Guitar Speakers.

neale dunham

Experienced
I was under the impression that guitar speakers could not reproduce sounds under their specific hertz rating.

For example, if a speaker is rated between 75- 6000hz I presumed that anything below 75hz would not be able to be heard on that type of speaker.

However, today I played with the axe 3 synth block and dialled in tones as low as 40hz and heard them as clear as any other frequency?

Whats going on here?

I was under the impression that guitar speakers could not reproduce sounds under their specific hertz rating.

For example, if a speaker is rated between 75- 6000hz I presumed that anything below 75hz would not be able to be heard on that type of speaker.

However, today I played with the axe 3 synth block and dialled in tones as low as 40hz and heard them as clear as any other frequency?

Whats going on here?
You were wrong.
75-6000hz sounds like the 3db spec
Meaning it stays relatively flat in that frequency range.
That's it

Published frequency response is about the range of frequencies that give a strong response. There is still some response beyond that range. The farther you move beyond the published range, the weaker the response.

Note that many synthesized tones have a lot of harmonic content at frequencies above the fundamental. A 40 Hz sawtooth wave has content at 80 Hz, 120 Hz, 160 Hz...

They have a published frequency range that's within a specified range of dB, and then there are the extended ranges that are outside the published range where there's roll-off. We can hear the output but we have to listen closely to notice a change in the volume until it's beyond 6dB, and even then we can be fooled if the change is gradual.

Back
Top Bottom