Guitar Magazine Time Capsule

Cool - I've seen Michael Nielsen do that on his YT Channel (Big Hairy Guitars) also. As someone who grew up on GFTPM, I love the trip down memory lane. Those were some of the only touchpoints we had with guitar players back in the day, so you looked forward to each issue with great anticipation.

I still have all of my Guitar World magazines going back to the 80's, Sadly I had to leave my GFTPM as well as some others when I last moved I probably had from the early to mid 80's up to the last issue. I truly wish I could have kept all of them.

I never was able to recreate the tones from the legends with my Peavey Studio Pro 40, though. Maybe they
didn't go into enough detail. ;)

Somewhere around here I have a few remaining Guitar Player mags from the late '70 and early '80. It's a trip to go back through them and see all the things that have changed...and all those that have not.

LOL. I have all my old issues on a shelf in the basement. the oldest one I found was Dec. 1987 Guitar World. The ads are a hoot.

"So if you're on a mission for tone, strike the first blow for quality. Test-fire the new Caliber .50 at your MESA/Boogie pro center-or call us direct."

"The right tone 128 times over. the ADA MP-1."

"The biggest thing to happen to the guitar since electricity." Digitech GSP-5.

"Just as ugly, twice as loud, the new Turbo RAT."

"If Michelangelo had a QUADRAVERB, he might have mixed music instead of paint."

My comic book collection disappeared thanks to my Mom amd my guitar magazine collection disappeared thanks to the ex-wife. Women!

My comic book collection disappeared thanks to my Mom amd my guitar magazine collection disappeared thanks to the ex-wife. Women!
While I was searching the shelf, I also came across my Sandman and Watchmen graphic novels.:)
I screwed up all of my GFPM mags years ago. They were taking up too much room, so I tore out all the transcriptions to save, and threw out the remaining thousand pages of ads.

Last edited:
LOL. I have all my old issues on a shelf in the basement. the oldest one I found was Dec. 1987 Guitar World. The ads are a hoot.

"So if you're on a mission for tone, strike the first blow for quality. Test-fire the new Caliber .50 at your MESA/Boogie pro center-or call us direct."

"The right tone 128 times over. the ADA MP-1."

"The biggest thing to happen to the guitar since electricity." Digitech GSP-5.

"Just as ugly, twice as loud, the new Turbo RAT."

"If Michelangelo had a QUADRAVERB, he might have mixed music instead of paint."
That last one is solid gold!

Sometimes I'm tempted to jump on those random CL ads where somebody is unloading a box of old guitar magazines for $15

I have a box or two full of GFTPM and I know that issue is in there. :) I had a subscription to it and always looked forward to getting a new issue every month.

Which magazine used to have the floppy vinyl records? First time I heard "Mystical Potato Head Groove Thing" was on one of those.

My favorite: there's a tear-out postcard you can fill out and mail to get a free demo video for a pedal. "Please allow 3 weeks for delivery". Things have changed :).

I discovered Joe Satriani from a flexible vinyl record that was included in a guitar magazine.

I've got boxes I tried to give away for free... Still have them.

My god, that's incredible. That's the one thing I regret giving up was my collection of GFTPM. I had a subscription, and I would read each issue cover to cover. I downloaded what issues I could find online, mostly through a facebook group dedicated to this (which I think might have been led by John Stix), and to me, it's all gold.

My god, that's incredible. That's the one thing I regret giving up was my collection of GFTPM. I had a subscription, and I would read each issue cover to cover. I downloaded what issues I could find online, mostly through a facebook group dedicated to this (which I think might have been led by John Stix), and to me, it's all gold.
I'm not sure how many GFTPM I have in there since they shuttered a long time ago... Probably mostly Guitar World and Guitar Player.

GFTPM was definitely my favorite, too.

Would love to be able flip through some Guitar Player, Hit Parader...mags from the late 70s as I remember doing at the mall on way home from hischool back in the day - must be some website somewhere that shows those.

Back
Top Bottom