Guitar quest continues

Would appreciate your thoughts on the new 2020 model of PRS 594 (single cut). They made the body slightly thicker, finish is nitro, LT+ version of pickups and different tuners, all supposedly to continue chasing the 59 LP holy grail tone. I'm on the fence but really getting the itch to go for it.
I actually grabbed a 2019 because I wanted the locking tuners, so I don't know about the TCI pickups or nitro finish. (I think the TCI thing is more about consistency than being tonally different though.) Also mine is a doublecut model. I'm a thumb hanger and single cuts make my hand bonk into the body.

View attachment 76437View attachment 76438

I got a screaming deal on this, so it's on the way.

I'd love to hear your thoughts on your H150 when it arrives. I have a 2020 H150 in lemon burst.

It does suffer from some of the same issues as a typical Gibson Les Paul, namely tuning stability. The damn G string goes out of tune every 5 seconds. I've tried lubricating the nut and installing locking tuners with no success. One of these days I'll take it to a guitar tech to have the nut modified or replaced. The nut is made of corian, which I've never encountered on any other guitar.

The nitro finish on my H150 was extremely sticky for the first few months. That improved with the use of Virtuoso polish, which was recommended to me by Heritage. The finish is still a little sticky, but nowhere near as bad as it was.

I've had issues with intonation. The guitar will intonate, but just barely. I swapped out the stock Faber bridge with a Graphtech Resomax bridge with metal saddles. Didn't really solve the problem. I still have to have the low E and A saddles all the way forward. Close enough for rock I guess.

The electronics are nice, has 500K CTS pots. Tone is great, plays well with a nice fat 50's neck. The trapezoid inlays appear to be MOP and not acrylic like Gibson Les Pauls. The top on my H150 is gorgeous. The control cavity is unshielded so depending on your environment the guitar may pick up a lot of noise.

My first guitar was 78 Lp standard, nothing special by any stretch. Spent most of my adult life going through variations of Gibson's trying to find "the one' with no success. Heard nothing but good things about Heritage, hope you found your answer.

I don't have the 2020 model but do have a 594 - and a few Historics ranging from R7 to R0. The 594 is a superb guitar but not quite the same animal as a great LP. If you absolutely want it to sound, play, feel exactly like an LP, get a reissue - and find a good one; though the quality level is better than the USA models (my opinion only), there are still great ones, nice ones, and the occasional dog.
Yeah, that's the conundrum. I have a PRS SC 245 and it is the best paying guitar I have by a mile, and the tone is really clear and articulate with more grunt than my HB superstrats, but not quite the LP thing. But, I don't really want to deal with the LP quirks beyond the tone. I'll probably just have to try the 594 and see if it closes the gap enough. Thanks.

I actually grabbed a 2019 because I wanted the locking tuners, so I don't know about the TCI pickups or nitro finish. (I think the TCI thing is more about consistency than being tonally different though.) Also mine is a doublecut model. I'm a thumb hanger and single cuts make my hand bonk into the body.
I love the locking tuners, so I'd probably put those on the 2020 for sure. I have a 2015 SC 245 and love it, but am always chasing tone. I guess that's a good thing, keep it interesting. I'll probably just have to get it and see if I bond with it, really no other way to know. Thanks.

I got the SC594. I also wasn’t looking to bleed $4K, so I went with a clean used one for half that. It’s the real deal. Sold my Les Paul and bought a second used 594, a Soapbar version. Both are top notch guitars, it just took a little patience and shopping. One was off Reverb, one was a Craigslist find.

Meet Layla and Lola...

FF1101CB-198B-40B2-BA9B-E1EDDCD2E36C.jpeg

I got a H150 second hand last year.
No problems with the G-string or tuning instabilities or intonation.
It's a great guitar.
Superb finish.
Just swapped the pups for zebra's and the gold knobs for black ones.
Changed the tone pots to vintage system.

20200319_085759.jpg

I was also looking at the PRS 594 but also feel they are way overpriced.
I like to get my hands on a SC 245 or SC 58.
I like the layout of the knobs better as well.
I like to have one knob closer to the bridge.

Last edited:
I don’t think most people have the same problems with their H150 that I’ve had. I’m pretty sure I have a lemon. There has to be some problem with it and I hope it doesn’t require major surgery to fix it. Kinda frustrating but I guess that happens sometimes.

I don’t think most people have the same problems with their H150 that I’ve had. I’m pretty sure I have a lemon. There has to be some problem with it and I hope it doesn’t require major surgery to fix it. Kinda frustrating but I guess that happens sometimes.
Have you tried adjusting neck relief? I’ve owned a couple of the H150’s (yup, they’re a Les Paul) and more LP’s than I can recall. I’ve found that, as long as everything else is in working order, making some setup adjustments can really help. LP’s seem to work better for me with medium or better neck relief. Also, the string break angle at the bridge <> tailpiece has a wide affect on string tension and tuning. There’s definitely a sweet spot where it all comes together. I’ve found it to be medium neck relief and a little less break angle.

