Guide me to what Receiver/Transmitter for In-Ears to buy?

Tremonti

Fractal Fanatic
I already have Sleek Audio dual driver custom molds and this is my first time looking to the In-Ear monitoring. Also don't buy 600 hertz stuff right? Because it's being taken over?

I have the Sennheiser IEM G3. It's a bit pricey, but I have never had any issues with it. My bassist runs the Carvin IEM unit, and he's happy with it. The Sennheiser will run you about a grand new with one receiver, the Carvin runs about $430 on their site.

I have a Carvin EM900, but haven't used it yet (band on hiatus).

LOL so why am I even responding? Carvin occasionally puts things on sale, so if you sign up for their mailing list, you sometimes get coupon codes for discounts. I got the EM900 for $343 during their Memorial Day sale.

If you're looking for a solid budget offering, the CAD stagepass / stageselect (same product, I don't know why there are 2 names) is pretty great. It runs in the 400 band, is reasonably well built, and works well especially considering the price point. I think my bandmate bought his for like $250? Has surprisingly good range too.

The earbuds that come with it are pretty decent for an included set. Sounds like you've got some nice custom molds already though.

The major downsides are:
1. Small number of available channels
2. No advanced features like panning / "more me" config on the receiver pack
3. Noticeable loss of low end (can be compensated for by boosting the lows before going into the transmitter)

If I knew about this at the time that I bought my Audio Technica M2, I would have bought the CAD system instead. Great starter system.

http://cadaudio.com/products/product-application/stageselectiem1

I have a Carvin EM900, but haven't used it yet (band on hiatus).

LOL so why am I even responding? Carvin occasionally puts things on sale, so if you sign up for their mailing list, you sometimes get coupon codes for discounts. I got the EM900 for $343 during their Memorial Day sale.
Rated one of the best of the less expensive IEM systems.

I already have Sleek Audio dual driver custom molds and this is my first time looking to the In-Ear monitoring. Also don't buy 600 hertz stuff right? Because it's being taken over?
If you are getting your monitor mix from the board, then get an IEM that lets you switch stereo to 2 channel mono and run your guitar into one channel and the rest of the band thru the other. Then you can adjust your guitar level as needed in your mix and not under the control of someone els.

If you are getting your monitor mix from the board, then get an IEM that lets you switch stereo to 2 channel mono and run your guitar into one channel and the rest of the band thru the other. Then you can adjust your guitar level as needed in your mix and not under the control of someone els.
That depends on the board... Pretty much all the digital mixers out there allow for individual mixes.

That depends on the board... Pretty much all the digital mixers out there allow for individual mixes.
Our board does have individual monitor mix (thank god) but with such a variation in dynamics and different instruments playing in each song plus room differences, I sometimes I'm glad I can turn just me up or down in my ears a bit.

I recently got a smokin' deal on sennheiser IEW G3 shortly after the broadband auction was announced. This was back in April and it expired May 1st - payed $698 each for 2

The sennheiser are pricey, however you can dial in your frequencies manually and if you have a large system - this is very useful.
I also chose sennheiser for the recharging capabilities.

I also have a set of Mipro 808 and 909 which are also great as well. Again, got a stupid deal on the 909's used on the bay.

I would recommend both as great units... they have their advantages and disadvantages

I bought the Shure PSM300 a couple months ago. I already have the Sennheiser ew 300 iem G3. What's your questions? I'd be happy to answer them if I can.
Great! Differences between those two? Battery life, sound and drop outs being of most concern. Thx

Great! Differences between those two? Battery life, sound and drop outs being of most concern. Thx
Ok, I have had no dropouts with the Sennheiser but sometimes I get weird noises when I walk around, I have had some dropouts with the Shure and sometimes they can have a slight noise when it happens which throws off your concentration while playing. Battery life is long on the Sennheiser and short on the Shure, I can't give you any specific hourly rate because I just rehearse until they die and for gigs I always use new batteries. Both units sound good but I like the more open sound of the Shure. The sennheiser has a loud hiss that I don't like at all. The Shure has about half the hiss of the Sennheiser. The Shure is simple and straight forward while the Sennheiser is a little complex. I can do a channel scan on the Shure really easy and that seems to keep the dropouts to a minimum. I'm currently using the Shure even though it has some drawbacks, I like the sound and less hiss is nice.

