Guitar Picks, What do you play?

the purple dunlop 1.14mm, although since christmas my recording pick has been this one made from a cymbal that my mom got me randomly from a shop online i think she said was based in TN. it's really the bees knees but i don't want to bring it out to play shows with in case i lose it because i'm pretty sure it wasn't cheap

Maybe you guys know where to get picks cheaper in larger quantities? Say dunlop picks for example?

Mine are custom print with our band logo, so we had to buy 800 minimum. I was very good friends with the dealer before he passed away, so I got them almost at his cost. Came to less than $.40/pick.

I would just go to your local guitar shop and ask if they can get packs of 72. Last time I bought a bag of those it was like, $.33/pick $25/bag.

Clayton 1mm standard shape, white moto, band logo
jaycm800-albums-more-pics-picture6467-picks.jpg

Dunlop Tortex 1.14 purple. I sharpen them on the carpet. The ones you buy sharpened are too skinny on the sides like they are chopped off straight so I just rub them on the carpet at an angle a couple times on each side and they are perfectly sharp. You can make a pick last a lot longer by doing this also.

Been using flesh and fingernails a lot lately. There are some amazing tones to be had and they are pretty cheap! I am showing them off on my avatar :encouragement:

I've always prefered the tone of good old Celluloid picks, but they wear out quickly. Dunlop's Ultex has a tone and attack that is pretty similar to celluloid but lasts A LOT longer. Regular old Fender medium or heavy celluloid picks have been my mainstay for years, but lately I've been trying out some Dunlop ultex Jazz III picks and really like them. Sometimes I'll use Dunlop Tortex picks on my strat to warm it up a little. Tortex has a smoother and more mellow attack that works well on super bright guitars. I like heavy Tortex picks (the purple ones) for bass as well. They have a nice thump to the attack. I usually use Fender celluloid thin picks for acoustic struming. Hard to beat fingers for certain styles too, especially on bass (James Jamerson anyone), but I suck at fingerstyle bass.

Last edited:

OMG ! OMG ! OMG ! OMG !

I just tried these ! And I loved them .... Just Beware, they're "spendy" ....

It usually takes me a few hours or even days to bond with a new pick, especially if it's quite a bit different than what I'm used to ….

That WAS NOT the case with the Black Diamond picks ! Literally from the "first strum" or "first licks" I played the pick felt very, VERY natural in my hand. No adjustment to my picking technique at all ! The tone was what I expected, no unpleasant artifacts ( pick chirp, etc; ). Even "pinch-harmonics" were nice and clear …. This is a pretty big point for me, as some picks can make them very shrill and piercing.

And I love the sharper tip radius !

Been using these Clayton's since mid 1990's, (1.52 mm). Love the material they're made of for string attack and anti-slippage.

dnt969869300742__50653_std.jpg

I've tried many picks for years. For ease of play, for tone, for what I keep going back to.

Bottom line is that for everyday use Fender Medium's. I was a firm 'heavy' guy, but I get miles more dynamics out of the mediums.

If I had unlimited funds, I would use Red Bear picks. For tone, there is no contest for me. They sound and play the best. But at $20+ a pop (and a continual 'not available right now'), they are not really a viable option.

R

Edit: I play some heavy stuff, but I'm more of a Plexi and JCM800 variant guy than the 'crush your skull' metal (i.e. Queensryche, Judas, 80's cock rock, some 90's, 00's drop D.)

Got my new intune Jumbo Jazz 1.5mm, picked them up on the promo they were running for the 4th. Great company to deal with.

V-picks, mainly the screamer. I've been experimenting with metal/bronze picks, like the everpick, but I haven't found one yet that adjust to my hand/has a good feel. But the sound for me is something very interesting.

Back
Top Bottom