Guide: Re-Amping with external sound card/audio interface

For those looking for perfect alignement, you can use this one loop of 500hz sine wave :

http://we.tl/1GyED58hfq
http://www.ahjteam.com/upload/2008/500hz_sine_for_alignment.wav

Put this wav in front of the DI-signal and use it for alignment, works like a charm.
Using SPDIF, I get an audible shift so this is very useful to align perfectly.

(wav found on Ultimatemetal.com, provided by ahjteam)

Could you, or anyone, clarify this process? I think this method would work for me but am unsure of the best way to use the sample.

Hey guys the topic is pretty intersting,

How's it actually working, possible to reamp 2 DI mono tracks panned L and R in the Axe IN Rear L/R two lines in the Grid same time, each with Amp and cab without issue? So complete seperate , I ask because of the internal modeling or should I take care of something there?

So far I record 2 lines in the Axe grid parallel, 1 processed L Mono and 1 DI R AES. When reamp I send the DI from my Interface analog back to Axe fx Rear L IN ,the re-amped processed signal AES L Recorded in Pro Tools. I mainly record guitars Mono with a simple setup in my Axe fx Grid.

Would be very great to hear from someone! :)

Might be a dumb question but is the sample rate still locked at 48 Khz? can we choose our own sample rate if the Axe clock is now slavable?

Hey guys the topic is pretty intersting,

How's it actually working, possible to reamp 2 DI mono tracks panned L and R in the Axe IN Rear L/R two lines in the Grid same time, each with Amp and cab without issue? So complete seperate , I ask because of the internal modeling or should I take care of something there?

So far I record 2 lines in the Axe grid parallel, 1 processed L Mono and 1 DI R AES. When reamp I send the DI from my Interface analog back to Axe fx Rear L IN ,the re-amped processed signal AES L Recorded in Pro Tools. I mainly record guitars Mono with a simple setup in my Axe fx Grid.

Would be very great to hear from someone! :)
I wouldn't use the analog path for sending the dry signal back to the AxeFXII, but if it works for you then it works. I'm not sure what the advantage of re-amping two tracks at once would be, but once again if it works for you then it works. :)

Might be a dumb question but is the sample rate still locked at 48 Khz? can we choose our own sample rate if the Axe clock is now slavable?
I'm pretty sure that Cliff said that we're still locked to using 48kHz.

I wouldn't use the analog path for sending the dry signal back to the AxeFXII, but if it works for you then it works. I'm not sure what the advantage of re-amping two tracks at once would be, but once again if it works for you then it works. :)
Haven't tried so far, was just a idea, hm not sure perhaps it's nice to dial in a tone while Re-amping L and R Mono Rhythm guitars for example when listen to the full mix same time.

Yes I know I already plan to avoid the AD Jitter and DI analog way, send it AES to Axe- out analog to my Preamp (if I finally have it back here) to-HD I/O by reamping. Should be the best way

I'm pretty sure that Cliff said that we're still locked to using 48kHz.

Hey Sir, I tested today reamping my DI analog balanced to Axe-fx Rear vs sending it AES, when I look on the Wave and listen the DI's A/B (Reamped the analog DI back AES)I didn't noticed any difference here at all, I stay with the Analog way.
Perhaps it's because the D/A converters are pretty awesome on the Avid HD I/O in general, as well the Axe A/D,thats why it' is relative for me in the end

I was unable to get this working to reamp 'in the mix' with my mbox2 and reaper running on pc.
So I've decided to purchase a new interface that has assignable spdif which should solve the issue.

but I'd really like to hear from others to confirm that they are able to reamp 'in the mix' (ie the whole mix playing whilst reamping) using the method described in this thread on pc before I go to the expense, I'm thinking of the lexicon io42 as the new interface.

Any input would be greatly appreciated

I've always had great results using RME products. I was using a 10 year old RME Multiface I which was rock-solid, and more recently using an RME Madi FX card. All RME interface come with a very handy tool called Totalmix FX - which is a hardware mixer that allows the user to route any signal anywhere.
Yes the rme devices are awesome but beyond my spend unfortunately. I just need something that will record a decent vocal and allow me to reamp in the mix via spdif. My other option is to just use the axe2 as my interface and run a mic pre into it for recording vocals and use asio4all driver when I want to reamp in the mix. But the separate Audio interface with spdif seems like a cleaner option. So the question is are any windows users reamping 'in the mix' via spdif?

I was able to do it through a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24DSP and a MOTU 828MKIII Hybrid. Both worked great and while the MOTU was the more expensive I really liked the Focusrite a lot and if I was buying I'd be looking at their stuff. The MOTU was nice, but not any better and the drivers took a while to sort out on their end. Focusrite has their stuff together and their preamps are nice. The control panel is a lot more intuitive for routing.

Hell it was just a better device.

I was able to do it through a Focusrite Saffire Pro 24DSP and a MOTU 828MKIII Hybrid. Both worked great and while the MOTU was the more expensive I really liked the Focusrite a lot and if I was buying I'd be looking at their stuff. The MOTU was nice, but not any better and the drivers took a while to sort out on their end. Focusrite has their stuff together and their preamps are nice. The control panel is a lot more intuitive for routing.

Hell it was just a better device.
Just to confirm this was whilst the full mix (drums, bass, keys etc) was playing and only the dry track was reamping through the axe?

I've also looked at the focusrite 6i6 but I like the layout of the lexicon io42 a little better but it's really hard to find any reviews on them. Both have similar specs.

Just to confirm this was whilst the full mix (drums, bass, keys etc) was playing and only the dry track was reamping through the axe?

I've also looked at the focusrite 6i6 but I like the layout of the lexicon io42 a little better but it's really hard to find any reviews on them. Both have similar specs.
Yes.

I've had a Lexicon USB unit years ago....for about a day. The latency was awful. I'd do some research. The focusrite demolished it in every measurable way, but like I said that was years ago. The Lexicon was really cheap plastic too. Nothing good about it at all.

Yes.

I've had a Lexicon USB unit years ago....for about a day. The latency was awful. I'd do some research. The focusrite demolished it in every measurable way, but like I said that was years ago. The Lexicon was really cheap plastic too. Nothing good about it at all.
Oh really, these are fairly modern brushed steel front panel units with visual level meters, look very slick, like I said it's very hard to find reviews though, guess I'll scratch that one off the list.

I read that the Scarlett interfaces have poor latency compared to most of the modern interfaces?

Oh really, these are fairly modern brushed steel front panel units with visual level meters, look very slick, like I said it's very hard to find reviews though, guess I'll scratch that one off the list.

I read that the Scarlett interfaces have poor latency compared to most of the modern interfaces?
I wouldn't scratch it off the list just based on my experience from something by them a few years ago. I would be concerned about a lack of reviews though; that usually doesn't mean good even though in my experience when something is bad people will share their opinion a lot faster.

I've been trying to Re-Amp using the S/PDIF method and I'm not having any success. I'm using a first generation MOTU Ultralite into Cubase 8 on a Mac. I'm wondering if anyone has a similar setup that's working correctly. Thanks to all.

I'm using a first generation MOTU Ultralite into Cubase 8 on a Mac. I'm wondering if anyone has a similar setup that's working correctly. Thanks to all.

Can't answer yet, but I have a similar setup only with a MOTU 828mk3 hybrid instead of Ultralite, and plan to try this reamping setup over the weekend. Will report back soon.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom