Guitar pickups getting electronic noise that I can't pin down

OK, got ya. PSE&G (the power company) told me to contact their inspection department. Suggested that they can come out and inspect the meter, or at least unlock it so my electrician can inspect it. The department closed at 3:30 so I had to leave a message.

The PSE&G inspector came out. Good guy, was really curious about the problem. He tightened the neutral and that did not help. He removed the meter, thus cutting off the electricity altogether to the breaker box,. The hum disappeared. He thought perhaps it was RF coming from the meter since the new meters have cell transmitters. But that was not the case. We know this because he had a jumper panel and put it in (a jumper temporarily restores power when a meter is not present). The jumper had no transmitter in it. Yet the hum returned. So he said it is definitely the power cycle, and thus probably EMF.

He said my house is fed by the station a few blocks away, and that they started a major upgrade. But he indicated that even if that was the cause, PSE&G would not be able to do anything to correct it.

So he said to see what I can do to fix it myself (Faraday Cage, etc), keep my receipts, and call one of two claims numbers he gave me. He said if I document it properly (and he is documenting it also), then I should be able to get reimbursed.

Last edited:
The PSE&G inspector came out. Good guy, was really curious about the problem. He tightened the neutral and that did not help. He removed the meter, thus cutting off the electricity altogether to the breaker box,. The hum disappeared. He thought perhaps it was RF coming from the meter since the new meters have cell transmitters. But that was not the case. We know this because he had a jumper panel and put it in (a jumper temporarily restores power when a meter is not present). The jumper had no transmitter in it. Yet the hum returned. So he said it is definitely the power cycle, and thus probably EMF.

He said my house is fed by the station a few blocks away, and that they started a major upgrade. But he indicated that even if that was the cause, PSE&G would not be able to do anything to correct it.

So he said to see what I can do to fix it myself (Faraday Cage, etc), keep my receipts, and call one of two claims numbers he gave me. He said if I document it properly (and he is documenting it also), then I should be able to get reimbursed.

I feel your pain. My current home sits really close to a huge right of way, and not far up the line, there is a HUGE substation. So my house constantly has noise due to that. Other houses in my neighborhood that sit close to it have the same issues, however I'm the only guitar player in my neighborhood, so it doesn't bother anyone else ha! I've played at several homes around my area and the ones furthest from the right of way seems to have little to no interference.

Nice update. I'm not sure what "definitely the power cycle" means.

In any case, it's cool that they would cover a Faraday cage.

Last edited:
Faraday cage for the win. They're not difficult to implement, provided you have a very solid grounding source. When I put mine into the home studio, it was during a remodel, so I put the mesh behind the drywall and soldered the edges for a positive connection. I drove a dedicated ground rod outside the studio room for it, and connected the brass mesh to that. All of the outlet boxes in the room are in plastic remodel boxes; I set them back in the walls by about four inches, and built a hinged door that has integrated mesh that is connected to the cage. Once I plug something in, I close the door, which leaves only the small cord cutout open. The door to my studio was my own build; I laminated the mesh inside the door, leaving a copper bolt exposed near the top hinge. Once the door was hung, I ran a short piece of copper braid to the wall and soldered it to a connection point with the mesh.

It's amazing how effective this is. I have some older effect pedals and outboard equipment that is very noisy in most setting. That gear is dead silent in the room. My single-coil pickups are also very quiet, which lets me use vintage gear without resorting to notch filtering or aggressive gating.

I feel your pain. My current home sits really close to a huge right of way, and not far up the line, there is a HUGE substation. So my house constantly has noise due to that. Other houses in my neighborhood that sit close to it have the same issues, however I'm the only guitar player in my neighborhood, so it doesn't bother anyone else ha! I've played at several homes around my area and the ones furthest from the right of way seems to have little to no interference.

I had written a "few blocks away". A half a mile or a mile is probably more accurate.

Faraday cage for the win. They're not difficult to implement, provided you have a very solid grounding source. When I put mine into the home studio, it was during a remodel, so I put the mesh behind the drywall and soldered the edges for a positive connection. I drove a dedicated ground rod outside the studio room for it, and connected the brass mesh to that. All of the outlet boxes in the room are in plastic remodel boxes; I set them back in the walls by about four inches, and built a hinged door that has integrated mesh that is connected to the cage. Once I plug something in, I close the door, which leaves only the small cord cutout open. The door to my studio was my own build; I laminated the mesh inside the door, leaving a copper bolt exposed near the top hinge. Once the door was hung, I ran a short piece of copper braid to the wall and soldered it to a connection point with the mesh.

It's amazing how effective this is. I have some older effect pedals and outboard equipment that is very noisy in most setting. That gear is dead silent in the room. My single-coil pickups are also very quiet, which lets me use vintage gear without resorting to notch filtering or aggressive gating.