Ok, I have had no dropouts with the Sennheiser but sometimes I get weird noises when I walk around, I have had some dropouts with the Shure and sometimes they can have a slight noise when it happens which throws off your concentration while playing. Battery life is long on the Sennheiser and short on the Shure, I can't give you any specific hourly rate because I just rehearse until they die and for gigs I always use new batteries. Both units sound good but I like the more open sound of the Shure. The sennheiser has a loud hiss that I don't like at all. The Shure has about half the hiss of the Sennheiser. The Shure is simple and straight forward while the Sennheiser is a little complex. I can do a channel scan on the Shure really easy and that seems to keep the dropouts to a minimum. I'm currently using the Shure even though it has some drawbacks, I like the sound and less hiss is nice.
There is an inherent noise floor with any IEM system... and with all "live audio" you need to gain stage your IEM system too... Not enough input level and you'll get more "hiss" the more you turn up the receiver. Too much and you'll have very little control over the receiver volume. Use the level meters to determine transmitter input levels.
Setting limiter levels helps too.. One could easily make the PSM200 "pump" if not tweaked properly.

I've used Carvin EM900, PSM200 and the Senn G3, with the G3 being for about a year now and about 80 gigs. Configured correctly.. the G3 is the hands down winner. I paid $720 for the G3 NIB.

I use 2800 mAh rechargeable AA's in the G3 receiver, and have managed up to 14 hrs use out.
It's been flawless.
highly recommended.

There is an inherent noise floor with any IEM system... and with all "live audio" you need to gain stage your IEM system too... Not enough input level and you'll get more "hiss" the more you turn up the receiver. Too much and you'll have very little control over the receiver volume. Use the level meters to determine transmitter input levels.
Setting limiter levels helps too.. One could easily make the PSM200 "pump" if not tweaked properly.

I've used Carvin EM900, PSM200 and the Senn G3, with the G3 being for about a year now and about 80 gigs. Configured correctly.. the G3 is the hands down winner. I paid $720 for the G3 NIB.

I use 2800 mAh rechargeable AA's in the G3 receiver, and have managed up to 14 hrs use out.
It's been flawless.
highly recommended.

Agree with this.

I ended up selling my G3 though. I just prefer wired in ears. The clarity with wired vs. wireless is so drastic to me, I go wired.

Agree with this.

I ended up selling my G3 though. I just prefer wired in ears. The clarity with wired vs. wireless is so drastic to me, I go wired.
Each to their own.. Whatever works for you.. I have no issues with my G3 and my 1964 A8's buds.. AWESOME audio, and I like being untethered..:)

Each to their own.. Whatever works for you.. I have no issues with my G3 and my 1964 A8's buds.. AWESOME audio, and I like being untethered..:)

I use a long 1/8" extension cable. I also run wired into the Fractal lol.

In the act I'm in now... we do not move at all.

I use a long 1/8" extension cable. I also run wired into the Fractal lol.

In the act I'm in now... we do not move at all.
Same here at church.. either OFF the Aviom or the Behringer P16M - depending on which worship center I'm in :)
Secular? WIRELESS all the way !! :)

I have the PSM300 with the included 200 series buds. I used them on shows for a while, then found myself pulling one out to hear stage volume as we didnt run an ambient mic. My experience, if you arent running your own monitors, dont even try to run IEM's as its extremely distracting when you have a bad mix. I havent gone back to them in months because I miss loud guitar, but ive gone back and forth with the idea of just getting upgraded buds with triple drivers minimum to get a better spectrum response.

Back
Top Bottom