guitar karaoke is real

Haters gonna hate! The guy is making decent donation money because he is entertaining. I'd be interested in hearing what the guy sounds like without the game in the background.

Ok, I'm still trying to figure out what it is that this guy is doing? He plays Guitar hero with a real guitar and gets people to give him money as a donation? As far as his playing goes he sound like trying to play it right but needs some work.

How is this different than any other gaming channel on twitch, besides that this actually requires some skill and I despite that still estimate his income to be a ridicolously tiny fraction of what Kaceytron or PewDiePie make every day by just being annoying and/or easy to look at.

Bottom Line: he is probably pretty entertaining and deserves his donations.

Hating a streamer for being a streamer is easy. Being entertaining enough so that people enjoy watching on a regular basis is hard.

Also, Rocksmith is actually a pretty good software. It is nowhere comparable to Guitar Hero. It just adds some gaming bells and whistles to what is otherwise a pretty good practice tool.

Last edited:
Had to google Kaceytron.

Those are some big titties, but I'm otherwise unimpressed.

He's definitely generating his income through donations. With average numbers under 150-200 viewers watching, there's no way he could monetize his twitch stream through subscribers. If the kid is pulling in a couple hundred a night he is doing real well.

The one guy I saw on Twitch with an Axe FX played his own material, was undoubtedly a better guitarist, but only had 10 viewers and little to no donations. There's a lot more to being an entertaining performer than just raw talent.

He's definitely entertaining, I never said he wasn't. But again, proving that success in "music" requires only so much talent. The rest is pulling emotion from the viewers. He boasts that he can play over 14,000 songs (the Rocksmith Database) and people are always amazed when he "fully nails" songs he's never played before.

When there is a fast passage like in an Yngwie or Petrucci song, he just waves his left hand back and forth quickly, obviously not playing any notes at all. But you hear the audio from the song and not his guitar and everyone in chat goes "OMG HES SO GOOD!!!!"

Smoke. Mirrors. Money. :) it's just fascinating to me. In fact, yesterday he apologized for a song that had the recorded guitars so quiet that you could hear his guitar... Wtf.

I'd be interested in hearing what the guy sounds like without the game in the background.

speaking completely objectively, it isn't very good. i'm worried that the next generation of musicians can't play anything without a computer showing them where to put their fingers.

Last edited:
Smoke. Mirrors. Money. :) it's just fascinating to me.
That's what entertainment is about. No different than lip-synced pop stars to me; and at least this guy can not trick the game score with low volume audio. So at least he has to play accurate for the majority of the song to score high percentages.

speaking completely objectively, it isn't very good. i'm worried that the next generation of musicians can't play anything without a computer showing them where to put their fingers.
I got to say... I like how song learning in Rocksmith works. The workflow is intuitive, the practice method is unique (and much different from learning via a tab), the visualisation works great when you got used to it (it takes advantage of 3D visuals over the classic 2D tabs) and the best part is: you never have to stop playing while practicing to rewind or anything.

Rocksmith is a great practice tool, albeit it has some obvious drawbacks. But at the end of the day, you will learn how to play that song. It's not for everyone, that's for sure (it takes a long time to get used to the 3D tabs when you're used to 2D), but it's in no way something that will destroy guitar culture.
If anything, it just makes practicing more fun. And that's a good thing in my book.

Not sure there's a clear understanding of Rocksmith here. I have the game and it's pretty accurate. If you don't play the right notes in the right time and in the right way you won't light up the screen the way the guy in the video does. The timing of the notes coming at you on the track are precise to the actual song including individual note leads, chords, bends .... I watched the Eruption one on there and, knowing the how the game works, I'd say the guy can play it pretty well. There's no smoke and mirrors there. Having spent some time on it, I'd say if you can play a song well on Rocksmith at full game speed without the game showing that you made mistakes, then you can play the song well period. It's not fake like guitar hero.

This game is not really any different than learning from tab, or music notation. It's just a different medium - one that uses a system of colours and movement instead of notation. When I play Rocksmith I plug my guitar into the AxeFx and also run the dry guitar tone to Rocksmith so I can play the game while at the same time hearing awesome Fractal goodness (the timings a bit weird though since the game has latency).

Every time I see something like this I kick myself for not doing it first.
This. So fucking much. I always see guys on twitch or youtube making money with what they do and say to myself "wow, you could have done that aswell..." ... and then I wonder why I didn't do it. Youtube, Twitch, Kickstarter... all those nice platforms which can help a loser to become a millionaire. It's just about getting creative and being the first one to do something new.

FYI I discovered this because I'm researching twitch as a platform for my live tutorials. So I don't want any dumb reactions when I'm streaming there soon haha.

Back
Top Bottom