Guess which is the Axe FX

AnswerInfinity

Inspired
I did a vid thing just for a goof. Comparing the Axe FX and Kemper in a little mini guessing game type thing. It's nothing scientific - Just using presets as is. I'm curious to see how many of ya'll identify the Fractal just by hearing it.

I did take to heart the comments on one of my other threads about using the same IR when doing these and have started doing the individual amp shootouts that way. My 5153 was the last one without that, but after that it's all same IR to same IR. I appreciate the great input I get here!

I think you had a more interesting approach this time. I'm kind of tired of the comparison videos, where one first tweaks each modeler as close as possible and then starts to split hairs and ask the listener if they hear all these micro details. Add a full gain sound and a busy mix and it doesn't make much difference anymore.

Comparing stock presets is fair because that's kind of the starting point for many of the users. If the stock presets sound good already, the user can tweak those tones better or worse for his liking. Great comparison.

For what it comes to guessing, I picked all of the amps correct and thought Fractal was the one sounding better. Fractal tones were more dynamic and the distortion or overdrive sounded more dynamic. Compared to Fractal, Kemper sounded dull, low resolution, thin or lacked dimension. In the Vox amp I had a thought the latter amp could've been Kemper. Because there was such a massive difference I thought the second amp could've been really tweaked and polished afterwards. Nevertheless I picked Fractal as the second one and it turned out it was just the Fractal stock amp... I think the Kemper high gain sound was better in the mix, but really lacked interest on its own. All this from listening through MacBook Air speakers.

EDIT: I forgot to add I really liked that you had examples from different genres. Great idea!

Last edited:
I watched the isolated tones first and skipped the commentary, without knowing that the answers were given after each. Still, I guessed correctly on all 4. It's easy to ear if you listen for the really tight bass of the Kemper. Dead giveaway.

I think you had a more interesting approach this time. I'm kind of tired of the comparison videos, where one first tweaks each modeler as close as possible and then starts to split hairs and ask the listener if they hear all these micro details. Add a full gain sound and a busy mix and it doesn't make much difference anymore.

Comparing stock presets is fair because that's kind of the starting point for many of the users. If the stock presets sound good already, the user can tweak those tones better or worse for his liking. Great comparison.

For what it comes to guessing, I picked all of the amps correct and thought Fractal was the one sounding better. Fractal tones were more dynamic and the distortion or overdrive sounded more dynamic. Compared to Fractal, Kemper sounded dull, low resolution, thin or lacked dimension. In the Vox amp I had a thought the latter amp could've been Kemper. Because there was such a massive difference I thought the second amp could've been really tweaked and polished afterwards. Nevertheless I picked Fractal as the second one and it turned out it was just the Fractal stock amp... I think the Kemper high gain sound was better in the mix, but really lacked interest on its own. All this from listening through MacBook Air speakers.

EDIT: I forgot to add I really liked that you had examples from different genres. Great idea!

Thanks for checking it out. It was definitely a more fun video to make when just using a preset for the most part. I got to focus on making it moremusical and just playing.

Back
Top Bottom