Guitar / Computer Chair?

I first had mesh chair, but due to armrest it use to get uncomfortable, then I use to sit on my bed and play. Later, my brother asked me to have a peek at this website for stools and I got one bar stool as they are high and don't have an armrest. It gives my back proper support and I can play easily sitting on it for long time.

How times have changed. In the eighties when I started playing the guitar my last concern would have been my computer chair !
Some Interesting tips here BTW

I play in Fripp position on a chair, with the guitar neck at the same angle as when I pin my fretting hand arm's elbow to my sides and raise my forearm up.

That natural angle is where your guitar neck "should" be angled according to his treatise on ergonomics.

By doing that playing positioning, with my height, I have no problem playing in my vintage 1930's mission styled arm chair. I rescued it from someone's garage and restored it a few years ago. In fact chairs with arms or not really doesn't give me a problem unless the chair arms are positioned very close to my body.

Playing with the guitar positioned at that angle sitting or standing eliminated my carpal tunnel symptoms, but I look like a nerd with my guitar or bass strapped that high. But I don't care about looks, I only care about playing.

Playing with the guitar positioned at that angle sitting or standing eliminated my carpal tunnel symptoms, but I look like a nerd with my guitar or bass strapped that high. But I don't care about looks, I only care about playing.

Same here. I'd rather look like a nerd and still be able to play when I'm 60. Nerve damage is bad news.

I've been using this one from Staples for a few years now. Flip the arms back when playing guitar. Bring them back down for mixing or general computer use.

http://www.staples.com/Staples-Torrent-Bonded-Leather-Managers-Chair-Black/product_923571

I believe I have this same chair in my studio. I almost spent a lot of money on one , but bought this instead. Love it.
When the arms fold up , I found they didn't go up quite as far as I need for playing my guitar , so I popped the cap off the side of the pivet on the RIGHT arm. There is a groove in the plastic , which determines the amount of travel. I got a drill bit , the same size as the slot , and lengthened it by a hole , then used the bit to connect it by reaming the side. Now the left arm swings up past the backrest. ( 3 years ago , I think ).

Last edited:
So I'm a fat guy...

I tried every chair out there... even a big and tall chair rated for 100lbs more than me... (I knew it wouldn't last- got the 3 year extended warranty- the wheels broke off in 2 months)

So... not that I have chronic back issues or anything but sitting in a studio chair sucks for long periods of time-

I didn't have much money at the time- but it cost me a lot of money and time because my studio wasn't ergonomic enough to put in the time I needed to work in it.

I found a used dealer and got a fully loaded Herman Miller Aeron for $350 (keep in mind you can make a $500 aeron or a $1500 one- arm rests and all sorts of bells and whistles can really get these up there).

It was A LOT of money at the time and still is now- but it's well worth it.

I picked up at auctions 3 more Aeron's for the house- for much much much less than I paid for the first one

I have some better stuff now- but for a while i'd joke that the chair was the most expensive thing in my studio

But I can't live or work without them.

It really pays for itself

So I'm a fat guy...

I tried every chair out there... even a big and tall chair rated for 100lbs more than me... (I knew it wouldn't last- got the 3 year extended warranty- the wheels broke off in 2 months)

So... not that I have chronic back issues or anything but sitting in a studio chair sucks for long periods of time-

I didn't have much money at the time- but it cost me a lot of money and time because my studio wasn't ergonomic enough to put in the time I needed to work in it.

I found a used dealer and got a fully loaded Herman Miller Aeron for $350 (keep in mind you can make a $500 aeron or a $1500 one- arm rests and all sorts of bells and whistles can really get these up there).

It was A LOT of money at the time and still is now- but it's well worth it.

I picked up at auctions 3 more Aeron's for the house- for much much much less than I paid for the first one

I have some better stuff now- but for a while i'd joke that the chair was the most expensive thing in my studio

But I can't live or work without them.

It really pays for itself

Herman Miller was the expensive chair I was considering , in my earlier post. My staples chair has been good for me. ( but I'm 210 lbs - with chiseled abs)
.... Kidding. It's been a few years since I've seen my abs. I am 210 lbs though.

search amazon for a drafting chair. Most have swing away armrests...can go very tall...and have the footrest ring which is crucial for playing IMO.

Im looking to get a new chair to replace this torture device of an office chair that Im sat on.But im a bit of a tight. Has anyone got any good suggestions for a chair?

Im looking to get a new chair to replace this torture device of an office chair that Im sat on.But im a bit of a tight. Has anyone got any good suggestions for a chair?

I ended up going with a leather one with swing away arms from staples and I've been very happy with it. Definitely stay away from the fake leather ones as those will look terrible in about a year. It cost around $180 US, so that's probably above your budget. I've been seeing a lot of mesh type office chairs that I've been wanting to try (for actual office work only) but I haven't had the chance and not sure if they are affordable.

Call me old fashioned but to me real guitar players do it standing up. Doesn't matter where or how I sit, I play best standing on my feet. In my last band I really hated it when the singer always sat on a couch during rehearsal. How can you give an outstanding live show if you always sit down during rehearsals?

Back
Top Bottom