to play. Being a bit of a tech electronics and frets are NBD to me. I've actually done the opposite- taken out large frets and put in the smallest fretwire I could find. Looking back I must have been really bored!

Last edited:
There is a store in Durham, NC called Sound Pure. Small shop with great really high-end gear. When you try something out, the owner sits and stares at you. I suddenly get very self-conscience about my store noodling.

I have to admit I do practice before going to a guitar shop. If I go in cold, I get lost and can't remember anything I've ever learned on guitar. Its like going to a record store, as soon as I walk in I forget every band I've ever heard.
I dont understand the Stairway hate, its a good tune. I would rather hear someone play that, than some crap pentatonic noodling.

Practicing before going to the store is kinda ridiculous to me lol sorry man no offense to that. If you've been playing long enough and feel comfortable and I guess somewhat confident then there's no need. Besides here's
3 things All you'll ever hear at guitar center anyway:
-attempts of Kirk's One solo
-attempted sweeping
-employees that are generally obsessed with themselves talking about their personal opinion about gear
So bearing that in mind, I vote for PENTATONIC BOX RIFFING because there's nothing wrong with it if it sounds killer. Even if joe bonamassa was playing EJs penny riffs like he does folks would still be crowded around with drooling, ...because he sounds killer!!!

Back
Top Bottom