Guitar pick harshness

Since nobody has mentioned it, Paul Gilbert hasn't always used those super thin picks. He has used heavy ones for most of his career. The thin ones are relatively new.

Has to be thick for me but all the different shapes and plastics sound quit a lot different to each other.
I would just experiment with some new materials.

Paul Gilbert also plays quite forte with light gauges so using a lighter pick will improve intonation.

No, I know what forte means (played Clarinet in band.) Just can't fathom anyone picking hard enough to affect the pitch.
Just bought my daughter a clarinet for school band next year....soooo not looking forward to listening to a child learn how to play a woodwind. Jeeze

No, I know what forte means (played Clarinet in band.) Just can't fathom anyone picking hard enough to affect the pitch.
Happens all the time to metalheads and hard rock people when recording.

About picking hard: just take a pattern of notes and play it in loop, same speed, but varying how hard you play, when you reach a certain point, you will sound more like Paul Gilbert. I think he had an exercise about varying pick intensity without changing speed in one of his earl instructional videos.

If you talk about actual music, you are going to play chords and riff at least 90% of the time. It's easier to go out of tune when doing rhythm parts.

I have a Friedman Cali with the custom plus bridge pup. I’m not hearing any harshness at all. Tried with my usual yellow Dunlop as well as a much thicker blue chip. The BC has a smoother sound for sure.

my problem with the Cali is the neck pup doesn’t have near the gain of the bridge even with adjusting it high and bridge low as I can go before it loss it’s magic. I do love the bridge pup tone. Awesome guitar

If you talk about actual music, you are going to play chords and riff at least 90% of the time. It's easier to go out of tune when doing rhythm parts.
I strongly disagree, The tone is way better and you get used to it very quickly. I know there are some amazing players out there that use thin picks but that is very much the minority. It's like going over to a guitar with lighter strings on you adjust your technique. The important thing is use what works for you.

I just purchased four different sizes of The Wedge. I usually play with 1.14 picks, and trying to play with a 0.50 pick is just ridiculous. Great for strumming, but rubbish for lead work (in my experience, anyway). It's flexing all over the place and makes it almost impossible to do fast lead work.

I'll stick with 1.0 or 1.14 I think.

If you have notes going out of tune depending on how hard the strings are struck, then your playing technique is seriously flawed. Either that or your guitar in in desperate need of repair.

Just bought my daughter a clarinet for school band next year....soooo not looking forward to listening to a child learn how to play a woodwind. Jeeze

Enjoy it! Those are good times. My son played Alto Sax from 6th to 8th grade and I loved
hearing him practice. I wish I could get him to do it now. :)

Back
Top Bottom