Guide: Re-Amping with external sound card/audio interface

Can't answer yet, but I have a similar setup only with a MOTU 828mk3 hybrid instead of Ultralite, and plan to try this reamping setup over the weekend. Will report back soon.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk
I know for a fact that it will work with the 828MK3 hybrid because I used to use one to do this. The only difference being that I had to either switch the master/slave clock status before the wordclock was changed in the AxeFXII or had to run it through a resync device like a Mutec MC4.

Should absolutely work without a problem.

Thanks for that well done sir !
Whats even more of a score for me is Im using the motu...
Thats most appreciated Shasha
Ill be spending some time with this thats good work man.
Fine work.

Well it was a hard-fought struggle but I finally figured it out. The problem was with the labeling of the inputs/outputs in Cubase and the MOTU Cue Mix settings. Great joy in Mudville now. My heartfelt thanks to Sasha for putting together his excellent guide to the whole process. If anyone with a similar setup (Ultralite/Cubase and Mac has questions I'll be glad to help.

I could really use some help. I am currently using an axe-fx II ( FW18 ), Focusrite 6i6, and Reaper. I had no problem getting the first two tracks working: dry and wet. Dry signal is coming from SPDIF which is set to pass the input from the Axe I/O.

Problem is, I cannot get the Dry track in Reaper to output via SPDIF to the Axe. I set the main input source to SPDIF/AES, play the track in reaper, but it's just not working.

reaper.jpg
6i6.JPG

The section of the mixer I circled in red on the second image is the output settings for SPDIF. I've tried everything with these. If I set them to output the SPDIF signals nothing happens, if I switch it to the analog mix, I just get noise.

Alright, figured it out! It only took me 2 hours. I'm posting it here for if anyone else has a problem routing this reamping scheme with an Axe Fx 2, Focusrite 6i6, and Reaper. <-keywords for the bros on google.

The parts I circled with red demonstrate that you have to route the output of the dry track in reaper to the corresponding DAW channel to send to SPDIF output in the 6i6 mixer.

solution.jpg

Has anyone done this with the X- 18 air?
Can this be done with USB from the Air -18's, 18 in/2 out live recording interface? As mentioned early, by adding the FX loop shunt on a D.A.W. instead of SPIDF( the air 18 doesn't have one)? I am using SONAR 3X .

You guys sure do have some complex re-amping solutions here!

Have you considered the simple approach?

http://www.radialeng.com/prormp.php

I use a reamp box with great success into my physical amp. Works perfectly. I'm sure it would work into the Axe 2 without need to sync via digital, etc.

Maybe I missed the discussion regarding that.

You guys sure do have some complex re-amping solutions here!

Have you considered the simple approach?

http://www.radialeng.com/prormp.php

I use a reamp box with great success into my physical amp. Works perfectly. I'm sure it would work into the Axe 2 without need to sync via digital, etc.

Maybe I missed the discussion regarding that.

The reason some people use SPDIF to reamp is because it's completely digital with no extra conversions and consistent every time. Orbm1's tutorial won't be 100% consistent but very close because he uses the audio interface's input and not the Axe-Fx II input. My Tutorial ( http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...tt-6i6-for-spdif-reamping.76406/#post-1316561 ) shows how to do it, so it will be 100% consistent. So what I hear out of my FRFR live rig, sounds 100% the same as my reamp recordings.

With your way and Orbm1's way, you have to adjust the recorded dry tracks level that you are sending back to the Axe-Fx II, so your gain won't be exactly the same as it is when you plug your instrument into the Axe-Fx II input. With my way, you just leave the recorded dry track at 0 but have to change some of the settings in the Axe-Fx II front panel when switching between recording the dry and reamp tracks.

There's no right way to reamp. It's all personal preference. Some people do it your way. Some people do it Orbm1's way because they don't have to make as many changes between recording the dry and reamp tracks. Some people do it my way because they want a 100% exact digital copy. What ever gets your inspirations recorded and sounding the way you want is all that matters.

The reason some people use SPDIF to reamp is because it's completely digital with no extra conversions and consistent every time. Orbm1's tutorial won't be 100% consistent but very close because he uses the audio interface's input and not the Axe-Fx II input. My Tutorial ( http://forum.fractalaudio.com/threa...tt-6i6-for-spdif-reamping.76406/#post-1316561 ) shows how to do it, so it will be 100% consistent. So what I hear out of my FRFR live rig, sounds 100% the same as my reamp recordings.

With your way and Orbm1's way, you have to adjust the recorded dry tracks level that you are sending back to the Axe-Fx II, so your gain won't be exactly the same as it is when you plug your instrument into the Axe-Fx II input. With my way, you just leave the recorded dry track at 0 but have to change some of the settings in the Axe-Fx II front panel when switching between recording the dry and reamp tracks.

