Guitar pick harshness

Okay, one more idea that has worked for me: set the preamp boost to 0.00 dB, but change the Boost Type from Neutral to another flavor. Mid Boost immediately removes the harshness for me. This is to me a genius part of the Axe FX, the ability to change preamp boost voicings like this; talk about giving your amp the ultimate mod. I understand this is a good way to avoid a drive block, but it does sound different to me; anyway, it's a hell of an effective way to eliminate harshness if you find the right flavor. :)

Okay, one more idea that has worked for me: set the preamp boost to 0.00 dB, but change the Boost Type from Neutral to another flavor. Mid Boost immediately removes the harshness for me. This is to me a genius part of the Axe FX, the ability to change preamp boost voicings like this; talk about giving your amp the ultimate mod. I understand this is a good way to avoid a drive block, but it does sound different to me; anyway, it's a hell of an effective way to eliminate harshness if you find the right flavor. :)
Love midboost - puts a nice roundness on anything - probably considered ruining the tone for some but me likey.

Man, I've fought with the JB for 20 years or more.

It can mismatch with some guitars for sure. It can save other guitars from the dumpster too.

So true. I just put one in a heavy ass PRS 245. It works perfectly.
In a lighter SuperStrat style guitar made of something like Alder
or Ash I would toss the JB in the dumpster. ;)

Try essetipicks speedy hybrid.. They are patented, cost a lot but one last one year and due to the material i think could also solve your problem
Where can you purchase these esseti picks?

I came across them at NAMM about 4 years ago and I found they are really GREAT sounding, however, it would seem like you can only purchase them directly from the company (the site is in Italian, I believe, and they are pretty expensive).

Where can you purchase these esseti picks?

I came across them at NAMM about 4 years ago and I found they are really GREAT sounding, however, it would seem like you can only purchase them directly from the company (the site is in Italian, I believe, and they are pretty expensive).
You re right.. Directely from the site or try on reverb.. I do confirm the speedy hybrid is very expensive but one last a lot..

Source : me.
I played the same model pick for 30 years and never thought of switching.

guitar teacher suggested I try different ones. After trying dozens of models, I now have favorites for different situations.

Every pick is going to sound different, Ill use a different pick depending on the sound im going for. As for pick harshness trying turning down the tone knob on your guitar and picking a little lighter.

Source : me.
I played the same model pick for 30 years and never thought of switching.

guitar teacher suggested I try different ones. After trying dozens of models, I now have favorites for different situations.
I was the same way, always using Fender mediums. But the last batch I bought, they don't "emboss" them any more, which I liked, to help me grip the pick. So I complained to SW, and they sent me an assortment pack of Dunlops. And I also started to realize that, for the type of playing I'm now working toward (clean, articulate, alternate patterns), a stiffer pick is better. So I totally switched to an Ultex pick. And I've switched yet again to a JP Jazz 3, just placed an order last night for 2 packs (they seem to last a LOT longer than the Ultex (so I've got about 60 Ultex Sharp 1.0 if anyone wants them.))
Point being, I was wrong in assuming I'd just stay with what I've used for most of the time I've been playing guitar. I say it's worth keeping an eye on what's available, really, in all gear, but yeah, don't forget about picks too. ;)

I was the same way, always using Fender mediums. But the last batch I bought, they don't "emboss" them any more, which I liked, to help me grip the pick. So I complained to SW, and they sent me an assortment pack of Dunlops. And I also started to realize that, for the type of playing I'm now working toward (clean, articulate, alternate patterns), a stiffer pick is better. So I totally switched to an Ultex pick. And I've switched yet again to a JP Jazz 3, just placed an order last night for 2 packs (they seem to last a LOT longer than the Ultex (so I've got about 60 Ultex Sharp 1.0 if anyone wants them.))
Point being, I was wrong in assuming I'd just stay with what I've used for most of the time I've been playing guitar. I say it's worth keeping an eye on what's available, really, in all gear, but yeah, don't forget about picks too. ;)
I had used Fender medium picks for over 40 years. Then I tried some JP jazz picks. I couldn't believe how much easier and faster I could play with them. The problem was that they were just a little too small. Then I tried the JP Flow picks which are larger than the jazz but smaller than the Fenders. I'll be sticking with these for now. Picks really do have a big influence on tone.

