Guitar Goals for the Year 2022

This is going to sound really stupid.

I want to get better at playing when I record myself. Either video or audio.

I gotta say that I'm pretty happy with where my playing itself actually is. I am always looking to improve, but I like the sound of what I play. That being said, as soon as I hit "record" I can't play worth a damn. My fingers turn to jelly and nothing sounds good to me. Even when I can string some playing together, it sounds uninspiring and flat. I wish I could capture what I sound like when I'm just practicing and noodling around. What's even more frustrating is that I made part of my living with public speaking years ago. I gave talks to hundreds in an audience without batting an eyelash. I also gigged and played music publicly in the past. Easily, with no issues at all. But put a camera in front of me or press record in a DAW, and it sounds like a toddler smashing the strings of a guitar. To me at least. I hate it.

I think one of the best things we can do for our playing is to record ourselves. I have gotten into the
practice of recording everything I play. Have done this for over a decade now. I have thousands of
hours of trash memorialized for just me. :)

That old saying "The tape never lies" is so true. It can be harsh, very humbling, and inspiring to listen
back and get a better sense (because we are not actively playing) of where we shine and where we maybe
suck.

I bet if you do it for just you, Ron, and get used to the act of doing so then it will just get easier and easier.

Good thread. I want to focus more on practicing and writing songs and less on acquiring things/gear. The struggle is real. Learn to use what I have more effectively vs adding more gadgets

It's my big 4-0 this year and despite my wife insisting, I bought so much stuff during lockdown (+house last year), I decided I'm not buying any new guitars this year.

I'm gonna focus entirely on tunes. Need to finish learning Fuzz Universe and Argument About Pie (both by Paul Gilbert). I also want to learn more Jazz standards. I've gotten really comfy playing and improvising over Autumn Leaves and Fly Me to the Moon, but those are the only 2 I know.

Also, I don't post enough on these forums. I want to start contributing more.
Fuzz Universe. Yes, great song.

I need to make peace with the fact I have lots of gear I'll most likely never use again, and get rid of it.
Continue improving my technique, and get together with real musicians to experience the fun of playing again, and see if the presets I'm using sound as good as I think they do, in a band setting.
Build my speakers for the Celestion FX200's I bought.

I think one of the best things we can do for our playing is to record ourselves. I have gotten into the
practice of recording everything I play. Have done this for over a decade now. I have thousands of

That old saying "The tape never lies" is so true. It can be harsh, very humbling, and inspiring to listen
back and get a better sense (because we are not actively playing) of where we shine and where we maybe
suck.

I bet if you do it for just you, Ron, and get used to the act of doing so then it will just get easier and easier.
That is really great advice. Thank you.

Most of the time, when I've recording myself, it's been for a purpose. I think you're spot on, though. I should just record to record. Not even think about it. Thanks again.

Yes! That's it exactly, Ron. Take the pressure away and make it enjoyable.... because it is!! :)

Maybe I am a little self-absorbed, but I listen to stuff I have recorded at least an hour or two a
day. Sometimes just in the background. It's also fun capturing a timeline and going back and
listening to old stuff, and then hearing what has been gained or lost along the way. :)

Enjoy!!

suck.

That's a fantastic suggestion! You are so right about the things it can show you.
And for those who gig, video can also be a great tool, to show you looking cool, or looking like a fool. :tearsofjoy:

Since my previous post here I've discovered some excellent Marshall types of amps. Back in my youth (70's) Marshall amps were just the bread and butter of amps here for me in the UK. If you did not have a Marshall you probably would have had a Vox AC30 or similar. But anyway, back then (70's/early 80's), I dont honestly think I achieved any tones that I was proud of with my Marshalls. Because of this, Marshalls did not hit the spot particually for me with my AX8. However, I'm now really enjoying the Slash type of amp along with the Marshall pre amp thing. lol. Technical names I'm sure. lol.
As much as I hate Facebook, I have just arranged a deal on there that will see me being the new owner of a 2003 Les Paul Standard next Tuesday. Time I think to stick some Gary Moore on the sound system and get practising some tunes.
2022, practise, practise and practise until my fingers are sore!
Rock on people!

Back
Top Bottom