Cool. It sounds like you enclosed the entire studio inside a Faraday cage. Is that correct? I am hoping I only need to do so around the breaker box, or along that one wall and possibly part of the ceiling give that the hum only occurs within 20 ft of the breaker box..

Given that the hum disappears when the meter was removed today, but not when I had the main breaker is off previously, that infers the approx 4 ft portion of the line between the meter and the breaker box is the culprit. I am hoping I can perhaps isolate that with special fabric, paint, or mesh. Perhaps even somehow wrap or line the the outside PVC conduit with something.

But I believe my next step is to create an EMF grid using a Gauss meter. Meaning that I need to document where the EMF is greater than 2 around the breaker box. Then go from there. This is something I saw at that LessEMF website I mentioned, and I am now in contact with someone there.

It might work to just cage the breaker box. In my use case, it made more sense to just cage my studio room. The EMF outside that room is tolerable, and doesn't give me trouble. I just wanted my studio to be noise-free, and because I had the space gutted to the studs, it was a simple process to do it.

Given that the hum disappears when the meter was removed today, but not when I had the main breaker is off previously, that infers the approx 4 ft portion of the line between the meter and the breaker box is the culprit.
It would be cool if all you need to worry about is a four-foot section of wiring, though that suggests a dodgy connection there.

Not sure what to make of that LessEMF site. It seems to be a weird mixture of science and pseudoscience. I find it hard to trust an outfit that sells ghost-hunting equipment. :)

Last edited:
It would be cool if all you need to worry about is a four-foot section of wiring, though that suggests a dodgy connection there.

Not sure what to make of that LessEMF site. It seems to be a weird mixture of science and pseudoscience. I find it hard to trust an outfit that sells ghost-hunting equipment. :)

As I think of it, and based on a couple of things that occurred to me, I need to zero in on specific parts of that 4 ft section.

1) The connection to the braker panel (ie: a dodgy connection)
2) The box that holds the meter (ie: a dodgy connection)
3) The 4 ft section of line itself between the meter and the breaker panel (which seems less likely to me this morning).

I went outside with my testing rig again this morning. When I get closer to the meter, it gets really bad. This as opposed to kneeling down and getting closer to the 4 ft section below it, or even lower where the line goes into the house and panel. Yes, it still hums down lower, but it is most horrible when I hold the Strat up to the meter. Which is 4' 8" off the ground.

When I get the gauss meter, it will probably be a good idea for me to document readings around the breaker panel inside the studio and also outside around the meter. Based on what I experienced this morning, it wouldn't surprise me if the source is coming from the meter box. Maybe not the meter itself, but something in that box. The connection in some way.

EDIT (about an hour after original post): I tried the test again outside. But this time, the hum didn't really change as I got lower to the ground. Sometimes it did about halfway down. Sometimes it did not. And if it did get less, then as soon as I got as low as the elbow where the line goes into the house, it got worse again. However, the hum did seem to get lower if I held the guitar above the meter, over the conduit containing the line.

Last edited:
As a testing note, I realized just now that my ME-70 had the noise gate enabled. So I took it off. This does indeed change things. I get hum even farther away now. So what this means is that the hum reaches a normal or acceptable level about 20 ft from the breaker panel or meter. By "normal or acceptable", I mean a level that can be handled by a noise gate using settings that don't prematurely cut off my sustain, etc.

As promised, here is a short audio recording of the hum. The guitar is my Fender Strat with a Screamin Demon through my Boss ME-70 (on batteries and direct via the headphone jack to Cubase). The first half of the recording is the worst hum, which is the pickup in single coil mode. The second half is in dual coil mode, and the hum is much less. The double coil hum is probably more like you might expect from a single coil in a normal room and definitely more manageable. But the single coil hum is horrible.

I hope this Soundcloud link appears since I have not yet made 10 posts on the site. If it does not, here is the location at Soundcloud: /meflyingv/hum-test-07192016/s-eK8xD

Sounds like RF interference, and not a ground loop. I hope the Faraday cage works for you.

This is a nightmare. I lived in a house for a year directly across the street from a cell tower. It introduced horrendous interference everywhere in the house, and outside as well. Had I not been renting with an end in sight, I would have tried a Faraday cage in my studio and bedroom. Had I owned the house, I would have moved anyway. Best of luck.

Hey everyone. I wanted to check in because I have a much better handle on the situation. And while it is not yet fixed 100%, the hum is more manageable now.

I had a NJ based EMF expert come in and take readings (I live in NJ). Joseph Dumanov of http://www.spectralanalyticalsciences.com/

He said the entire house was fine regarding EMF readings except, of course, in my studio and in the master bedroom immediately above it. 22 to 58mG readings.

Before I continue, here is some important layout information. As is code here in NJ, a ground line runs from my breaker box to the incoming water line. This is not the main ground, as I have two spikes in the ground for that. There is also a ground jumper that that runs from one side of the water meter to the other on the water pipe.