There's no right way to reamp. It's all personal preference. Some people do it your way. Some people do it Orbm1's way because they don't have to make as many changes between recording the dry and reamp tracks. Some people do it my way because they want a 100% exact digital copy. What ever gets your inspirations recorded and sounding the way you want is all that matters.

Cool fair enough, makes sense! Thanks for your answer.

I posted guide as well for digital re-amping.

forum.fractalaudio.com/threads/re-amping-solution-logic-mac-all-digital-paths.106046/#post-1268412

Hello I'm new here.
Thinking of getting an axe fx sometime in the next month.
Has anyone thought about making a Aggrigate sound card device on Mac to combine the inputs and outputs from the axe fx and a audio interface.
As I don't own an axe fx yet I'm only looking at the manual and past experience in the audio realm but I imagine just making an Aggrigate sound card would be enough.

Hello I'm new here.
Thinking of getting an axe fx sometime in the next month.
Has anyone thought about making a Aggrigate sound card device on Mac to combine the inputs and outputs from the axe fx and a audio interface.
As I don't own an axe fx yet I'm only looking at the manual and past experience in the audio realm but I imagine just making an Aggrigate sound card would be enough.
I know that you can create aggregate devices and so long as you can route the signals correctly it should work. I know that you can do something similar in Windows using ASIO4All, but I had trouble with the clocks not maintaining proper sync (this was years ago, before the AxeFXII would take an external sync). I haven't revisited since.

Hey guys! I'm new to the Axe Fx II stuff, and this whole palette of recording/reamping opportunities makes my head spinning :D
I have read here that many people have issues with both SPDIF sync and ASIO4all sync. Now I am planning to buy an interface to make my life easier with adjusting levels, but I still want to go all digital except maybe directly monitoring analogue wet signal from Axe Fx via balanced line-level XLRs. I see that I can go generally two ways:
1. Record Analogue Wet (for reference) + SPDIF Dry both via interface, then send Dry back to Axe Fx via SPDIF and record reamped Wet over SPDIF as well.
2. Make an aggregate device (I'm using Windows, so via ASIO4All), then record dry/wet via Axe USB as usual, use the interface for monitoring purposes only. Then send the Dry back via USB and record reamped stuff via USB as well.
Now I know it mostly the question of preference, but maybe some of you already have experience with both of these methods?
Basically I need to decide if I'd buy Scarlett 2i4 (without SPDIF) or 6i6 (with SPDIF). Which way would be safer to go?

I'd say go for spdif.
In my experience thus far aggregate devices work but can after a while (an hour) go out of sync. You might not notice the latency until it's too late and things don't line up in your DAW.
Recording a dry signal can only be done via USB unless you hard pan a tone left or right and dry left or right in your patch. (This is the number one thing I would change about the axe fx)

For myself personally I go spdif into an audio interface then balanced TRS into my monitors.
If I record a dry signal I go USB to the axe because even though it's not perfect by any means it's the quickest safest and easiest way to record dry and wet.

On that subject ,I have a top spec iMac from the late 2013 rage with a 3.9ghz i7and when I use the axe via USB in a reasonable sized project with all the plugins turn off I find it makes my mac work a lot harder. I don't notice it in performance but I notice the fan on my mac kicking in as it doing a taxing task. Strange.

I'd say go for spdif.
In my experience thus far aggregate devices work but can after a while (an hour) go out of sync. You might not notice the latency until it's too late and things don't line up in your DAW.
Recording a dry signal can only be done via USB unless you hard pan a tone left or right and dry left or right in your patch. (This is the number one thing I would change about the axe fx)

For myself personally I go spdif into an audio interface then balanced TRS into my monitors.
If I record a dry signal I go USB to the axe because even though it's not perfect by any means it's the quickest safest and easiest way to record dry and wet.

On that subject ,I have a top spec iMac from the late 2013 rage with a 3.9ghz i7and when I use the axe via USB in a reasonable sized project with all the plugins turn off I find it makes my mac work a lot harder. I don't notice it in performance but I notice the fan on my mac kicking in as it doing a taxing task. Strange.
Thank you for the clues! One thing I don't like about recording/tracking purely over USB is that I always have to turn the USB Return Level up to 0db which makes Input1 lights turn red even on metronome, and even then sometimes I want to hear more mix during recording. So the only way to turn the guitar down is to reduce the preset level, which also reduces Wet signal level being recorded... I really would appreciate the "blend" knob on 2i4 which in direct monitoring mode would let me blend the volumes of guitar and mix the way I want without changing the sound actually being recorded.

Back
Top Bottom