Guitar store riffs

People rehearsing and practicing what they are going to play in a music store? You guys are nuts. Unless you're looking for a new band, in which case its kinda an open audition.

What makes you think women are still impressed with you playing some guitar from decades old songs? Unless you're the hot bad boy playing a sensitive song around a campfire you'll probably have more success saying you're a DJ. :tonguewink:

We’ve all got our own ways of approaching things. For me I need to think ahead of time about what it is I want to explore when trying a guitar. I’m not trying impress anyone; I’m just trying to figure out what will indicate whether a guitar will work for me. I admit I tend to get nervous in music stores with all these other people around who I know are also players. I don’t get nervous playing live at a gig, but for some reason music stores get me more tense so I work out what to play so I can focus better.

I've been that guy, but only because the guitar is so obviously out of tune that playing it is not really possible... Which is pretty much every guitar I've ever encountered at GC :)
Thing that gets me is how not set up most of the guitars are, barely playable if at all. How they can expect anyone to like them enough to buy is beyond me. You'd think it was in their own best interest.

Thing that gets me is how not set up most of the guitars are, barely playable if at all. How they can expect anyone to like them enough to buy is beyond me. You'd think it was in their own best interest.
Because lots of players have no clue the differences ;)

I have, on occasion, asked their tech to make simple adjustments while testing one I was interested in. Usually they will. Some resulted in purchases by me, but undoubtedly all resulted in someone buying it....

What gets me are that half the floor models at GC are pre-reliced. WTF would I pay full price for a guitar that's already been banged up by 50 random people that played it. Like, zero care about plugging in, hanging it back up, setting it on random things in the store when they're done noodling.

Back to the original topic though. I usually just bust out some Judas Priest riffs.

Never planned out what to play, more often than not, a guitar will kind of dictate what I end up playing on it, so I just see where it goes.

If someone in the store is playing something I know, I'll be a bit of a smart ass, turn down a bit and jam along, either playing the rhythm part or harmonize with whatever riff or lead the other guy is. It's rarely noticed but sometimes an impromptu jam with a stranger pops up and for a few minutes the world feels like a happy place.

I have, on occasion, asked their tech to make simple adjustments while testing one I was interested in. Usually they will. Some resulted in purchases by me, but undoubtedly all resulted in someone buying it....
You know, this is great point in store guitar setups can really suck (except for the store I taught in)... most stores have wimpy .008 or .009 E string gauges to attract beginners, for me I'm, playing 10-46 if I had bigger hands it would be a larger gauge. A store should be able to string your gauge for you if your shopping a Ax over a grand...

Back
Top Bottom