Guitar amp FX loops --> patch bay: am I doing this right?

HerrSquid

Inspired
No Fractal content, so I apologize if this is too far off topic:

I recently stacked up all my combo amps, little heads, rack FX, and smaller speaker cabinets onto a set of shelves. Since they were all so close together, I had the harebrained idea that I'd pick up a 1U patch bay and Frankenstein 'em all together so I could route any amp to any effects unit for maximum shenanigans.

I dry-fitted stuff, thought it worked the way I wanted, hooked it all up yesterday... and it doesn't work like I thought.

It's not total failure, since the rack effects and power amp are doing what I want.

The trouble is the guitar amp effects loops.

I thought that I'd be able to plug in the amp FX loops send -> top and return -> bottom in each jack pair in the patch by, with the pair configured to half-normaled operation. The theory was that it'd operate like the loop had a cable jumping it if I had nothing plugged into the front. Then if I patched the top (FX send) to another point in the patch bay, I could tap off the FX send and put it through other FX in the patch bay.

It doesn't seem to work like that. The amps I tried yesterday (not all of them) don't make any sound aside from hum if I try playing them with nothing patched into the front of the bay. It also wasn't making any sound if I jumped the FX loop pair top-to-bottom from the front.

Does that seem right?

I freely admit I could be doing this wrong, but I'd swear it worked as I expected when I tried it out a couple of days ago.

Any tips would be welcome.

Back
Top Bottom