Guitar cable lengths?

dbun

Experienced
Just wondering what guitar cable lengths you guys use back to your AFX?

I'm currently using 25ft, but hoping to get longer MIDI cables so I can tuck the rack further away on stage. This would then mean I need longer cables, which potentially means some tone loss.

If you are running your AFX a fair distance away, are you running a long guitar lead or wireless?

If you're using passive pickups, a 25-foot cable will cause some rolling-off of your highs and and a downward shift in your guitar's voicing. Depending on your cable, it might be a little or it might be a lot, but it'll be noticeable compared to, say, a six-foot cable. If you go longer, the effect will be greater.

If you're going for a really long cable, look for the lowest-capacitance cable you can find. Shoot for 20 pF per foot. Or go wireless.

Thanks for the ideas. I have a few buffers and a Radial SGI so will explore those options.
Was hoping for something that didn't require finding a power source near my board. I like the only cable connecting to my board being the 7-pin Midi or Ethernet cable.

The longer the cable the more distributed capacitance is added and this reduces the resonant frequency of passive pickups with a roll of of highs above the resonant peak.

The lowest capacitance per unit length bulk guitar cable on the market currently is Sommer Spirit LLX which also has braided shield and handles well:

Bulk Guitar Cable Capacitance Chart

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Marc.

I always run a 25 ft. cable to my board and then another 25 ft. cable from the board to the Axe FX. I always have at least one buffered pedal on my board to account for cable length (I use a few additional pedals before the Axe). These keeps things consistent, rather than switching between shorter/longer cables.

Back
Top Bottom