Guitar Rig vs Axe-Fx III: is there really a better tone?

Les Paul Rider, since you’ve joined the waiting list, it’s clear that you’ve already made the choice you’ll never regret.

Knowing how I was blown away by the Ultra, then the II, and now the III … I’m just grinning thinking of how you’ll react … there’s really no comparison. None. It’s like the difference between a [insert your favorite, fantasy-impossible-to-actually-buy dream car or private jet here] to a Yugo.

Not even touching on the capabilities of the Axe III itself – you don’t mention the audio chain you’ve been using to get your guitar in and out of your computer.

From the secret sauce at the front input of the Axe through every stage of A/D and D/A conversion, the Axe is truly an audiophile-level processor; what’s going on inside your Mac or PC doesn’t come close. And as I said, that doesn’t begin to touch on what you’ll actually be using it for.

Though the wait can be frustrating, everyone here will agree it’s worth it; you’ll be in seventh heaven. Congratulations, dude – you’re about to level up to god mode.

I'll add another point based on my experiences using some other sims. I have a lot of very different guitars. Petrucci models, Les Paul, strats, Ibanez RGs, old Charvels and Jacksons, some with active EMGs. With a lot of sims, I could dial in a setting that didn't sound too bad to the guitar. It didn't really play like an amp, but sounded alright. Then I'd want to play something else, use the same preset, and I'd get complete garbage out of it. Like, horrible. I mean, not even passable noise.

With the Axe Fx III, most of the time, I don't have to do much, if anything. Most of the time I'm using HBs. I'm not really a single coil kind of guy, but I do have a few strats, and still get good sound from them. I don't have to create a new preset for every guitar like I've often wanted to do. In the end, I'd just go back to playing the old guitar. Takes away some of the fun and creativity.

I really enjoy Guitar Rig, you can get some great tones out of it. The Axe FX is much more powerful though. There is a preset in GR5 called 'stereo 80's monster' that I just love, you can actually replicate it in the Axe FX

I really enjoy Guitar Rig, you can get some great tones out of it. The Axe FX is much more powerful though. There is a preset in GR5 called 'stereo 80's monster' that I just love, you can actually replicate it in the Axe FX
Guitar Rig is pretty cool in good hands bro,yes that preset is pretty cool.

I can only talk about my experience with Axe FX 3 and BIAS and in my opinion there is really no competition. Everything is different: the feeling with the instrument, the sound and dynamics in a particular way. If one always plays with distortion it can make the sound appear similar in a recording but the "under the fingers" feeling is completely different: Fractal is head and shoulders above the rest.

I used Guitar Rig, Amplitube and free VST’s prior to Line6 HD500X. I tried Revalver and some other software. Axe 2, AX8 and Helix for years. Axe3 is best that I’ve tried by a good margin. You should be blown away with the Axe3 if you have decent monitors.

Blue Cat Plugin is a great plugin.

For the price, it's stellar. GR isn't super expensive, but Blue Cat is the better deal for lower-end modeling. Neither are in the same league as Fractal. I think the OP will be blown away by the Axe if GR is what he is used to.

It's simple, try them both and decide what you like better, what fits your needs better.

I've been a booked musician for over 25 years for live and studio purposes and the Axe FX3 is the best gear I have ever used. (this is just my personal opinion)
I wish I had something like that 25 years ago.
Cheers
Sash

To be fair, you're also comparing a $200 plugin to a pro level preamp that cost more than 10 times as much.

The idea that you can run a $200 plugin on a $500 laptop with a $100 audio interface and get even remotely close to the level of quality that Fractal produces is a testament to how far things have come.

To be fair, you're also comparing a $200 plugin to a pro level preamp that cost more than 10 times as much.

The idea that you can run a $200 plugin on a $500 laptop with a $100 audio interface and get even remotely close to the level of quality that Fractal produces is a testament to how far things have come.
You'd be better off with a POD GO for half the money.

Back
Top Bottom