guitar brands??

Hi all as a long time ibanez player I was wondering if anyone out there could recommend any other guitar brands that have a similar feel neck wise to playing an ibanez please. I think the neck is described as a wizard neck profile or something like that :)

I'd get a Vigier. The necks are thin, but don't feel thin as the D profile has a lot of shoulder to it. Nicest necks I've tried.

Many Ibanez guitars (Saber/S-series, RGs, we etc) have a Wizard neck... But many don't. Older Radius (Satriani predecessor) had what was called an Ultra neck, which is thinner but not as thin as the Wizard.

The original Wizard necks are 17mm at the 1st fret and 20mm at the 12th. I think the Ultra is 19mm and 21mm.

Nothing like a Wizard neck, IMO.

Ernie ball makes a ridiculous neck and they aren't as obscure as a lot of the other options are. Probably make the best necks and guitars outside of the custom boutiquey side of things. My jp6 retired my original wizard necked s470 and I like the neck more than my suhr and even a hair more than my custom charvel.

OLD ESP and early LTD Neck's had some similarity to the Ibanez Wizard (Pre 1999)

Now they're a little wider to me and less comfortable.

But I doubt you'd be able to find/track down one you like that is similar- I've been looking for years for another one like my original ESP guitar I used as my main guitar from the ages of 14-21.

I like the thinness but I like narrow necks-

I'm not a fan of ANY guitar brand out there today- I think they all have problems.
(on the higher end scale- my problem with those are they're not a great value for the money- good guitars but overpriced for what they are)

ANYWAY- my advice- is be more particular about the ibanez guitars you use- avoid the cheap/indonesia and keep it to the high end OLDER MIJ Prestiges. Year 2001-2003 MAX the closer to the mid 90s the better.

ALSO if you want something crazyer than the average ibanez neck
one of the jems
the black one with the philips screwdriver inlays and weird top with the pattern on it

jem7dbk has a crazy super thinner than any other ibanez guitar ever made- it's the only one with that kind of neck- and they're pretty fun. Kind of weak- so you have to make sure it's a good one but def a guitar to seek out.

Mayones Duvell
Made the shift from an Ibanez 2127z to a Duvell can't see myself going back.
Find the playability and comfort far superior to the ibanez.

I was thinking of trying to put together a Warmoth Kotzen Tele. Do you think it would sound close if I matched woods and electronics?

Yes. Fender uses readily available Dimarzio pickups, and their wood selections are very high quality. While it's not always true, I'd expect in this case for the result to be very close, if not spot-on.

I've been building Warmoth guitars for years and my customers and I have always been very pleased with the results. The only caveat I would offer is that you probably won't save much, if any, money doing it this way, and your resale value won't be as high as it is with the name brand. On the plus side, the quality will be higher, and you can customize to a greater degree. For example, for the Kotzen Tele, I would swap that neck wood for roasted Maple vs. finished, locking tuners vs. whatever they've got on there, and I'd use gold EVO frets vs. nickel-silver. Past that, that's a beautiful guitar.

Ernie Ball's have a slim neck profile. I have a Petrucci, Luke III and Morse and all are different but great.
Some Washburns are nice. I have a N4 that has a baseball bat neck but had one years ago that was super thin. I also like the PRS wide/thin profile.

jem7dbk has a crazy super thinner than any other ibanez guitar ever made- it's the only one with that kind of neck- and they're pretty fun. Kind of weak- so you have to make sure it's a good one but def a guitar to seek out.

I have had several rg's and have an rg520 that somehow ended up with the same neck profile as the 7dbk. It's my favorite neck but is starting to show fretwear (bought it new in 99-2000ish) a fret dress would fix it but would love to have stainless jumbos installed in it, but hate to risk ruining it.

Back
Top Bottom