Guitar Cases with plastic latches and handles?

darrenw5094

Certified Bug Hunter
Are the companies saving some green by using plastic handles and latches on their guitar Cases? SKB, EVH, Ibanez and Fender moulded cases all have them. I'm not sure how long they would last if you were gigging every weekend and threw the case in the van.

I've just noticed too, that the retail on cases in the US is way higher than here in Europe (thomann).

all those plastic cases Save time in manufacturing and labor cost, maybe not your guitar, or your wallet. they are however easier on your back.

Fender and EVH are the same company, right?

I think SKB may make the Ibanez cases.

I have at least 10 hard cases dating back to 1987 (Ibanez "chainsaw"). All of them have hard plastic handles ... None are broken.

The most recent cases I have are SKB TSA cases which have a bit of rubber on the "grip". One is a Charvel case by SKB that is just slightly different.

Edit:

Charvel is also a Fender company ;)

Fender and EVH are the same company, right?

I think SKB may make the Ibanez cases.

I have at least 10 hard cases dating back to 1987 (Ibanez "chainsaw"). All of them have hard plastic handles ... None are broken.

The most recent cases I have are SKB TSA cases which have a bit of rubber on the "grip". One is a Charvel case by SKB that is just slightly different.
Yeah, probably the same company at this stage, but there is no Fender case that looks like the evh case.

I just got 2 SKB FS6 for my 2 Suhr Strats (€2900 and no hardcase) and the latches feel very lightweight. The handle is rubberised alright.

Fender, Squier, EVH, Gretsch, Guild, Charvel, Jackson, Bigsby, Sunn, SWR, Tacoma, and several other brands are all owned by FMIC.

Yeah, probably the same company at this stage, but there is no Fender case that looks like the evh case.

I just got 2 SKB FS6 for my 2 Suhr Strats (€2900 and no hardcase) and the latches feel very lightweight. The handle is rubberised alright.
Mine are the SKB-66. I like them overall.

I believe Gator makes some guitar cases with metal latches still. Handles are still probably some form of rubberized plastic though.

Back
Top Bottom