Guitar Instrumentals?

What camp was that one? What a great lineup!

I've been to The G4 Experience in 2015 and Vai Academy 4.0 and 5.0. Andy Timmons was such a pleasure to meet and set up close and personal. He became my new standard for guitar tone after that.

I was planning to attend Petrucci camp in 2020 with Andy Wood, Matteus Asato and a few others but it was postponed due to COVID...

It wasn't a Dreamcatcher one...the Woodshed Guitar Experience:
http://woodshedguitarexperience.com/

Maybe 40-50 people overall, definitely a unicorn of an event in this past year. Got to see Chuck there, which was nice :)

Likewise with the Gilbert camp for me, hopefully that still runs this year, although I don't know what it'll look like. Aside from temperature checks and serving food rather than buffet style, the Andy Wood camp left it up to everyone to do whatever they felt they needed to, which for most of us was basically nothing, artists included.

On topic, speaking of Gilbert and instrumentals...Fuzz Universe is a great album, and his latest Behold Electric Guitar is fun as well, especially live where he turns it into almost a storytellers kinda session.

Aside from Satch, Vai, EJ, Holdsworth, Jeff Beck...

Alex Machacek - [sic], F.A.T.
Allen Hinds - Fly South, Monkeys and Slides
Andy Timmons - Theme From a Perfect World
Andy Wood - Junktown
The Aristocrats - everything!
Blues Saraceno - Never Look Back
Consider the Source - Are You Watching
Dixie Dregs - everything!
Forq - everything!
Greg Koch - Strat's Got Your Tongue, Radio Free Gristle
Guthrie Govan - Erotic Cakes
Jim Weider / Project Percolator - Percolator, Pulse
Lari Basilio - Far More, The Sound of my Room
@Larry Mitchell - The Traveler, Rhythm of Life
Mark Lettieri - everything!
Mattias IA Eklundh - everything!
Michael Lee Firkins - Michael Lee Firkins
Nick Johnston - Remarkably Human
Pete Thorn - Guitar Nerd
Plini - everything!
Richie Kotzen - Electric Joy
Scott Henderson - Vibe Station, People Mover
Sonny Landreth - Elemental Journey, others (not all instrumental)
Steffen Schackinger - Fire Dance
That’s a very extensive and well done list
I have a lot of ones to add but I don’t want to right now lol
Yours was enough to start anyway

if you don’t wander down the MVP rabbit hole and shrapnel lineup after that list on your own volition, you had enough lol!

It wasn't a Dreamcatcher one...the Woodshed Guitar Experience:
http://woodshedguitarexperience.com/

Maybe 40-50 people overall, definitely a unicorn of an event in this past year. Got to see Chuck there, which was nice :)

Likewise with the Gilbert camp for me, hopefully that still runs this year, although I don't know what it'll look like. Aside from temperature checks and serving food rather than buffet style, the Andy Wood camp left it up to everyone to do whatever they felt they needed to, which for most of us was basically nothing, artists included.

On topic, speaking of Gilbert and instrumentals...Fuzz Universe is a great album, and his latest Behold Electric Guitar is fun as well, especially live where he turns it into almost a storytellers kinda session.
Nice. I'll look into that one.

I also heard Aristocamp is cool but a little short...

I also thought about the Mattias Eklundh Freak Guitar Camp but it's a long, long flight... But I think it's pretty small - like 15-20 people.

I have Fuzz Universe and I like Paul Gilbert as a person but for what reason I just don't connect much with his music... Not sure why,

That’s a very extensive and well done list
I have a lot of ones to add but I don’t want to right now lol
Yours was enough to start anyway

if you don’t wander down the MVP rabbit hole and shrapnel lineup after that list on your own volition, you had enough lol!
I just started scrolling thru my iPhone music catalog! ;)

I’ve been digging Opal Ocean. Creative rhythms and guitar percussion.

Apparently one cactus REALLY likes this song.

Aside from Satch, Vai, EJ, Holdsworth, Jeff Beck...

Alex Machacek - [sic], F.A.T.
Allen Hinds - Fly South, Monkeys and Slides
Andy Timmons - Theme From a Perfect World
Andy Wood - Junktown
The Aristocrats - everything!
Blues Saraceno - Never Look Back
Consider the Source - Are You Watching
Dixie Dregs - everything!
Forq - everything!
Greg Koch - Strat's Got Your Tongue, Radio Free Gristle
Guthrie Govan - Erotic Cakes
Jim Weider / Project Percolator - Percolator, Pulse
Lari Basilio - Far More, The Sound of my Room
@Larry Mitchell - The Traveler, Rhythm of Life
Mark Lettieri - everything!
Mattias IA Eklundh - everything!
Michael Lee Firkins - Michael Lee Firkins
Nick Johnston - Remarkably Human
Pete Thorn - Guitar Nerd
Plini - everything!
Richie Kotzen - Electric Joy
Scott Henderson - Vibe Station, People Mover
Sonny Landreth - Elemental Journey, others (not all instrumental)
Steffen Schackinger - Fire Dance
+1 to @unix-guy list. Some of it I don't know but based on his excellent taste, I will have to go back and check out. I would add
-Anything by Tommy Emmanuel
  • Vinman's Brew by Vinnie Moore
  • I'm Alright by Neil Zaza

And Andy Timmons plays Sgt Pepper may be the greatest example of instrumental interpretation FWIW

MM

Oh man Frank Marino is a phenomenal musician
I’ve seen him multiple times in the seventies up in Detroit and got to see him and Ted Nugent trade licks absolutely awesome.

Back in the day here we had a little club called the Breakers in St Andrew’s the band at the time that was playing introduced a friend from Canada and it was Frank Marino, I was absolutely blown away I think I was the only one who new who he was.
Wow that was a blast from the past.
I agree. Marino is insanely gifted yet almost unknown. His pentatonic/blues lines are phenomenal 👌

He played guitar on James Labries’s album. Check his albums out! His style is a mix of Timmons and Petrucci.
Man I love both of those guys! Sounds good to me

I guess ill just throw two names I didn't see:Did anyone mention Greg Howe? He is pretty fantastic, besides Tony Macalpine, one of the few black shredder prodigies in the guitar metal world! Shawn Lane, he was arguably the fastest shredder, but more fusion metal than anything. He's on the speed level of the great Italian line of Shredders (sort of like Gambale, but where Frank was sort of the bridge between metal and fusion, with a heavy lean towards the fusion side, Lane is similar in that respect, melodic but his speed and technique inspired and really compelled the metal guitar world to up their chops)

I’ve been digging Opal Ocean. Creative rhythms and guitar percussion.

Apparently one cactus REALLY likes this song.

Wow those guys are really awesome I do not believe I have ever really heard them before. But I will definitely check them out now those guys are awesome. :)

There are so many incredibly talented musicians in the world.

It is so disheartening that the music industry fails so miserably at promoting those who create great art.

I recently watched a home video of Robert Fripp. A fan asked him how he was dealing with the craziness of the lockdown and the world shuttting down. He said lockdown was easy compared to a a lifetime dealing with the music industry,which is truly crazy.

This says a lot.

Just got done listening to one of my go-to instrumental guitar albums and thought of this thread.
Kenny Burrell - Midnight Blue

Back
Top Bottom