Guitar Instrumentals?

Thank you for the nice words about my music and playing.

I take pride in writing music and the solos are always the cherry on top :)

I have always had a knack for writing melodic solos... And as I've gotten older and my tastes have "matured" that has become a big focal point for me.

I am really firmly in the Randy Rhoads camp of a solo being a "song within a song".

Back many years ago in my previous hair metal band, during rehearsal I broke a string mid-solo. I was playing a Charvel with a Floyd Rose so I just stopped playing. The other members of the band all spontaneously started singing my guitar solo! That's an important milestone for making me recognize the power of a good solo - especially being melodic and memorable. :D

Many of the earlier songs had solos that I crafted and refined/revised over a period of days/weeks until I was happy. Most of the later stuff is off the cuff playing that we comped together in the studio. I prefer the latter method as I think capturing your playing in the moment has a better chance of getting some "magic".

One thing I know for certain is that I have my own style. I have a lot of influences but I suck at copying other players! Also I spent a lot of years avoiding blues-based stuff (I wish I hadn't now) because I didn't want to get stuck in that style... Also spent much time playing in major modes rather than minor where most rock guys live.

Anyway, I'm grateful for your compliments and glad I can help provide some relief from your tinnitus.

Hopefully once lockdown is over my new instrumental project will get some stuff wrapped up and you can add that to the list :)
Is this the music if yours that you and others are talking about?
http://toomuchfiction.com/

I really should check it out.
Or something else?

There are a lot of standards out there, maybe easiest to match them to what floats your boat. Some of my favorite guitar music has vocals in it, such as most anything David Gilmour. My earliest guitar music influence was the Jeff Beck album Blow By Blow, which I still listen to now. Some of the Santana tunes like Revelation, Europa, Samba Pa Ti, and the like inspire me. SRV and older ZZ Top is ingrained in my Texas spirit.

As you can see, I’m more a feel guy than a technique hound. Most of the players that move me are as impressive for space without notes, and the particular note selection, as for any barrage of jaw dropping virtuosity. I love that too, but it’s the mindscape painters that get and hold my attention.

There are a lot of standards out there, maybe easiest to match them to what floats your boat. Some of my favorite guitar music has vocals in it, such as most anything David Gilmour. My earliest guitar music influence was the Jeff Beck album Blow By Blow, which I still listen to now. Some of the Santana tunes like Revelation, Europa, Samba Pa Ti, and the like inspire me. SRV and older ZZ Top is ingrained in my Texas spirit.

As you can see, I’m more a feel guy than a technique hound. Most of the players that move me are as impressive for space without notes, and the particular note selection, as for any barrage of jaw dropping virtuosity. I love that too, but it’s the mindscape painters that get and hold my attention.
I had an old guitar teacher who used to tell me..."Until you learn some old ZZ top (Waiting for the Bus, Just Got Paid, La Grange), you're not a true guitarist. Hahaha.

Aside from Satch, Vai, EJ, Holdsworth, Jeff Beck...

Alex Machacek - [sic], F.A.T.
Allen Hinds - Fly South, Monkeys and Slides
Andy Timmons - Theme From a Perfect World
Andy Wood - Junktown
The Aristocrats - everything!
Blues Saraceno - Never Look Back
Consider the Source - Are You Watching
Dixie Dregs - everything!
Forq - everything!
Greg Koch - Strat's Got Your Tongue, Radio Free Gristle
Guthrie Govan - Erotic Cakes
Jim Weider / Project Percolator - Percolator, Pulse
Lari Basilio - Far More, The Sound of my Room
@Larry Mitchell - The Traveler, Rhythm of Life
Mark Lettieri - everything!
Mattias IA Eklundh - everything!
Michael Lee Firkins - Michael Lee Firkins
Nick Johnston - Remarkably Human
Pete Thorn - Guitar Nerd
Plini - everything!
Richie Kotzen - Electric Joy
Scott Henderson - Vibe Station, People Mover
Sonny Landreth - Elemental Journey, others (not all instrumental)
Steffen Schackinger - Fire Dance

I know just about everything on this list...Steffen Schackinger / Fire Dance is way cool.

You would've totally enjoyed the guitar camp I was at in August...(L to R, Mark Lettieri, Andy Timmons, Joe Bonamassa, Andy Wood, Brent Mason, Greg Koch)
118344450_10102234057003899_8711127472708472175_n.jpg

Sitting in a small group watching Andy Timmons do his solo version of Bohemian Rhapsody was epic for sure. And I got to play Joe's '59 Paul through his Dumble. Nothing like playing someone else's quarter-million-dollars worth of gear while they're watching you, heh...

If you haven't already, check out Andy Wood "The Truth" and "A Lie". The guy is a fantastic guitarist but he'll be the first to tell you he's a mandolin player foremost. Those are acoustic and electric renditions of the same song :)

I'll check out some of your stuff as well!

I would also suggest Cosmosquad - Morbid Tango and Acid Test. Jeff Kollman is killer!

Travis Larson Band as well, very Steve Morse sounding. "Anicca" and "Shift" are good starting points. Travis is a really cool dude and the whole band is a great hang.

Last edited:
Frank Marino

And of course Danny Gatton

Oh man Frank Marino is a phenomenal musician
I’ve seen him multiple times in the seventies up in Detroit and got to see him and Ted Nugent trade licks absolutely awesome.

Back in the day here we had a little club called the Breakers in St Andrew’s the band at the time that was playing introduced a friend from Canada and it was Frank Marino, I was absolutely blown away I think I was the only one who new who he was.
Wow that was a blast from the past.

I know just about everything on this list...Steffen Schackinger / Fire Dance is way cool.

You would've totally enjoyed the guitar camp I was at in August...(L to R, Mark Lettieri, Andy Timmons, Joe Bonamassa, Andy Wood, Brent Mason, Greg Koch)
View attachment 79645

Sitting in a small group watching Andy Timmons do his solo version of Bohemian Rhapsody was epic for sure. And I got to play Joe's '59 Paul through his Dumble. Nothing like playing someone else's quarter-million-dollars worth of gear while they're watching you, heh...

If you haven't already, check out Andy Wood "The Truth" and "A Lie". The guy is a fantastic guitarist but he'll be the first to tell you he's a mandolin player foremost. Those are acoustic and electric renditions of the same song :)

I'll check out some of your stuff as well!
What camp was that one? What a great lineup!

I've been to The G4 Experience in 2015 and Vai Academy 4.0 and 5.0. Andy Timmons was such a pleasure to meet and set up close and personal. He became my new standard for guitar tone after that.

I was planning to attend Petrucci camp in 2020 with Andy Wood, Matteus Asato and a few others but it was postponed due to COVID...
I would also suggest Cosmosquad - Morbid Tango and Acid Test. Jeff Kollman is killer!

Travis Larson Band as well, very Steve Morse sounding. "Anicca" and "Shift" are good starting points. Travis is a really cool dude and the whole band is a great hang.
Saw Travis Larson Band open for The Aristocrats on the opening show of their last tour (Sacramento, CA). Enjoyed it a lot.

Back
Top Bottom