Guitar Opinions $400 to $600 Range

DougO

Looking for opinions on any of the following guitars: Schecter C1 Platinum, Jackson JS32Q Dinky, or Ibanez RG470 series. I know this is a subjective issue as opinions are going to greatly vary. I've played Gibson's all of my life so I'm pretty familiar with these and Epiphone options.

A local guitar store has the above mentioned guitars in stock, and would like honest opinions from folks who have happened to play any of them. My wife and I will soon have a newly adopted daughter who is twelve years old. She sings, plays the piano and has an acoustic guitar, and stated she would like an electric. She has played a couple of my Gibsons and stated she is unsure she likes this style of guitar.

Just looking for a nice starter guitar in this price range if it exists without breaking the bank. Of course I don't want to buy something where the body is made of plywood and the neck will warp after a week of playing!

Any info would be appreciated

Those guitars you mentioned are all pretty good. If it was me, I would take my daughter (congrats btw) and see what she was into. The only thing I would be concerned about is the bridge. I would do a hard tail, just because the cheaper whammy bars have tuning issues.

Not on your criteria list but I find the Vox SSC 55 series and Airline/Eastwood guitars are outrageously good guitars for the money. I have owned both and currently have an Airline Tuxedo (w/trem) that plays like butter. Both were less than 600 (used).

I would buy used. There a bunch of great deals on $600’ish range guitars on TGP right now.

Take the daughter out to check out various necks and body shapes -- my guess is a used Mexican Strat or a high end Squier strat is the guitar.

Those are all good guitars, but unless the 12 year old is into metal or other heavy music they're probably not going to have a lot of aesthetic appeal. I'd get a Squier of some kind, a Strat would be the most versatile. The Classic Vibe series are really good quality. Personally I'd get the Ibanez, but that's just my preferred brand ;)

Take the family to the music store and let her decide with no pressure. Let her play multiple guitars. Do not let your likes get in the way. Just give good advise.

Schecter makes a very good guitar, regardless of price, and I would strongly advise against Squier. It seems to be an unpopular opinion but I tried to find a Classic Vibe (the one that "plays like a Custom Shop") that lived up to the hype they receive and was completely disappointed and unsuccessful. Went to three different stores and played as many as I could get my hands on. Each time I played the Squiers, I would play the Mexican equivalent and every time, the Mexican won out. No comparison in my personal experience.

I will concur with buying second hand and can attest to the fact that Reverend makes a great guitar as well. Also check online retailers like Sam Ash, Sweetwater etc... for "blems", I just purchased an Ibanez blem at a 25% discount from Sweetwater and can't find anything wrong with it.

Maybe a Japan made Squier Strat, those are after-sought by many, much better than the US made ones in the eighties :).

I like RG's so the RG470 is a great value for the money- but i would 1- buy used- 200-250 all day or hold off for a nice older Japan one for 150-250 or even a prestige used for 300-350

Not on your criteria list but I find the Vox SSC 55 series and Airline/Eastwood guitars are outrageously good guitars for the money. I have owned both and currently have an Airline Tuxedo (w/trem) that plays like butter. Both were less than 600 (used).
I have the same guitar Vox SSC55 Iced Tea burst...

I got it used for $170

It replaced 2 GIBSON SG's and a real Les Paul

It is incredible sounding and the pickups/electronics are amazing.

Reactions: mwd
I wouldn't want to be caught dead with an Ibanez. They're only good for firewood in my opinion. But that is just that, my opinion. I agree with what others have said, let her decide.

Back
Top Bottom