Guitar Fall - Emotional?

Yep.

About 20 years ago I threw my JEM into it’s case, being a complete baby. Headstock snapped halfway off and I brought it to my friend’s house, literally crying. I was doing a lot of drugs at the time, which is 100% what caused the temper tantrum and the tears.

Drugs are bad, mmkay?

Aside from that, my guitars get beat to shit anyway, I don’t care about that stuff at all. Not as much these days as I’m just in my studio, but when I was playing live, they’d get beat pretty hard. The JEM is all better now, aside from the moron who I paid to re-fret it loosened the truss rod so much that it took myself and another tech pulling at the headstock to give us some room to fit the truss rod adjustment tool over the nut in the space.

A couple years ago I heard a big crash come from my office/studio...just as the cat went scurrying out of it at lightning speed. I go in to find this...
IMG_5715.JPG
Bootsy, being a typical kitty seeking higher and higher levels of places to hang out, climbed up that stack of stuff at the top of the pic. In the process he sent the bass case toppling over, which knocked over the music stand full of heavy books, which knocked over the Alex Lifeson signature Les Paul. It's one of two I own, this is the one I stopped taking out live so I could keep it pristine. Oh well. Amazingly, the only injury was a gash on the back of the neck from the edge of the music stand, you can see it in the pic. I put it away in its case and haven't taken it out since. It hurts, but I can't be mad at the kitty. He's lucky he's so cute.

My other Lifeson LP fell over on its face too, at a gig during a soundcheck. It was on one of those headstock-hanging stands where you're supposed to tighten the nut underneath so the legs don't collapse. This is how I learned about that. I was setting up my other gear when I heard the crash and saw it laying face down, no one else is near. Nobody's fault but mine and maybe the backline guy who supplied the unfamiliar guitar stands... but I could not find any damage to the guitar, it wasn't even out of tune. Big whew on that one.

#1 is back - good as new :):) - thanks all for supportive comments

View attachment 71373
Nice!
After finding a good luthier, I never worry about fixing issues in playability (like a nut). A good tech is invaluable.

I'll share one of my horror stories.
My original band - and in this band, I was just the singer.
My guitar player was a monster player, amazing talent.
We are playing our first big festival show - us, Tommy Lee, Puddle of Mudd and Static X (this was early 2000's).
We are about to go on, and his Les Paul gets wind blown off it's stand (on the stage) and SNAP - head stock break.
I had a LP standard I brought as a back up for him. I pulled it out of the case, we tuned it down to Drop C (with a set of 10s on it).
I said - he man, I haven't changed those strings in like 2 years, just an FYI. And then the stage manager says - ok, you're on in 30 seconds. Let's go!!

Gig went perfect because he was a pro player.

Back
Top Bottom