I had used Fender medium picks for over 40 years. Then I tried some JP jazz picks. I couldn't believe how much easier and faster I could play with them. The problem was that they were just a little too small. Then I tried the JP Flow picks which are larger than the jazz but smaller than the Fenders. I'll be sticking with these for now. Picks really do have a big influence on tone.
Yep, same here, for about 40 years too, haha!
We must have bought the same JP assortment pack. I had a little "adjustment" time with them, since they're smaller. For me, it was between the Flow & the Jazz 3, but the Flow is just too thick. I'm now ok with the size of the Jazz 3, and yes it does improve my playing as well. But for a while there, I was getting all kinds of artificial harmonics, due to the pick being smaller than what I'm used to. I adjusted my grip a bit, and now I love 'em! Probably got about 6 hours on it, and just starting to see some wear, so that's nice also.

I just snagged some of those Dunlop Flows in various sizes. Had been stuck on the
D'Andrea Pleks for the past 5 years or so. They last forever, but can be hard to find now.

Yep, same here, for about 40 years too, haha!
We must have bought the same JP assortment pack. I had a little "adjustment" time with them, since they're smaller. For me, it was between the Flow & the Jazz 3, but the Flow is just too thick. I'm now ok with the size of the Jazz 3, and yes it does improve my playing as well. But for a while there, I was getting all kinds of artificial harmonics, due to the pick being smaller than what I'm used to. I adjusted my grip a bit, and now I love 'em! Probably got about 6 hours on it, and just starting to see some wear, so that's nice also.
What size? I have some of the 1, 1.5, and 2.

I dunno....Ive been digging the red tortex .5 mm .... sometimes yellow .7
I used those really thick purple picks when I was a kid but I love the dynamics and expression I can only get with thin flexible picks. I tried the jazz 3 and the larger version recently and just can't mesh with it.

Article from mikeslayen.com

My friends we are facing an epidemic! It’s brutal some would say unnerving!

If you play guitar with a pick, you know what I’m talking about. You go to your local guitar store drop a few bucks and, in theory, have enough picks to last you for awhile.

You know you bought a few of the cool ones with skull designs on them, a few heavy ones for fast picking and that one thin one for strumming some folk songs.

Get home and it’s time for a practice session. You start jamming then a distraction, maybe the doorbell rings. You put your new skull pick down in a precise spot on the coffee table so you remember exactly where you left it so you don’t lose it. You dispatch the salesman at the door only to return to your rockin’ out and cue the theme from “Psycho” as you look down and that shiny new pick is gone.

“What the heck!?, I left it right there on the coffee table…right there in the corner!” Too late! …It’s gone…like a swimmer in “Jaws”, like a camper in Mike Myers’ neck of the woods, like one of Sigourney Weaver’s buddies in “Alien.”

Get a glass of water…Bam, another one gone! Go to the bathroom…ChaChing, your thin pick is gone! Picks disappear like crazy. Where do they go? It doesn’t make any sense.

Over the years I’ve come to one conclusion. There are Pick Gremlins amongst us. It doesn’t matter where you live or how careful you are with your picks they are gonna disappear on you. You can even check your pockets and the laundry, but, they’re gone! It’s the pick gremlins no other possibility.

For those of you who play guitar you KNOW what I’m talking about. For those that don’t…well you probably think all guitarists are nuts anyways.

Beware of the Pick Gremlins!

Article from mikeslayen.com

My friends we are facing an epidemic! It’s brutal some would say unnerving!

If you play guitar with a pick, you know what I’m talking about. You go to your local guitar store drop a few bucks and, in theory, have enough picks to last you for awhile.

You know you bought a few of the cool ones with skull designs on them, a few heavy ones for fast picking and that one thin one for strumming some folk songs.

Get home and it’s time for a practice session. You start jamming then a distraction, maybe the doorbell rings. You put your new skull pick down in a precise spot on the coffee table so you remember exactly where you left it so you don’t lose it. You dispatch the salesman at the door only to return to your rockin’ out and cue the theme from “Psycho” as you look down and that shiny new pick is gone.

“What the heck!?, I left it right there on the coffee table…right there in the corner!” Too late! …It’s gone…like a swimmer in “Jaws”, like a camper in Mike Myers’ neck of the woods, like one of Sigourney Weaver’s buddies in “Alien.”

Get a glass of water…Bam, another one gone! Go to the bathroom…ChaChing, your thin pick is gone! Picks disappear like crazy. Where do they go? It doesn’t make any sense.

Over the years I’ve come to one conclusion. There are Pick Gremlins amongst us. It doesn’t matter where you live or how careful you are with your picks they are gonna disappear on you. You can even check your pockets and the laundry, but, they’re gone! It’s the pick gremlins no other possibility.

For those of you who play guitar you KNOW what I’m talking about. For those that don’t…well you probably think all guitarists are nuts anyways.

Beware of the Pick Gremlins!
A pick Gremlin nabbed my prized red unpolished edge Gravity pick that came in the box with a JHS pedal. Best pick I ever had. Damn Gremlins got it.

Back
Top Bottom