Guitar is more stable sitting down

Dave Merrill

Axe-Master
The ergonomics of the Axe have had me sitting down a lot to play. I was standing up yesterday, for the first time in a while, and noticed that the guitar moves around on my body a lot more. I've been working some on using smaller right hand motions, and that instability is unhelpful in that regard.

Has anyone noticed that? Any mitigation approaches? I'm mostly playing strat-like guitars, if that matters.

A short strap with a good grip over the shoulder is a fix but not very "rock and roll."
A steeper angle also helps a bit. It's a problem, there is one song on Surfing with the Alien that Satch can't play stood up, Crushing Day.

Thanks for the ideas.

My strap is a little shorter than most, not super high though, might be worth a try.

By steeper angle, you mean neck higher right? Again I think I might have it a little higher than many, can check it out.

Don't go Slash low unless your willing to trash your playing ( or learn to play with your wrist in a terrible position.)
Exactly! But he's a good example of having the neck angled up quite a bit. I checked out the Satch song live. Simply hilarious that he sits down halfway through the song, and then gets applause when he stands up again!

I just recently started playing standing up, after learning to play/playing in a seated position the first 13 years. I tried to play standing up a few times, but found it hard to see the fret board, but now I find I don't need to look at the fret board as much and I find standing, much, much easier. It's more comfortable and it's easier to get into the 'groove' of the song. I could never play sitting for very long because it would kill my right shoulder and I never found a comfortable way to hold the guitar on my lap. I also found it hard to keep it from moving around or slipping. Tried using a strap while sitting but found that awkward as well.

I would say the Strat is the most comfortable guitar to play standing up, followed my Les Paul's, although I can't play my 87 for too long at one time, it weighs in at just over 10 pounds, but sounds awesome. Tele is also very comfortable to play. Explorer, with the strap button on the back tends to lean forward, but other than that, very comfortable to play. The hardest guitar to play, that I have, is my 12 string Rick. I have thick fingers, so there's not a lot of room for them with 12 strings. Picking is tough too, takes some getting used to before you learn not to trip on all the strings. The neck is very different as well, not much of a radius to it, which makes it hard to see the frets and it's narrow.

I agree about finding a strap with a good grip! Keeps the guitar from moving around. All my Straps are Levy straps...top quality straps...great looking, comfortable and affordable.

I use this strap with my strat, super grippy, and a Couch strap with my AT, not quite as grippy but not bad. I always use a strap, sitting or standing.

Back in high school, I did sit down at gigs - played an L5, no strap button until I put one on later. And I did a tiny bit of classical back then too, sat down of course. But in my main gigging years, I stood up always, even practising at home, and never felt like it was a problem. Not sure what's different now, probably just my brain.

The best advice here is to wear your guitar with the strap on always, and adjust the strap so that the guitar hangs from the strap while sitting or standing.

If you watch videos of Guthrie Govan performing you'll notice that his guitar is like a literal extension of his right arm. He's commented on that before... He's uses his right arm to keep the guitar where he wants it.

I use this strap with my strat, super grippy, and a Couch strap with my AT, not quite as grippy but not bad. I always use a strap, sitting or standing.

Back in high school, I did sit down at gigs - played an L5, no strap button until I put one on later. And I did a tiny bit of classical back then too, sat down of course. But in my main gigging years, I stood up always, even practising at home, and never felt like it was a problem. Not sure what's different now, probably just my brain.
These straps are very comfortable and don't really slip, at least for me. Been using them for a long time:

https://comfortstrapp.com/

I like the PRS leather ones, about 2" wide. The guitar stays put and the strap doesn't slip.
My old time favorites are Music Man brand from the mid 1980's. Love them. About 3" wide, soft leather, grippy on the back side.
I can't find those anymore. But I got 3 of them!

The best advice here is to wear your guitar with the strap on always, and adjust the strap so that the guitar hangs from the strap while sitting or standing.
This. That way it won't slide off your lap or fall over when you take your hands off to dial in your AxeFx or do something on the computer ;-)

I don't see anything about what that's made of. I've been vegetarian for well over 50 years, avoid leather when I can, which is pretty much always except for running/walking shoes. Is there anything in the lit that comes with it about that?
It's made out of neoprene, I think.

It's thick with a bit of stretch.

The main part of the strap is the neoprene material. The ends are typical nylon strap material with a leather-like material where the strap buttons go. I don't know if that is actually leather or not.

I bet you could email them to find out.

Definitely the most comfortable strap I have ever used.

So long as you're comfortable, you're fine.

Higher guitars can be very rock n roll - see Propaghandi

Back
Top Bottom