Guitar Repairs Las Vegas area?

Hi all, I need to have a couple of guitars refretted and was looking for recommendations for a expierienced luthier in the Las Vegas area.

Cheers

I am not a fan of J&E Music
There's also guitar center/sam ash- obviously don't recommend those
There's AJ's Music- they're a vintage dealer but I don't think they do repairs
(Interesting business concept- it's a bar, restaurant, pool/arcade games, and then a door takes you to a vintage guitar store- weird)

So if I had to recommend one- I'd recommend COWTOWN Guitars

They have guitar guys and amp guys that know their stuff- not the cheapest but i've seen their work and I've done business with the store a lot. So- I'd give them a try.

I am not a fan of J&E Music
There's also guitar center/sam ash- obviously don't recommend those
There's AJ's Music- they're a vintage dealer but I don't think they do repairs
(Interesting business concept- it's a bar, restaurant, pool/arcade games, and then a door takes you to a vintage guitar store- weird)

So if I had to recommend one- I'd recommend COWTOWN Guitars

They have guitar guys and amp guys that know their stuff- not the cheapest but i've seen their work and I've done business with the store a lot. So- I'd give them a try.
I went there many years ago... Cool place, but small.

Counter to that is Ed Roman Guitars that is huge but treats customers horribly, IMO.

I know of one guy who is hands-down the best I've seen here. But his workload is immense, and he now does work only for national/international touring acts and friends. He's taken down his website/Facebook because he can't take on any more work. I know of another guy, but I can't recommend him.

I know this isn't much help, but I will inquire around. I know a lot of people here.

FWIW, I know Jesse of J&E. They are great guys who do an honest business. I can't vouch for their fret work though. I've never seen it. Haven't used Cowtown for repair either, but they have the best selection of vintage gear I've ever seen. As far as Ed Roman, he was a very abrasive man, and I've been ignored in the store. But that was before they adopted an appointment-only policy. My guess is that, if you are serious and make an appointment, you will be treated well. The number of youngsters who would touch everything and buy nothing made Ed and staff more than a bit aggravated, and I can't say I blame them.

http://www.edroman.com/general/By_ Appointment.htm

Last edited:
Ed died 6 years ago.
Interesting...

The man himself came across as quite arrogant in just about everything I saw him write...

And the one time I got to visit his store I was completely put off by the way they operated.

Sounds like they made a change... Maybe we now know why?

WARNING- Based on my experience today Alan is NOT a reliable professional. I spoke to him last week and made an appointment for today (Thursday) at 12:30 . I arrived to see another customer waiting at the locked security front door. We rang the AMD buzzer and called Alans cell phone. Nada. We waited for about 35 minutes. It was clear Alan was not showing up for either of our appointments.

A professional would have called us to let us know he was going to be late or not at all. Given this flakey behavior, I would have second thoughts having him work on my guitars.

So... he's taking Ed Roman's business model of customer service

Since this original post Cowtown guitars has closed, AJ's music has closed, and the only one left is J&E

Actually, I was in touch with Roman Guitars. Im not sure if Ed Romans death affected policy there, but they were very congenial and professional compared to Alan at AMD. Prices quoted were reasnable and they said I could either drop in or make an appointment with the luthier. I will check them out in the future and report back.

No, later that day I was in touch with him thru Facebook direct messaging. He was at home. He came up with a few reasons why he wasnt there. None really held much validity. Regardless of the reasons, he never called ahead of time to let us know he wouldnt be there at the scheduled time. Or call us while we waited in high heat (105) and humidity to say he would be late.

Since I hope I have found a good alternative I wont dwell on this subject, but thought it wise to share my experience with others that might need a luthier when in Vegas.

No, later that day I was in touch with him thru Facebook direct messaging. He was at home. He came up with a few reasons why he wasnt there. None really held much validity. Regardless of the reasons, he never called ahead of time to let us know he wouldnt be there at the scheduled time. Or call us while we waited in high heat (105) and humidity to say he would be late.

Since I hope I have found a good alternative I wont dwell on this subject, but thought it wise to share my experience with others that might need a luthier when in Vegas.

What I hear is that you felt upset, frustrated and disappointed, because you have a need for clarity, efficiency and trust.
I know Alan for over a decade and he is not a flaky type. Maybe he was not comfortable to share the details of his private life with a customer.
Everyone could have one of those days and if so, blame and shame probably doesn't do much help for him.

Maybe he flaked and you publicly shamed him. Which one is worse in your high standards?

Let's look out for each other, especially if someone is acting odd!

I hope you two can come up with a good strategy to resolve both of your needs.

Well, you heard wrong, from someone obviously on the defensive about his behavior. If you feel the need to make excuses for him given your personal relationship with him thats fine. But it doesnt change the facts of the situation.

I expect some degree of professionalism from businesses that provides services. I expect to be called when someone cant make a business appointment and leaves customers standing in 105 heat. And not responding to our several phone calls. while we waited there for 35 minutes is inexcusable, since it turns out he was at home and had access to a phone.

My need for a reliable luthier is resolved by going to another that will be there to help me when I arrive at their place of business and has the necessary skills as well.

The matter is resolved for me. Im moving on.

What I hear is that you felt upset, frustrated and disappointed, because you have a need for clarity, efficiency and trust.
I know Alan for over a decade and he is not a flaky type. Maybe he was not comfortable to share the details of his private life with a customer.
Everyone could have one of those days and if so, blame and shame probably doesn't do much help for him.

Maybe he flaked and you publicly shamed him. Which one is worse in your high standards?

Seriously???? All he had to do was call & say "something came up & I can't make it. Can we reschedule." It has nothing to do what so ever with giving out details of his personal life. That's pure nonsense! I would bail on him too in a heartbeat!

If your job is fixing guitars for money- do your job-

It's not a friend doing a favor, it's business. That's his business-

Sounds like he sucks at his business.

Don't make excuses for him because you like him or are his friend- if he sucks/call him out-

Actually, I was in touch with Roman Guitars. Im not sure if Ed Romans death affected policy there, but they were very congenial and professional compared to Alan at AMD. Prices quoted were reasnable and they said I could either drop in or make an appointment with the luthier. I will check them out in the future and report back.

Same. I was in town for something else, and had heard about the place. No appt, I just showed up and can't remember if I called, or the door was open, but I pretty much had the place to myself. I don't remember who I talked with, but he was nice. Most of their guitars aren't really my thing, but they have some of everything. It sounds like they are still building guitars, doing custom work, etc. Someone with an appt showed up while I was there with a handful of guitars from a family member that had died. The guy sounded very fair in talking to them and checking them out.

I don't think I'd have a reason to go back, but it's alright to go check out.

Back
Top Bottom