Have you tried adjusting neck relief? I’ve owned a couple of the H150’s (yup, they’re a Les Paul) and more LP’s than I can recall. I’ve found that, as long as everything else is in working order, making some setup adjustments can really help. LP’s seem to work better for me with medium or better neck relief. Also, the string break angle at the bridge <> tailpiece has a wide affect on string tension and tuning. There’s definitely a sweet spot where it all comes together. I’ve found it to be medium neck relief and a little less break angle.

Yeah, been there, done that. Unfortunately no success. I’ve topped wrapped so there is very little break angle, I’ve strung the guitar normally but raised the tailpiece til the strings don’t contact the bridge and provided little break angle, I’ve tightened the tailpiece all the way down so there is a very high break angle and the strings contact the back of the bridge before hitting the saddles. And everywhere in between. No luck.

I prefer about 0.004” of relief on my guitars, which is where I have my H150 set (measured using a straight edge and feeler gauges). But I’ve gone everywhere between dead straight and 0.01”, no luck.

I’ve been considering learning to play slide, so maybe I’ll make my H150 my slide guitar. Then intonation won’t be that big of a deal.

The short answer is 'WOW'.

This is the Les Paul you want. I unpacked it, and planned on a cursory play session, but just got out of a 3 hour session where I did not care to stop, and even now after stopping, I'm considering losing a few more hours sleep to get my hands on it.

@pharmd07 and @deakle The build quality, the comfort and LP whisper and roar are there. I LOVE the pups on it. 59's that are a bit crispy, but respond well to more gain and volume knob usage. Of course it loves Plexi's.

The guitar is SOLID. I like heavy on my LP's, and this is not ungodly at 8LB's 15OZ, but the feeling of a well crafted instrument is there. Medium large frets, medium neck. I could not find a dead or iffy fret note. Some may not like it, but the knobs are firm (many like easily moving knobs.). I personally like them being less apt to random movement while jumping around.

It's not overly bright, but found the tone knob to be useful on the bridge PUP. Will take more investigation, but it seemed to not do anything until it was down to 4/3. Maybe ear fatigue. No huge tonal jump in between middle and bridge PUP position...more attitude and snarl and bridge (what it should be.)

A VERY dynamic guitar. Even on very gainy presets, I was able to do dynamics with picking attitude. On bridge at 3 on volume, it can be clean or mildly saucy with 'dig in'.

Like a few guitars I have been lucky to pick up lately, this one WANTS to be played. Most know what I mean. You feel as if you have to coax tone out of it. This one (without waxing too philosophic) seems like it's waiting for you to uncover what it can do. Ease is astounding. The one I have is very barky, and cannot comment on other guitars, but this one cuts through nicely.

I should not need to say anything about the setup...it's perfect.

I have not worked with completely clean presets, so not there yet. But bottom line is that if you have reservations about Heritage...put them to rest.

R

This is the Les Paul you want. I unpacked it, and planned on a cursory play session, but just got out of a 3 hour session where I did not care to stop, and even now after stopping, I'm considering losing a few more hours sleep to get my hands on it.

@pharmd07 and @deakle The build quality, the comfort and LP whisper and roar are there. I LOVE the pups on it. 59's that are a bit crispy, but respond well to more gain and volume knob usage. Of course it loves Plexi's.

The guitar is SOLID. I like heavy on my LP's, and this is not ungodly at 8LB's 15OZ, but the feeling of a well crafted instrument is there. Medium large frets, medium neck. I could not find a dead or iffy fret note. Some may not like it, but the knobs are firm (many like easily moving knobs.). I personally like them being less apt to random movement while jumping around.

It's not overly bright, but found the tone knob to be useful on the bridge PUP. Will take more investigation, but it seemed to not do anything until it was down to 4/3. Maybe ear fatigue. No huge tonal jump in between middle and bridge PUP position...more attitude and snarl and bridge (what it should be.)

A VERY dynamic guitar. Even on very gainy presets, I was able to do dynamics with picking attitude. On bridge at 3 on volume, it can be clean or mildly saucy with 'dig in'.

Like a few guitars I have been lucky to pick up lately, this one WANTS to be played. Most know what I mean. You feel as if you have to coax tone out of it. This one (without waxing too philosophic) seems like it's waiting for you to uncover what it can do. Ease is astounding. The one I have is very barky, and cannot comment on other guitars, but this one cuts through nicely.

I have not worked with completely clean presets, so not there yet. But bottom line is that if you have reservations about Heritage...put them to rest.

R
Congratulation!

R

That’s awesome! Congrats!

R

Excellent. Can you post a couple clips?

Back
Top Bottom