Guitar Rec by Double Track

Mark897

Hi, guys. I use Axe Fx2, there is 2 output. So I want to record the guitar by double tracking. How do I setup?

no setup needed. record one track. record the exact same thing again on another track. pan one track hard left and the other hard right. don't copy and paste from one track to the other. don't record both tracks at the same time. you need to record them one after the other, so the slight differences create the wide stereo spread that you want.

I know that, and usually rec by that way. But, for metal, I want to overdub 4 guitars and tighten rhythm.

ok, so what's your question?

you said you wanted to double track and asked if you need to do anything to set this up. i answered that question, but you said that's how you normally do it. now you're saying you want to quad track and "tighten rhythm".

quad tracking is no different than double tracking, except it's usual to record the second pair with a slightly different sound than the first and pan them in a little bit. check out misha mansoor on youtube, i think he has some tips on this. if you want to tighten rhythm, are you asking about "timing" or "sound"? you'll have to be much clearer with your questions.

Last edited:
I'm sorry to bother you. I'm not good at using English, so I can't find the way to ask.

I'm going to check out misha mansoor on youtube. Thank you for teaching.

My questuion is "timing". When quad tracking, I’m concerned about getting out of rhythm.
I know it's just fix it on DAW, but I want to simplify production process if possible to rec twice, quad tracking.

My questuion is "timing". When quad tracking, I’m concerned about getting out of rhythm.
I know it's just fix it on DAW, but I want to simplify production process if possible to rec twice, quad tracking.

there's no quick fix. to get the correct sound, each part has to be recorded separately. if you record left and right at the same time, that's the same as recording one mono track. even using different amps and cabs for the left and right channels and recording them at the same time won't give you the same "spread" as recording the same amp and cab twice. it takes time and practice. you can easily test all this for yourself by recording a short segment of a tune using all of the above methods.

double tracking sounds good because you record it twice. the differences in your recordings is what makes it sound good.

if you just copy paste it won't sound the same, and if you output 2 tracks from the Axe, it won't sound the same either.

you have to physically record it multiple times.

As @chris and @simeon mentioned you have to record multiple takes. Double/quad tracking is something that requires experimentation and practice. It's worth it though - see below for an example.

Back
Top Bottom