Guitar Dedicated to Slide

deakle

Experienced
I know I will get a myriad of answers, but I am looking for a guitar to set up specifically for slide (higher action, heavy gauge strings, flat radius, etc.) and was wondering what the forumites opinions were for a good slide guitar. Currently, I am looking at Gibson SG (humbuckers), Gibson Firebird, and Fender Telecaster. But maybe someone has experience with something else? I would be interested in ideas from everyone and especially those who currently own/play something they are recommending. Thanks in advance for the help!

I'm not a slide player - I really suck at it!

But I am a big fan of guys like Sonny Landreth, Dwayne Allman, Derek Trucks, Allen Hinds, etc.

I think a lot probably depends on what style / tone you're going after.

I know I will get a myriad of answers, but I am looking for a guitar to set up specifically for slide (higher action, heavy gauge strings, flat radius, etc.) and was wondering what the forumites opinions were for a good slide guitar. Currently, I am looking at Gibson SG (humbuckers), Gibson Firebird, and Fender Telecaster. But maybe someone has experience with something else? I would be interested in ideas from everyone and especially those who currently own/play something they are recommending. Thanks in advance for the help!

I'd go Gibson SG or Firebird. The shorter scale works better for me. Worked for Duane and Johnny right?

Going with a guitar with as much of the neck exposed seems the way to go. My old Messenger would have been great. The entire neck was clear of the body. But then, it was neck heavy as hell.

As long as you set it up right and choose a hardtail bridge, there's not really a bad guitar for slide. I'd choose a tele with a humbucker in the neck.

Back
Top Bottom