Guitar quest continues

electronpirate

Axe-Master
I now have 2 guitars that I love. Both PRS. And Edwards LP that I like.

I do want a beefy LP type thing still. I've looked at the PRS 594's, but I'm not willing to throw the 4k down on that. I thought for a bit trying Gibby Goldtop again, but I guess I'm jaded on them...so tired of 'just okay' guitars.

Just put a bid in Reverb on a Heritage H-150. I've struggled to find a bad review on them, so for the 2k, I figured what the hell.

Sigh.

R

Sounds like you’re a bit of a traditionalist. I’ve been impressed with Gibson’s new 50’s and 60’s LP Standards. It seems they’ve picked up the pace a little since the re-org filing. They’re non-weight relieved but I’ve seen several that are right at 9 lbs or even less. Fit and finish have been great. The examples I’ve played have felt better in the hand than some of the Gibson Custom’s I’ve owned and played over the years. The pickups aren’t my favorites but that’s a personal choice and an easy swap.

And everyone should own a Tele... 😀

Sold my ‘59 reissue LP about 8 years ago, and I’m in the same boat as you...looking for that type again, but somewhat put off by the quality issues with Gibson over a few years. I have family in Michigan, and toured the Heritage factory (former Gibson factory) and I’m a fan of the Heritage. May go that route as well....still a very boutique looking shop.

I made myself a promise that I would never get another Les Paul, since I always navigate back to various Super Strat type guitars, but seeing that picture it kind of opens a loophole for me... I may consider a Heritage one day. Love the sounds of an LP, but as others have mentioned the QC can be iffy and finding the right one isn't easy.

@electronpirate please let me know what you think when you receive it. I am considering one exactly like this. I am very interested in your thoughts.

Will do. I can't go Gibson any longer. The PRS was intriguing, but for a few extra ducks I could get the Heritage. Always been told that they are 'a Les Paul actually done right'.

We're going to find out.

I love my core 594 dearly. I use the coil splits all the time. With the 58/15LT's It doesn't sound like a Strat. It's closer to the middle ground between a Strat and P90 type of tone. It's hard to describe. It's like P90 heat, but a little scooped and less dark.

It was expensive, but in the end it inspires me to pick it up to play because a) it looks fantastic with amazing build quality, second) it's my best sustaining guitar, C) The asymmetric neck carve is super comfortable for me and finally) it's my best intonating guitar. (Not necessarily in that order.)

View attachment 76437View attachment 76438

I got a screaming deal on this, so it's on the way.
That guitar looks gorgeous and I would like to know how it plays and sounds.
Nevertheless, since I bought a 594, I didn't touch my Les Paul anymore. I feel a little bit bad about it, because it's my oldest guitar (1992) and I still like the sound of it. But the difference in playability is so huge, that I automatically grab the 594, when I want this kind of tone.

Today, with good CNC routing, well trained workers and a desire to deliver good quality at a decent price there are plenty of cheaper options to get a good LP. No need to reward Gibson for their overinflated boutique priced guitars with China levels of quality control.

I love my core 594 dearly. I use the coil splits all the time. With the 58/15LT's It doesn't sound like a Strat. It's closer to the middle ground between a Strat and P90 type of tone. It's hard to describe. It's like P90 heat, but a little scooped and less dark.

It was expensive, but in the end it inspires me to pick it up to play because a) it looks fantastic with amazing build quality, second) it's my best sustaining guitar, C) The asymmetric neck carve is super comfortable for me and finally) it's my best intonating guitar. (Not necessarily in that order.)
Would appreciate your thoughts on the new 2020 model of PRS 594 (single cut). They made the body slightly thicker, finish is nitro, LT+ version of pickups and different tuners, all supposedly to continue chasing the 59 LP holy grail tone. I'm on the fence but really getting the itch to go for it.

Would appreciate your thoughts on the new 2020 model of PRS 594 (single cut). They made the body slightly thicker, finish is nitro, LT+ version of pickups and different tuners, all supposedly to continue chasing the 59 LP holy grail tone. I'm on the fence but really getting the itch to go for it.

I don't have the 2020 model but do have a 594 - and a few Historics ranging from R7 to R0. The 594 is a superb guitar but not quite the same animal as a great LP. If you absolutely want it to sound, play, feel exactly like an LP, get a reissue - and find a good one; though the quality level is better than the USA models (my opinion only), there are still great ones, nice ones, and the occasional dog.

Back
Top Bottom