When I had my 200 amp service put in prior to building the studio, the new water ground wire went direct from the breaker box to the water line. That path happens to be in the ceiling immediately over my head in the live room. The ground wire exits the live room next to the studio door and meets the water line about 4 feet away from the door.

OK, back to the results.

It became apparent to Joseph that the high mG readings were present in the entire path of ground wire. In the ceiling over my head and also where it meets the water pipe. And readings were also coming from the water pipe. As such, electricity was in the ground wire and the pipe. Based on the mG readings, he estimated 15 amps. I then walked out of the live room with my Strat and stood near the water meter. The closer I got to the meter, the worse the hum. It was really bad when just inches away.

The question then became this. Is the electricity coming into the ground line and water pipe from my breaker box? Or is it the reverse? Is it coming from the water main into the house via my water line and into the ground wire?

So my electrician , Rich (the one who has done all my work), came by in mid September. He did not have a clamp meter, but rather a meter that was designed to measure wires and had a small opening. So all he could test was the ground wire, not the pipe.

Rich got a reading of about 1.8 amps initially with fluctuations up to 5 amps. He got similar readings on the ground jumper.

Rich temporarily removed the ground wire from the water pipe just to see where the source of the electricity seemed to be. He then measured both the ground wire and the jumper (the jumper still being connected to the water line). The ground wire went to 0 amps. But the jumper still had readings. As such, it appeared that the electricity was coming from the water line, not from my breaker box.

With the ground removed, the hum on my guitar stopped. And even better, even after Rich reconnected the ground wire, it was gone. About an hour later it returned, but it was much more manageable. More like a normal Strat hum. And to this day, it is still manageable.

We also discovered that turning on electrical devices is increasing the reading. My girlfriend happened to turn on her hair dryer during the testing, and the reading jumped 2 amps from 1.8 to 3.8.

I subsequently purchased a clamp meter so I could take readings myself on both the ground and the water pipe. This happens consistently regarding devices. When nothing is on (no dryer, no guitar gear) the reading is generally about 0.8 amps. Start turning stuff on, and it immediately goes up. As if the electricity is trying to find its way back to the water line and to the source of the problem.

BTW, the water line AFTER the ground wire is fine. So the electricity is coming in through the pipe, diverts to the jumper, goes back into the pipe, then goes into the ground wire.

I made reference to the "source of the problem". It is most likely a bad ground-to-neutral connection somewhere in my neighborhood. This is a 1950's neighborhood, so most people still have metal water lines running to the house and in the street. As such, if someone has a bad ground-to-neutral or other issue, electricity can run from their house via their ground into their water line, out to the water main, and run into all the other houses. I have taken water pipe and ground wire measurements for two of my neighbors, and both have similar readings. So this does seem to be the case.

My electric company, PSE&G, has been very helpful. They do concur that the electricity is coming into my house via the water pipe (meaning there is no issue in my wiring). One of the techs is even a bassist so he is even more interested in finding the source. But it will be very hard and quite possibly they will not find the source. They have tried a number of things in the neighborhood, but so far no luck.

So what are my options? Well for now, the hum is manageable and correspondingly the mG reading seems lower. About 3 mG with nothing on but up to 11 mG with the hair dryer on. But remember, the master bedroom is directly above the live room. So it has similar readings. My girlfriend tends to believe that high EMF fields are bad for your health, and anything above 6 mG is bad. So she is uncomfortable having me leave it as-is.

That leaves one fix. I would need to have the metal water line that runs from the street to my house replaced with PVC. Replacing a small section of pipe would work (a section long enough to avoid "arcing") but replacing the whole thing would be better. This won't help my neighbors, but it will at least fix my problem. Which is the main thing. And of course, that won't be cheap.

Wow, interesting post. I have a very similar noise as well (sounds exactly the same) and it has been driving me crazy! Will look into a EMI/RFI test to see if I can find out what's causing it.

Wow, interesting post. I have a very similar noise as well (sounds exactly the same) and it has been driving me crazy! Will look into a EMI/RFI test to see if I can find out what's causing it.

tompa, I would definitely suggest figuring out where your water pipe ground wire is in relation to where you are standing. Report back and I will suggest the next step based on your answer.

Super old house from 1904, I would be very surprised if there were any water pipes nearby as all of the appliances and faucets are in the other part of the house, I would say 15-20 feet away.

Things I've tried/noticed:
- Tested multiple guitars and they all have the same issue, even humbuckers squeal similar to your audio clip.
- Tested high quality line/power conditioners with no success.
- Doesn't really matter where in the house that I am playing guitar, quite similar throughout

Perhaps I need to buy an EMF/RFI tester to find where it's coming from?

Sorry for derailing your thread by the way!

Back
Top Bottom